• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Fishing Thread.

sorry, i dont have much interest in fishing, i thought this thread would be about winding people up... but having had a quick skim, i cant believe you've gone nearly two pages and not used..

:net::net::net::net::net:

Fishing's a bit like marmite, either you cant get enough or you detest it.
Don't get me wrong i love marmite but that's a whole new thread.

:D awesome stuff.
I spoke to a few guys casting off the beaches in Lowestoft and they were telling me the size of the hooks they use , i thought freakin heck you really could catch a whale! 30lb braid line too if i remember. 3 stone of cod fillets?
Just bootiful. I love a cod, great looking fish too. How big do cod go up to?

Also what do you use as hookbait, is it ragworms or such like?

The U.K. record for a boat caught cod on rod and line is 56lb's which was caught off Whitby in 1992 (in Norway they grow to 8olb plus). Fishing factory boats from Spain, France and Russia have done irreplacable damage to cod stocks in the last decade. However, every year there are still a few 30 lb lunkers hauled up and the best bait in the north sea is either a whole squid or fresh fillet of mackerel on a 7/0 hook ( pretty big). Out of whitby we use 50lb braid with a 80lb mono leader of about 5ft as a 15lb Ling (part of the cod family with very sharp teeth) can easily chomp through anything lighter. I have about 9 fishing trips up there every year and catch enough cod (and ling/pollock) to last a year. I have my own freezer indoors as the other half moans about the odour!.

Fishing's a bit like marmite, either you cant get enough or you detest it.
Don't get me wrong i love marmite but that's a whole new thread.

Totally agree I do love fishing however my life is too busy for me to take time out for this great hobby.

Although when I do goto France the hols I always make sure the cottage is by the side of a river and has a pool so that whilst the family are sunbathing I am sitting on the river bank with a cold beer in hand and the rod in the other. That is a great holiday, nice and relaxing.

Right a slight change of taack on this thread.

i am 37 and have never fished in my life! But would like to try partly so in the future i can take my little boy.

Question is very simple How do i start?

Right a slight change of taack on this thread.

i am 37 and have never fished in my life! But would like to try partly so in the future i can take my little boy.

Question is very simple How do i start?

My exact question a few months ago! Since then i have caught, now i'm confident to go and catch bigger!
Get yourself a float rod, one that will catch some carp up to double figures and also take small roach at the same time ie not too weak and not too strong.
Then get youself a landing pole and net. Apply for a coarse fishing licence online and off you go.

Have you got a mate that does fishing? If yes then pester him to take you, the experience will prove invaluable.
You can fish for free on some rivers, or pay like £3 if you see a bailiff.
You can fish lakes on a day ticket usually 12 hr stints.
Tackle shops are a massive source of info and very helpful when they're not busy! I walked into Wickford Angling and told them i was a newbie and he set me up with loads of gear that i still use.

Look out for rods and reels that mates don't use anymore and ask how much they want for them.
For about £500 i've got rods, reels, umbrella and god knows what else i need to try and catch specimen fish.
Read as much as you can on the web about tying knots, where to fish, taking out the hooks...it's all there!
A book about the different types of fish and how to catch them with which baits to use will also prove invaluable.

Fishing can be very simple yet very technical at the same time! You'll hear all sort of stories, but it's about picking out the relevant info to you and the venue. As far as fishing with your boy, make sure the venue is well stocked as little boys get bored easily and make sure he does it all himself with a rod of his own!

Good luck, tight lines.

fi
Think i will go barbel fishing next week down on the royalty or on the stour[throop],started sea fishing when i was 7 years old[58 now] lived on top of the cliffs so spent all my time fishing southend pier cheap hobby.been in the leigh and westcliff club, also in the saas club, fished all over britain in matches with my lad in samf finals as far as newcastle[tyne river] the boy done good one the under 16s ,307 mile drive worth the drive.Fished the irish pairs in county kerry [dingle]irish lads like a drink or wot, fished on anglesea a few times differant. wot with fishing and football been around these shores . booked boats up all over the south for the clubs i was in well worth a try on the vickey emma [terry batt]for tope from bradwell ,or nearer home try colin bond from leigh[skerry bell]tight lines and up the blues

fi
Think i will go barbel fishing next week down on the royalty or on the stour[throop],started sea fishing when i was 7 years old[58 now] lived on top of the cliffs so spent all my time fishing southend pier cheap hobby.been in the leigh and westcliff club, also in the saas club, fished all over britain in matches with my lad in samf finals as far as newcastle[tyne river] the boy done good one the under 16s ,307 mile drive worth the drive.Fished the irish pairs in county kerry [dingle]irish lads like a drink or wot, fished on anglesea a few times differant. wot with fishing and football been around these shores . booked boats up all over the south for the clubs i was in well worth a try on the vickey emma [terry batt]for tope from bradwell ,or nearer home try colin bond from leigh[skerry bell]tight lines and up the blues

You must remember Brian Hoopers 'Fast Angler' and Sid Reddings 'Pauline' out of southend in the seventies, plus the Skerry Belle in it's prime and Brian Philips and John Knapps boats out from Leigh. Southend used to have the 3 day competition around whitsun (which was open to cheating) and Bradwell had their one in oct/nov when most boats would position themselves near the powerstation in anticipation of the schoals of whiting in the Blackwater. The good old days when John Rawle and Bob Cox pioneered the way forward with 'uptiding' and catches were plentiful.

fi

Sounds like you have fun with your lad, take a piccie of those Barbel and stick it up on here!

Tight lines

You must remember Brian Hoopers 'Fast Angler' and Sid Reddings 'Pauline' out of southend in the seventies, plus the Skerry Belle in it's prime and Brian Philips and John Knapps boats out from Leigh. Southend used to have the 3 day competition around whitsun (which was open to cheating) and Bradwell had their one in oct/nov when most boats would position themselves near the powerstation in anticipation of the schoals of whiting in the Blackwater. The good old days when John Rawle and Bob Cox pioneered the way forward with 'uptiding' and catches were plentiful.

Cor yeh the good old days,cant go back would like to loose 40 odd years off my age but hah ho the season starts. Your post a blast from the past started me thinking back the boats the names we was all young then.

Sounds like you have fun with your lad, take a piccie of those Barbel and stick it up on here!

Tight lines

Used to have fun with them they grow up so fast there old now 36 and 39 wheres the years gone. You going after pike, hope you get one soon then your really be HOOKED for a life bit like being a blue,im hooked on river fishing . Cant put a picture on here as its sort of bragin,old fisher man tales bit like well it was this big mans 6 inches womans 4 inches.lots of fisher men on this site plenty of angling goin on reel em in.!!!!

Used to have fun with them they grow up so fast there old now 36 and 39 wheres the years gone. You going after pike, hope you get one soon then your really be HOOKED for a life bit like being a blue,im hooked on river fishing . Cant put a picture on here as its sort of bragin,old fisher man tales bit like well it was this big mans 6 inches womans 4 inches.lots of fisher men on this site plenty of angling goin on reel em in.!!!!

Sod the bragging bit, i wanna see those trophys!
It can often take an enormous effort pulling out something special from the wet stuff so post it up here.
This ain't a friggin carp site where nobody reveals their whereabouts they caught or what bait they used, that's a load of bollocks. I think there's enough fish to go round eh?
I would say i'm hooked on fishing already. It's VERY addictive!

Strangely enough i don't go fishing to relax, i go to catch the buggers and i get darn frustated when i'm blanking for no great reason.
Other times it can get quite stressful. I imagine everybody that don't fish thinks it is boring, with nowt to do but sit there all day, how very wrong!

Cor yeh the good old days,cant go back would like to loose 40 odd years off my age but hah ho the season starts. Your post a blast from the past started me thinking back the boats the names we was all young then.

Just think what sort of catches we would have had if Shads and Sidewinder sandeels were available in 'the good old days'!

Smoothound fishing Selsey on Friday.
hound1.jpg

Anyone got any advice for using running rigs, fishing for Mr Carp?

I'm off on a lake in Lincolnshire at the weekend and intend to pre-bait the night before with PVA stringers stuffed with a peppery, hemp and groundbait special mix which i'll add a boilie or two then go back the next day and empty the place of carp;)

Need to visit the tackle shop and get the lead but i'm a little confused with what i need. The hair and boilie end is sorted, just the running lead i'm a bit :unsure:

My best fishing trip was to Rochford Res, night fishing with a bottle of Malibu in the keep net at 14. I remember nothing!!! Great times.

Sod the bragging bit, i wanna see those trophys!
It can often take an enormous effort pulling out something special from the wet stuff so post it up here.
This ain't a friggin carp site where nobody reveals their whereabouts they caught or what bait they used, that's a load of bollocks. I think there's enough fish to go round eh?
I would say i'm hooked on fishing already. It's VERY addictive!

Strangely enough i don't go fishing to relax, i go to catch the buggers and i get darn frustated when i'm blanking for no great reason.
Other times it can get quite stressful. I imagine everybody that don't fish thinks it is boring, with nowt to do but sit there all day, how very wrong!

Still hooked? All quiet on the pike front?Have you sussed it yet?So much 2 learn so little time ....Up date please....

Still hooked? All quiet on the pike front?Have you sussed it yet?So much 2 learn so little time ....Up date please....

Yeah loving it still! Lake in Lincolnshire we went to had a lot of stock, we pulled out alot in one night and stayed there with the rods out during the day to catch up on some shuteye. Only small carp in the lake it seemed, between 4-10lb but great fun fighting them in the dark!

I've joined Bayeswater Lake in Boreham on a day ticket basis but have blanked twice. Last week there were nine bivvies set up on his 4acre lake but only one guy caught, the one sending out a bait boat, he'd been on the same peg for 3 days and had a fish finder along with depositing 5kilo of bait at a time.
I guess we had no chance overnight!
He pulled out a 25lb-er as well.

I think it's piking time soon, get on that River Chelmer!

Last edited:
Back