• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Gilbert & Rose West Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously?
I was aware of serial killers from before I was born but that was mainly from the Chamber of Horrors at Madam Tussaud’s. Haven’t been there since I was a kid but I suspect they’ve probably done away with that as it celebrates these individuals a bit too much. The modern way is not to give them publicity in case it encourages those seeking notoriety: that hasn’t happened here!

Anyone find it slightly ironic that the people moaning about it becoming public knowledge are the same people posting about it on social media? If no-one posted about it, no-one would know.

Slightly unfortunate circumstance, but does anyone under the age of 30 actually know who Rose West is without Google searching?

Just call it the Gilbert & Rose Stand.

What if the Grand in Leigh sponsored it…. Away Teams and directirs might head to the Grand stand and none off us would know it’s been sponsored.

I was aware of serial killers from before I was born but that was mainly from the Chamber of Horrors at Madam Tussaud’s. Haven’t been there since I was a kid but I suspect they’ve probably done away with that as it celebrates these individuals a bit too much. The modern way is not to give them publicity in case it encourages those seeking notoriety: that hasn’t happened here!
Mt Chamber of horrors scared the wotsits out of me as a kid, i still vividly remember it!😬

It reminds me of the old tale of Web addresses ...Mole Station (a town in Australia ) had a garden centre whose web address was Molestationnursery.com .
Well, funnily enough I had heard that the club was going to open a creche and call it that.

I think Rolf Harris was going to sponsor it.

Last edited:
And there is probably a junior member of staff who is under 30, maybe on here, who is probably wishing we would just stop going on about it..
...which makes me think the naming decision was by people too young to know the difference.
I can see how a slip of an everyday media release can be rectified quickly.
Online newspapers do it every day - but for something that was going to be around a while - it needed other sets of eyes on it.

PS. In media circles I've worked, there was always a double-check whether the Mike Hunt we were about to mention was a real name....

This has all been made many times worse by some of the national papers, including the Guardian, talking about our Rose West stand. It never was the Rose West stand!!

Yep and today this has led to not-so-keen footy fan friends of mine getting in on the action in 'whats going on at Southend?' 'just seen your club on the tele' (titter titter), I can imagine that the Boreham Wood fans are rubbing their hands ahead of Saturday, songs to the tune of Go West will already be in their locker. (sigh)
What both of them ?

Cliche or not it doesn’t make it less true.. regrettably…
OK, I'll bite.
Are we talking all 'press' - as in newspapers? Or TV and radio as well.
And if only newspapers, particular ones? And therefore what they write is untrue, ie, a variation on inaccurate?
Or are we talking angles on facts? Presenting news in a way that reflects a particular stance?
Because if it's the latter, it's been happening 90 years-plus.

I (early thirties) had never heard of Rose West before this saga.

I agree it's ironic everyone's complaining about seeing the name "Rose West", whilst being the very ones who are spreading it about far more than we (the club) would have. It clearly can't be that offensive.
Have you heard of Charles Manson, Peter Sutcliffe or even Hitler?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back