• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Fish Fight

Roxy

Manager
(Not sure if I have posted this in the correct Forum but if not am sure a Mod can move- thanks).

Has anyone else been watching the various TV programmes hosted by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ramsey? I had read about the Discard practice before but did not realise the sheer extent of it, a real eye opener. Such a completely wasteful and ludicrous policy which helps no-one, all down to the poor European current fishing legislation and practices.
Also the programme with Gordon Ramsey last night about the trade in Shark fins was both compelling, disturbing and sickening.
Link below for any other like minded zoners who feel strongly and would like to sign up to the campaign
http://www.fishfight.net/sign-up/.

Agreed Rox. That was some of the most shocking and distressing telly I watched last night.

This is something that Hugh F-W has been banging on about for a long while on his River Cottage programmes and finally it seems to be reaching the public eye. The discard rule is both shameful and a disgraceful waste. The EU fisheries policy along with the CAP needs to be overhauled immediately, but sadly it won't happen.

It's not just the EU policies though, the majority of any catch is made up of fish that the fisherman have no interest/abilty to sell and they also get thrown back dead.

It's not just the EU policies though, the majority of any catch is made up of fish that the fisherman have no interest/abilty to sell and they also get thrown back dead.

Very good point. It needs the Supermarkets, Fish Markets and Fish & Chip shop owners to all get on board to create a new demand for the less popular fish.
I might ask Ron if we can get Mackeral Baps on the Menu on a Match Day - no need for onions then!

Signed as requested Rox..That programme last evening was shocking to say the least.

I think you will find most the guy's on here will be happy if you sort your baps out for the home games....:happy:

This is something that Hugh F-W has been banging on about for a long while on his River Cottage programmes and finally it seems to be reaching the public eye. The discard rule is both shameful and a disgraceful waste. The EU fisheries policy along with the CAP needs to be overhauled immediately, but sadly it won't happen.

I fear you are right Harry.
Consumers can play their part too by creating a demand.
I would not be surprised to see the more astute supermarkets such as Waitrose or M & S having the likes of Dabs, Pouting etc on their fish counters if asked enough for it. Mind you with Jamie's Sainsbury connection I would have thought he would be banging on their door too.

Signed as requested Rox..That programme last evening was shocking to say the least.

I think you will find most the guy's on here will be happy if you sort your baps out for the home games....:happy:

Ha, I thought as soon as I'd pressed the post button that that was a mistake!:unsure:

I was subjected to dancing on ice so don't know what this is all about - can someone give me a simpletons answer about what the fish fight is?

I think.... That it is something to do with the fact that of all fish caught by fisherman, more than half is tossed back into the sea dead.

I fear you are right Harry.
Consumers can play their part too by creating a demand.
I would not be surprised to see the more astute supermarkets such as Waitrose or M & S having the likes of Dabs, Pouting etc on their fish counters if asked enough for it. Mind you with Jamie's Sainsbury connection I would have thought he would be banging on their door too.

Seems like the only way to create demand is through petitions/campaigns like these though, consumers can't start buying the less popular fish as the supermarkets don't stock it, so people continue to buy what is available, and supermarkets say "but it's what people want". Vicious circle.

Why is everyone ignoring the elephant in the room?

We all know who's fault it is there are no fish left, it's the 'vegetarians' fault.

Like most omnivores I only eat fish responsibly as part of a surf and turf but these tree hugging, hemp smoking ****s are responsible for sweeping the sea clean whilst all the time claiming to occupy the moral high ground.

Last edited:
This is something that Hugh F-W has been carping on about for a long while on his River Cottage programmes and finally it seems to be reaching the public eye. The discard rule is both shameful and a disgraceful waste. The EU fisheries policy along with the CAP needs to be overhauled immediately, but sadly it won't happen.

Edited for fishaccuracy. :net:

Back