• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Grand National

Uncle Leo

This cook is an anti-semite
Who we got?

bet365 are offering 50% of your stake back on any bets placed between now and midday on Saturday. Not sure who I am betting yet - my fancy Bishops Road is first reserve so likely to miss out - but they'll most likely be my bookie of choice this year.

Who we got?

bet365 are offering 50% of your stake back on any bets placed between now and midday on Saturday. Not sure who I am betting yet - my fancy Bishops Road is first reserve so likely to miss out - but they'll most likely be my bookie of choice this year.

I gave up betting on the National years ago. However, if I were to bet I'd probably pick two or three horses that are around the 15-1 bracket and back them each way.

It may be my perception, but favourites don't seem to win the national very often, and at least one horse around 15-1 seems to do well each year.

Last edited:
I gave up betting on the National years ago. However, if I were to bet I'd probably pick to or three horse that are around the 15-1 bracket and back them each way.

It may be my perception, but favourites don't seem to win the national very often, and at least one horse around 15-1 seems to do well each year.

SPs of the last 15 winners (starting with the most recent)

25/1
25/1
66/1
33/1
14/1
10/1 (joint fav)
100/1
7/1 (joint fav)
33/1
11/1
7/1 (fav)
16/1
16/1
20/1
33/1

The race is a classier affair (in that better horses are running in it) than it was a decade or so ago, but the amount of randomness - 30 fences, 40 runners, four and a half miles to cover - means that no horse could ever be regarded as an absolute stick-on.

I’ve got £20ew on Holywell at 16/1 and £2.50ew on both Romford Pele 50/1 and bless the wings 66/1 all NRNB. Did it with 365 as they are just my default account and didn’t even know about that offer! I’ve been told since that bless the wings is 100/1 with skybet and that paddy power are paying the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] 7 on an ew bet!

SPs of the last 15 winners (starting with the most recent)

25/1
25/1
66/1
33/1
14/1
10/1 (joint fav)
100/1
7/1 (joint fav)
33/1
11/1
7/1 (fav)
16/1
16/1
20/1
33/1

The race is a classier affair (in that better horses are running in it) than it was a decade or so ago, but the amount of randomness - 30 fences, 40 runners, four and a half miles to cover - means that no horse could ever be regarded as an absolute stick-on.

So it looks like I'm kind of right, but that 15-1 is at the low end...

I'll look and see which colour silks I like in the guide on Saturday morning! :smile:

I've naturally been sucked in by bet365 and have 5:
- Saint Are
- The Druids Nephew
- Morning Assembly
- Triolo D'alene
- La Reve

No rhyme or reasoning behind any of them. I'd bite your hand off for 1 place.

In the work sweepstake I've got:

morning assembly
goonyella
vics canvas
vieux lion rouge

Think I've been done over.

Pricewise in the Racing Post goes for Gallant Oscar (he likes soft ground apparently and with overnight rain, the race will be run on soft). I'll back that and also Goonyella, who can stay all day.

Back