• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Finances and Ownership of Smaller professional Football Clubs.

Plus now in the modern world we have health and safety.
Fans can only take a club so far.

I don't think we can compare the 1950's and today, the football World has changed so much with the riches on offer so much more. Its the same for property prices hence why people under 40 are struggling to get on the property ladder.

Besides building roots hall wasn't free, some investment was needed even if its small beer by todays standards.

Fan owned football clubs are a great idea but all clubs would need to be fan owned otherwise fan owned clubs will always be at a disadvantage

The problem with some fan owned clubs is that they try and take the history of their old club which has folded! https://www.burytimes.co.uk/news/20218890.bury-fc-legends-return-match-gigg-lane-burnley-fc/ I wonder about them.

Last edited:
Plus now in the modern world we have health and safety.
Fans can only take a club so far.
Yes, the fans-owned model will only take a club so far . I think it could work just fine for us in the National League and EFL Div. 1 & 2 but not beyond . A lot of folk get the jitters at the very idea of a club being run by its fans but this model would allow us to determine what happens at the club and best of all we can shape our own destiny. The truth is we have become very Ron-dependant over the last 20 years and are now frightened of facing up to a future without him. But there is nothing to worry about . Lets consider the case of Wycombe Wanderers , They were 100% owned by their Supporters Trust for many years. Everything was going well on the pitch . But they got themselves into debt -about £2.2m -and all the doomsters believed they were headed for the graveyard . Not a bit of it . They advertised for a private owner . Several interested parties came forward . They used their controlling interest to determine who their new owner would be . American, Rob Couhig ,was chosen and he cleared the outstanding debt and put in a further £1m to refinance the club. At the end of the 2021/22 season they reached the EFL play-off final and only narrowly lost out to Sunderland. All the fans are delighted with how their team are performing. The ability to shape your own future is a prize well worth having .

Ghost of C.F.

I take your very valid points on board.​

How can you see that taking place at RH?
Has it even been suggested as yet?

One huge problem at the moment is the cost of living crisis.

Bury F C have reformed but who knows if it is a five minute wonder.
AFC Bury started up and the club has been a success so far.

I am not sure of SUFC's debts (like many people at a guess).

The thing is that reformed clubs want to be debt free...But NOT history free!

Yes, the fans-owned model will only take a club so far . I think it could work just fine for us in the National League and EFL Div. 1 & 2 but not beyond . A lot of folk get the jitters at the very idea of a club being run by its fans but this model would allow us to determine what happens at the club and best of all we can shape our own destiny. The truth is we have become very Ron-dependant over the last 20 years and are now frightened of facing up to a future without him. But there is nothing to worry about . Lets consider the case of Wycombe Wanderers , They were 100% owned by their Supporters Trust for many years. Everything was going well on the pitch . But they got themselves into debt -about £2.2m -and all the doomsters believed they were headed for the graveyard . Not a bit of it . They advertised for a private owner . Several interested parties came forward . They used their controlling interest to determine who their new owner would be . American, Rob Couhig ,was chosen and he cleared the outstanding debt and put in a further £1m to refinance the club. At the end of the 2021/22 season they reached the EFL play-off final and only narrowly lost out to Sunderland. All the fans are delighted with how their team are performing. The ability to shape your own future is a prize well worth having .
I don't think even that's true anymore, last seasons VNL and L2 champions had very wealthy single owners who have spent a lot of money, in both leagues there is far more investment than even 5 years ago. L1 has become a bit like the championship with teams spending a lot of money to try and get out of it

I don't think even that's true anymore, last seasons VNL and L2 champions had very wealthy single owners who have spent a lot of money, in both leagues there is far more investment than even 5 years ago. L1 has become a bit like the championship with teams spending a lot of money to try and get out of it
There is certainly a lot of money going into some of the clubs in the lower divisions and so it can be a situation where the playing field is not very level at all . I think variety is the spice of life so don't really object to rich owners coming in and giving it a go . As I see it the problem isn't when they come in - its more about the problems that can occur when they leave and the level of funding available suddenly falls off a cliff . If those film stars left Wrexham the club could find itself in big trouble .

Ghost of C.F.

I take your very valid points on board.​

How can you see that taking place at RH?
Has it even been suggested as yet?

One huge problem at the moment is the cost of living crisis.

Bury F C have reformed but who knows if it is a five minute wonder.
AFC Bury started up and the club has been a success so far.

I am not sure of SUFC's debts (like many people at a guess).

The thing is that reformed clubs want to be debt free...But NOT history free!
You seem to be interested in the process that would need to take place for us to adopt a fans-owned or charity-owned model for the club .
It is really a question of self determination by stakeholders and a recognition of the existing ownership situation that applies at any given club.
Here at Blues we have a situation where Ron Martin and his companies own approx. 70%
of the shares issued by SUFC Ltd . He also owns the Roots Hall Stadium and a lot of the land at Fossetts Farm where the new stadium will be built . This means that no hostile bid for ownership of the club can be successful . Any change of ownership must have the agreement and blessing of Ron himself .

So, what needs to be established at the outset is whether stakeholders want to continue with a private owner or would prefer to move to a different ownership model . It would be for the Zone to decide if it wanted to play a part in the decision-making process. The pros and cons of private ownership would be debated and then a poll taken on the Zone to establish the majority view . If the poll result is that private ownership is preferred then nothing happens at all . Ron is left free to decide when and to which third party he wants to sell the club . On the other hand if the vote is in favour of some form of fans-ownership then the Shrimpers Trust are notified of this outcome . They are the only people at the club who have a proper system of governance in place . A democratic decision - making process is important here . The Trust need to seek the views of their own members by means of a ballot . They also need to seek the views of other stakeholders such as members of staff and club sponsors . If the outcome of the exercise is in favour of fans-ownership then an '' Expression of Interest '' to that effect is sent to Ron . He then considers the situation and makes his decision .If he is in agreement then negotiations can begin on the terms by which the changeover will take place . Of course the new stadium development will go ahead as planned because this project is being undertaken by Roots Hall Ltd and not Southend United Football Club Ltd . Ron has Agreements For Lease (AFL's) in place between these two companies in respect of the new football stadium and new training ground facilities so his interests are being fully protected .Fans need to give this matter careful consideration and start to appreciate that the funds that Ron can put into our club are not limitless and the day may come when the well runs dry . And non-payment of staff is your first warning sign .

Back