• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Fishing Thread.

Man that's gotta be hardcore fishing:D To be fair, i'd love to drag home some Cods from the deep.

Sea fishing...how do they fish off the pier? I mean actually raise the fish up once caught onto the pierdeck. I can't see it's possible to just reel 'em in, having the fish dangling off the hook. Never thought about watching them.

No problem for species up to a couple of pounds. For a decent lunker they use a drop net with rope attached, which usually one of the regulars will have at hand. Believe me, jigging with a 1lb lead pirk in 250 ft of water is back breaking stuff if your not fit, and pulling up a 15 lb cod or ling a few times gives you arms like Popeye!

No problem for species up to a couple of pounds. For a decent lunker they use a drop net with rope attached, which usually one of the regulars will have at hand. Believe me, jigging with a 1lb lead pirk in 250 ft of water is back breaking stuff if your not fit, and pulling up a 15 lb cod or ling a few times gives you arms like Popeye!

You try and drag up onto the pier at Southend and that's a lot of pulling, your right! Amazing stuff, think i'll suggest a walk up the pier soon with the old lady so that i can see these boys cracking on.

I'm off to buy my piking gear in the morning as i've been promised a stint on the Chelmer on Monday with a piking regular so i'm very excited about this, i need the experience with someone before cracking the Broads on my own in a week or two. I just wanna see my 5year old's face when i pull up a double! That'll be the photo, getting his reaction i'm sure of it!

OK, my first attempt at piking today and obviously i blanked! Though came close with two large Perch following my lure about, most annoying that they didn't hook up with me.
My mate pulled out a small Pike though, so not all was lost. The rig consists of 12lb mainline with a wire trace tied to it via a swivel and then the choice of lure/plug attached to the end. One of the easiest rigs to do.

So much casting, gave me much needed practice in the three hours we were on the bank. Must say though, the weather was great and it was enomous fun and now i can't wait for the Norfolk Broads on my own next week. If anyone has any piking tips before i go, feel free!

Tight lines.

Great idea for a thread Sa2V...........I used to coarse fish all the time in England but there is no coarse fishing hardly at all up here, just Sea and Fly.

I have purchased a Fly and Sea outfit and have started with the sea gear with some success but still struggling with the Fly gear. I Need to go with someone who can Fly fish as it really takes a bit of practise.

you know how it is Davey boy, it's all in the wrist.FYI I caught an eel in the Don

OK, my first attempt at piking today and obviously i blanked! Though came close with two large Perch following my lure about, most annoying that they didn't hook up with me.
My mate pulled out a small Pike though, so not all was lost. The rig consists of 12lb mainline with a wire trace tied to it via a swivel and then the choice of lure/plug attached to the end. One of the easiest rigs to do.

So much casting, gave me much needed practice in the three hours we were on the bank. Must say though, the weather was great and it was enomous fun and now i can't wait for the Norfolk Broads on my own next week. If anyone has any piking tips before i go, feel free!

Tight lines.

Norfolk broads, In a boat or on the bank?

you know how it is Davey boy, it's all in the wrist.FYI I caught an eel in the Don

What part of the Don mate?

There are some really good beats along both the Don and the Dee, RM comes up to North East Scotland for a touch of Salmon and Trout fishing now and again.

Next time you are over John.....you can show me your wrist action and whip!!!

I'll be banking all the time (yay).

Travel light ,keep moving, cover as much bank as you can, find the fish,dont wait for the fish to find you. When you fish the broads you dont know the swims so dont waste your time in fishless swims hope you hit it off. Im a member of ringwood and district association. I just sort of fish down at the royalty fishery christchurch on the avon, or at throop fisheries for barbel and chub.

Travel light ,keep moving, cover as much bank as you can, find the fish,dont wait for the fish to find you. When you fish the broads you dont know the swims so dont waste your time in fishless swims hope you hit it off. Im a member of ringwood and district association. I just sort of fish down at the royalty fishery christchurch on the avon, or at throop fisheries for barbel and chub.

Cheers sf. Thankfully the piking rig is like the easiest rig to have. My reel is already full of 12lb line with a wire trace tied on, a swivel and simple clip enables me to connect to rod and chuck on a spinner/lure in seconds. All i really need then is a landing mat, forceps, camera and landing net.

The rest goes in the motor for as and when or if i need anything. I was amazed at how many casts i made, my arm feels sore today holding that rod and winding the reel in and out, but such fun. I have a selection of eight lures/spinners and hopefully i won't need to go down the deadbait road as i think my rig will be more involved.

My mate says don't bother with the piking glove, but i think i'll play it safe;)

Tight lines!

Tight lines.

How did you get on!!!! did you go!!!!

This thread wasn't what I expected by the title,

I was thinking it would be a thread where people made extreme and outlandish statements about players or management in the hope of eliciting aggressive responses from other posters....

Its all Tilsons fault we are in this financial mess, Moussa would be a better player if he was a bit shorter. Ron Martin should have done more to lure Kaka and Benzema here this summer :net:

Never fished and prob never will but i do like to watch the carp jump out of the water to catch flys whilst im sitting on my terrace with a drink in hand.

How did you get on!!!! did you go!!!!

Crap and yes!

Stuck a livebait roachie on the hooks and threw him in, cut a dead mackerel in half and lobbed that in on ledger and bite alarm. Chucked a spinner out and various lures and guess what? Not a bloody sausage!

River waveney was crap.

The wife said ,with two nights left to go and the mackerel smelling out the freezer, why don't you go fishing tonight? Well i looked at the clock and it was 21.00 and i thought bugger it why don't i indeed. So i sorted out all my stuff and drove off about midnight.

Thought i'd drive to the River Bure this time so at about 1.00 in the morning i'm driving up this lane that sat-nav says ends at the river.
Well, when i say dark, i talking pitch freakin black no moon. Gets to the end of the road almost and it's so dark i can't even see the bleedin river. So i jumps out of the pick-up and wanders in front of the headlights and ah yes, THAT'S the river there in front of me! Anyway, sod's law they're doing the bankside up at this place called Martham Staithe and it's cones and metal fencing everywhere. Bollocks, methinks.

Sat -Nav says try a place called Repps Staithe 10 mins away, so i backs up this tiny lane and does a 10 point turn to get the hell outta there when who should come the other way? It needs no explanation that the OB are prowling down dark country lanes at half one in the morning. So after explaining what the hell i'm up to i'm on my merry way again.

Repps Staithe,( all roads leading to rivers or broads in Norfolk are called staithes) this is a tiny road out of the back of Repps village which goes on for 2 miles. In darkness. Then you basically end up at the river. No sign to say you might drive into the river if you ain't careful and thankfully, i was careful. But once again i were thwarted as building works at the bankside were ongoing here too. More bollocks, i thought.

At that point i gave up and drove the hour or whatever back down to Beccles to get a decent bankside spot to fish at least.
But the truth be told, on my own, no way was i getting on the overgrown river bank in the middle of the night. Yes, my bottle had gone. 'Till daybreak at 0415ish that is. I've never heard so many noises at night in the middle of miles of marshland and riverside. Scary as ****!

was i getting on the overgrown river bank in the middle of the night. Yes, my bottle had gone. 'Till daybreak at 0415ish that is. I've never heard so many noises at night in the middle of miles of marshland and riverside. Scary as ****!

Have a go at deep sea wreck fishing off the north sea. 18 miles out fishing in 220 ft depth and a fresh northerly appears from nowhere. The swell is chucking waves over the gunnels and all your gear is getting thrown all over the deck, and you can hardly stand up. A 2 hour steam back to port and your walking like your ****ed for the next 12 hours. Great times, roll on the next trip!. Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way!.

Have a go at deep sea wreck fishing off the north sea. 18 miles out fishing in 220 ft depth and a fresh northerly appears from nowhere. The swell is chucking waves over the gunnels and all your gear is getting thrown all over the deck, and you can hardly stand up. A 2 hour steam back to port and your walking like your ****ed for the next 12 hours. Great times, roll on the next trip!. Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way!.

Hahaha! That is just brilliant. Balls of steel eh!
You've made me sound like a real pussy:)

Tight lines.

Hahaha! That is just brilliant. Balls of steel eh!
You've made me sound like a real pussy:)

Tight lines.

I'll tell you what, i prayed more times in that journey back than all my life!. Mind you 3 stone of cod fillets helped me forget it quite swiftly. For the experience of your life spend a few days fishing out of Whitby. Apart from hauling up lunkers from the depths, you see Minke and Pilot whales, pods of Dolphins and Porpoises following the boat, plus Porbeagle sharks and Seals biting in half the lovely 12 lb cod you've nearly got to the surface. Believe me, great times every year.

I'll tell you what, i prayed more times in that journey back than all my life!. Mind you 3 stone of cod fillets helped me forget it quite swiftly. For the experience of your life spend a few days fishing out of Whitby. Apart from hauling up lunkers from the depths, you see Minke and Pilot whales, pods of Dolphins and Porpoises following the boat, plus Porbeagle sharks and Seals biting in half the lovely 12 lb cod you've nearly got to the surface. Believe me, great times every year.

:D awesome stuff.
I spoke to a few guys casting off the beaches in Lowestoft and they were telling me the size of the hooks they use , i thought freakin heck you really could catch a whale! 30lb braid line too if i remember. 3 stone of cod fillets?
Just bootiful. I love a cod, great looking fish too. How big do cod go up to?

Also what do you use as hookbait, is it ragworms or such like?

sorry, i dont have much interest in fishing, i thought this thread would be about winding people up... but having had a quick skim, i cant believe you've gone nearly two pages and not used..

:net::net::net::net::net:

Back