• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Gamers Thread

I'm still continuing my epic game, think I'm in 2028 or something daft like that!

Started off as Chelmsford and got them to League 1, then Norwich came in for me who were languishing at the bottom end of League 1. I turned them around and after about 6 years just missed out on Champions League qualification. Newcastle then came in for me who have a mega rich chairman who injects about 60m every fortnight, but he has very high expectations and even though I'm 4th (they were mid table garbage) my position is under threat!!

PS3 Motion Controllers, 3D and Valve

Looks like Sony are going to be the first mainstream gaming company to release 3D gaming with a demo of Killzone 3 being shown at this years E3. Have been saying ever since I saw Avatar that computer gaming wouldn't take long to catch up and release some 3D titles.

The motion controllers look interesting as well, just for the fact you can play in dim lit rooms which you cannot do with the Wii by all accounts (correct me if i'm wrong) I still think this will be a way behind the Wii in terms of what they can do with it.

But the best piece of news for gaming geeks out there is that Valve are finally coming round to seeing that the PS3 is by far the best gaming console and are finally releasing a game which is due 2011.

Anyone thinking of investing in 3D TV's if 3D gaming were to become a mainstay? I for one would be far more interested in a 3D TV for gaming than I would for Films.

I don't think 3D gaming is really for me although I think that games consoles will be a big player in terms of getting those TV sets sold. Sony will be looking to aggressively push 3D through the PS3 in the next 12-18 months.

From what I can see the new motion controllers on the PS3 should be a lot better than the ones on the Wii are. They've had four years to perfect the technology and it's not like Sony to get them out there relatively early if they don't do what they are supposed to do.

PS3 Yellow light of death

Need some advice from techy's or the legal eagles here please.

My PS3 has now got the infamous "yellow light of death". Great. So the console is rendered useless at this point in time. I contacted Sony who told me that they would swap it, but at a cost of £130, as it's past it's warranty

So, any advice/help would be appreciated. I know it only carries a one-year warranty, but I think i'm right in saying that EU trading laws in 2 years, and UK trading laws state that it is 6 years.

I've had it 3 years, I'll be ****ed if i'm paying £130 for it to be replaced, when it cost me £600 initially.

I'm not a teccy, or particularly knowledgable about the law, but I say kick up a fuss. if it's broken, through no fault of your own, and is a regular occurence on ps3, how they can say it is fit for purpose I don't know. Do a bit of shouting, ask for some supervisors, works for me, I got a replacement 250gb instead of an 80gb because my 80gb broke, it was 6 months outside the warranty, but I shouted a little bit and they quickly got it organised ;)

I would say you dont have a leg to stand on. i took out the extended 3 year warranty on my new xbox after a similar row. 600 sheets ouch they saw you coming dude.
On the other hand claim on your house insurance say it broke during decorating ya know it got knocked off the unit type thing 2 of my mates said that an it worked for them otherwise ya screwed

FIFA World Cup 2010

Anyone got this?

Just picked it up for £20 online for the Wii and looking forward to 'wasting' a few hours this week.

Only bought at this price because I know it's not too long before FIFA 2011 and I have 2010.... ah well not got a lot else to splash my cash on at the moment!

I like it on PS3, play it alot, dont really like the idea of football games on wii though.

Got it on PS3 and absolutely love it. The gameplay is much improved from FIFA 10 and has a few other features like captain your country and qualifying to play with all countries, not just the ones in the World Cup. Only thing I dont like about it is the new penalty taking method, which is prettyy tricky!

Easily the best tournament game I've ever played, as older ones like Euro 2000 and World Cup 2002 get boring as you can only play as the teams in the tournament and can only do the actual tournament and friendlies, unlike this one.

but I shouted a little bit and they quickly got it organised ;)

The mug I spoke to clearly couldn't give a ****.

Well here's a list of doing it yourself (if its out of warranty and your handy with a soldering iron and PC insides go for it )

http://www.squidoo.com/fix-my-ps3 .

Failing that another £30 would propably get you brand new one ;)

That's an accident waiting to happen

I would say you dont have a leg to stand on. i took out the extended 3 year warranty on my new xbox after a similar row. 600 sheets ouch they saw you coming dude.
On the other hand claim on your house insurance say it broke during decorating ya know it got knocked off the unit type thing 2 of my mates said that an it worked for them otherwise ya screwed

£600 was the going price at that time for the super-duper package deal.

The six year UK law isn't as clear-cut as it sounds. I remember reading up a bit about it when the YLOD story hit Watchdog a few months back. You also need to take it up with the place that you bought it from rather than with Sony. From what I gather it's worth trying to blag it/cause a fuss and hope that the Manager at the shop doesn't know the law well because the law itself isn't designed for this sort of case.

I know someone who fixed it using the re-soldering route mentioned above but it tends not to be a permanent fix.

The six year UK law isn't as clear-cut as it sounds. I remember reading up a bit about it when the YLOD story hit Watchdog a few months back. You also need to take it up with the place that you bought it from rather than with Sony. From what I gather it's worth trying to blag it/cause a fuss and hope that the Manager at the shop doesn't know the law well because the law itself isn't designed for this sort of case.

I know someone who fixed it using the re-soldering route mentioned above but it tends not to be a permanent fix.

Unfortunately, I got it from Woolworths in Lakeside. So that's a non-starter.

I'll speak to trading standards and see what they say.

The thing that ****s me off the most, is the fact that 60% (this is only a rough estimate, as Sony won't release the real figures) of the early 60Gb models have gone pear-shaped, yet Sony still refuse to admit it's a manufacturing error.

Have just sorted this problem this week for me as it goes mate.

I found this guide online where you hairdry into the vents for 10-15 minutes which should temporarily get the playstation to work, then as soon as possible trade the console into Game or Gamestation for £150 quid credit note. Im putting this money towards a new 250gb one for another hundred or so.

Good luck with whatever you go with mate, its a pain.

Unfortunately, I got it from Woolworths in Lakeside. So that's a non-starter.

I'll speak to trading standards and see what they say.

The thing that ****s me off the most, is the fact that 60% (this is only a rough estimate, as Sony won't release the real figures) of the early 60Gb models have gone pear-shaped, yet Sony still refuse to admit it's a manufacturing error.

I don't know if that figure is right. Every estimate I've seen is around 10%. I've got the 60GB model so I'm obviously hoping that your estimate is wrong...

Good luck with whatever you go with mate, its a pain.

Sony are *****. Dunno what else I can say about it.

I don't know if that figure is right. Every estimate I've seen is around 10%. I've got the 60GB model so I'm obviously hoping that your estimate is wrong...

TBH i could well be wrong, but that is the figure i remember hearing somewhere in the past.

Overheating causes some solder in the console to melt which causes a crack and it breaks apart causing the yellow light, the hairdryer melt the solder again and it merges together again for a short period. It happens to most 60gb models that has a fair amount of use.

Cool good to hear.

Game play on Wii is okay if you have game pad attachment... I'm sure not as good as PS3 or 360, and graphics won't be close - but then I can't afford either at the moment!

Back