• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

ozzie

Manager
Had a few beers and went up to the loft and brought down my Blues Progs from the 76-77 season.
In the October prog v Newport.C is an article..its written..
Blues third in crowd pullers table
As us older ones remember,when we were in the 4th division(real name),we normally were one of ,if not the best team,pulling in fans.
what is strange then,or at least to me,was Stockport .c were 2nd place...went there in the 71-72 season ,thought it was a crap ground,then,with poor support.They ,then always seemed to struggle.
But top team was
Hudders,Stockport,then us..
But the reason for this "post" is below us then was
Watford
Bournemouth
swansea
Where did we go wrong!
It proves we had better fans then...and IMO..still have

Hurrah! .. Something positive! .. You're a life-saver 'Ozzie' :thumbsup:

I'm off to go through my Southend History book to remind myself of the matches from that season.

Hurrah! .. Something positive! .. You're a life-saver 'Ozzie' :thumbsup:

I'm off to go through my Southend History book to remind myself of the matches from that season.

When did Graham Taylor take over Watford

Col U away went somthing like this:

Morris runs at the defence, drops the shoulder and from the left hand side of the box slots home YYYEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS, 1 nil Blues!!!!

I'm back!

Blimey, we lost ONE match. Just ONE. Home or Away, between 28th August and 19th February! :cool:

Remember two contrasting games within a week. A 5-0 drubbing of Aldershot on New Year's Day, followed by a 0-4 reverse in the FA Cup at home to Chester a week later. Good crowd in for that one (10,347).

Previous round in the cup was a 3-0 win over Newport County. Stuart Parker scored one of his last goals for the club and Dave Smith used some of the money we got for him from Chesterfield (rumoured to be £20,000), to sign Colin Morris and Derrick Parker from Burnley for a combined fee of £10,000. Pure genius!!!!!!

Yep, good bit of business that.

Then we got Gerry Fell in from Brighton I think it was, the following season.

Some of the progs i found were 1.. went with Joe to Workington Town (away),2nd time i went there,also another was 9.11.76..Hornchurch V SUFC..(esc).
Also found an article,from the Football league review(one page) written...tribute to a brave man..
Its about our late great keeper Trevor Roberts...im not sure if he passed away that seaon or not,but ive kept his tribute
Those seasons were happy days,what games do you remember?

Ah, one of my favourite spells, some of the players we had back then.....Coulson, Brace, Nicholl, Morris, Parker (both of them), Goodwin, Yates, plus Moody and Pountney - very happy days, and happy memories.

Terry Nicholl.jpg

Great post. I assume that's "young blue lady" there?

... and Micky Laverick or am I mistaken?

And i have got that shirt,but from Parker,(after the 77-78 season at Newport) hanging on my wall

Terry Nicholl, of course, although CMW agrees with me. I could have sworn it was the Laverick.

We should start a poll to decide! :winking:

Terry Nicholl, of course, although CMW agrees with me. I could have sworn it was the Laverick.

We should start a poll to decide! :winking:

Haha, definitely Terry Nicholl, used to see him most Monday nights when I walked past his house (accidentally on purpose) walking from The Elms over to St Davids at Eastwood. He lived off Bellhouse Road. We stayed in touch for a while after he left and went to Gillingham.

Who is your latest?

Nice hair by the way.

Far too old for that kind of thing, I feel more motherly and protective towards them all now!!! You're too kind, my hair's never been "nice"!!!

Back