• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DoDTS

The PL League Boss⭐⭐
I've got to say that the format of the play-offs seems excellent, two legged semi-final and the final at Wembley, and I personally wouldn't change anything however it is different elsewhere.

As I understand it in Scotland the Play-off for promotion to the Premiership this year was between Kilmarnock who finished second from bottom in the Premiership and Falkirk, Hibernian and Raith Rovers who finished 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the Championship. All play-off matches were over two Legs starting with 3rd playing 4th i.e Hibernian played Raith, Hibernian won through and then played Falkirk. Falkirk won this and then went on to play Kilmarnock in the final over two legs. So for Raith or Hibernian to gain promotion they would have had to play six matches, Falkirk four while Kilmarnock only two.

So how do we feel about that? remembering that in 2011-12 we finished the highest of the teams in the play-offs and went into the play-offs on equal terms with the others, while under the Scottish system we would have automatically been in the final.

Also tonight Frankfurt beat Nuremberg in the German play-offs but for a long time it looked like Nuremberg would win on away goals rule so how would you feel about away goals counting double in the play-off semis?

When the play-offs were first introduced in England, the format was similar, with the team above the relegation zone in the old division one playing the 3 teams in the Division 2 play off zone. I think Chelsea were involved one year and won to stay up(Just looked, in fact they were relegated as Middlesboro won). I think it is a fair suggesion to look at the team finishing highest in the play off positions getting some advantage. It would have definitely have been fair this season, but its not always the case, so I think it will be left as it is for now.

The powers that be have messed with the game enough ,leave it be,the team finishing the highest of the playoff sides already supposedly gets an advantage ,they play the team finishing the lowest of the playoff teams to begin with and not sure if im correct or not but get to choose whether they play the first leg home or away .
I think thats enough .

THis was discussed on Talksport the other day because Brighton "missed out".

They were talking about them having a wild card so the team in 3rd could lose a game and still get to the final.

Absurd.

As Buffalowolf says they already have advantages, they play the "worst" team in the play offs and have home advantage in the second leg.

Leave it as it is.

With Kilmarnock in effect being given a bye to the final it sounds like protectionism for the SPL. Something we don't want to encourage any more of in our own EPL

I much preferred the day out at Wembley as opposed to a two leg final.

I quite like the idea of

4th placed play off team plays 3rd placed team
winner plays second placed team
winner plays top placed team

The advantages of the above is that it means that your league positions matters, so its more likely that your last game(s) in the season still mean something . i.e today you are in he play offs but regardless of the result can not fall out of play offs and can not get automatics . Under this idea you may still be able to go up/down a position which would matter

Of course from a practical perspectve the above potentially adds more games for some teams so might not work from a practical perspective

I quite like the idea of

The advantages of the above is that it means that your league positions matters, so its more likely that your last game(s) in the season still mean something . i.e today you are in he play offs but regardless of the result can not fall out of play offs and can not get automatics . Under this idea you may still be able to go up/down a position which would matter

Of course from a practical perspectve the above potentially adds more games for some teams so might not work from a practical perspective

Ive always thought this is the way the playoffs should be done, specially this season when you see none of the teams finishing 3rd even making the final. It's the fairest way possible. Obviously you would have to lose the two legged games for it to work though.

^
The last two posts have it spot on.

I don't think there's any need to lose the 2 legged matches, though.

If you finish 6th or 5th, you should have to play more games to reach Wembley and for that team, it's potentially two home matches before Wembley, so extra revenue for them.

As I understand it in Scotland the Play-off for promotion to the Premiership this year was between Kilmarnock who finished second from bottom in the Premiership and Falkirk, Hibernian and Raith Rovers who finished 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the Championship. All play-off matches were over two Legs starting with 3rd playing 4th i.e Hibernian played Raith, Hibernian won through and then played Falkirk. Falkirk won this and then went on to play Kilmarnock in the final over two legs. So for Raith or Hibernian to gain promotion they would have had to play six matches, Falkirk four while Kilmarnock only two.
Reading that just makes me think of this...

[video=youtube;k4SuR8hTGMI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4SuR8hTGMI[/video]

It's all a money making thing. If you finish in 3rd, you should be promoted, not have to then play even more games

No, not just money making. The playoffs maintain a level of interest for many clubs and supporters. Countless matches which would be totally unimportant from about February onwards are given true meaning. Playoffs have been a tremendous boost at all levels of football and are here to stay.

The best (fairest) playoffs are the ones in which some benefit accrues from the higher finishing position in the League (other than the questionable advantage of home second leg). The playoffs at Levels 7 and 8 have the top finishing playoff team at home to the fourth and second placed home to third. The winners of these two one-off matches play a single final playoff at the venue of the higher placed team.

Suggestions that, at our level, the third placed team goes straight to the final with the fourth placed team playing the winners of a match (or matches) between the fifth and sixth places to determine their opponents, go some way to rewarding regular league performance. However the third placed team will arrive at Wembley with no competitive football for three weeks whilst their opponents will have been maintaining their momentum.

I quite like the idea of

But then you'll have one team potentially playing 4 more games and one having to not play at all for about 2 weeks.

Not sure having no game whilst the rest are playing is much of an advantage.

Also the moaning about just finishing outside the promotion spot, this would happen anyway even without playoffs, but obviously the difference being you don't lose out to a team 3 places below you!!

Personally the clubs know the situation at the start of the season, so I think it should be left as is

THis was discussed on Talksport the other day because Brighton "missed out".

They were talking about them having a wild card so the team in 3rd could lose a game and still get to the final.

Absurd.

As Buffalowolf says they already have advantages, they play the "worst" team in the play offs and have home advantage in the second leg.

Leave it as it is.

I don't listen to Talksport much, but if they thought it wasn't fair that Brighton 'missed out' then the only way to ensure that the team finishes third goes up is to do away with the play offs!

Personally I like them, it gives more teams something to play for as the season draws to a close and it must help put bums on seats.

If teams don't like the play offs then make sure you go up automatically. If you don't they give you a second chance.

Would be interesting how may play off winners over the years have been the top finishing side. Just as how many "champions" have won that ridiculous money making machine the "Champions League"

But then you'll have one team potentially playing 4 more games and one having to not play at all for about 2 weeks.

Not sure having no game whilst the rest are playing is much of an advantage.

Also the moaning about just finishing outside the promotion spot, this would happen anyway even without playoffs, but obviously the difference being you don't lose out to a team 3 places below you!!

Personally the clubs know the situation at the start of the season, so I think it should be left as is

There are pros and cons to every idea, however are you saying that if you came in the top okay off spot you would rather today's set up, rather than a guaranteed final at Wembley regardless of not having potentially played for a few weeks more than your opponent?

I think the semi-finals of the play-off's should be one leg, the team that finish higher are at home.
3rd v 6th
4th v 5th

Advantage earned by finishing higher. 6th have not earned equality with 3rd.

The only way I can see as a way forward to keep everyone happy is to make it part of the process that Southend United are in the final of the Play Offs if they finish below the automatic places. We are then given a four goal start for all the years of suffering we have endured and if by chance we blow that then another team from the division above is relegated to make way for us.
Shouldn't be too many arguments from the rest of the league. :unsure:

Back