• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

For the record, anyone who sets foot in the new Grand is a ****.
Simple as that.

There is graffiti all over the window shuttering explaining exactly how some local residents feel.

**** off TOWIE ***** your (sic) not wanted.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is graffiti all over the window shuttering explaining exactly how some local residents feel.

**** off TOWIE ***** your (sic) not wanted.

Keep up Cyril, this was washed off months ago. Ivy removed yesterday. I'll keep exiles updated as I said I would. Locals can avert their gaze as it seems to upset them so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep up Cyril, this was washed off months ago. Ivy removed yesterday. I'll keep exiles updated as I said I would. Locals can avert their gaze as it seems to upset them so.

I am all for something being done with the building but surely we can do better than Sugar Hut Mk II.

I am all for something being done with the building but surely we can do better than Sugar Hut Mk II.

Time will tell. Having lived for for 35 years within 110yards of the Grand anyhing is better than seeing one of the town's most disinctive buildings crumble to dust and a block of the usual uninspired flats being built. I'm old enough to remember the Victoria Hotel, the Grand Pier and the Queen's and the beyond c rap buildings in their place when they were demolished. And the best thing is it's not costing the ratepayer diddly squat.

Time will tell. Having lived for for 35 years within 110yards of the Grand anyhing is better than seeing one of the town's most disinctive buildings crumble to dust and a block of the usual uninspired flats being built. I'm old enough to remember the Victoria Hotel, the Grand Pier and the Queen's and the beyond c rap buildings in their place when they were demolished. And the best thing is it's not costing the ratepayer diddly squat.

yes spot on..remember in the mid-late 60s (when we lived in elm rd) walking past the grand,and always parked outside was a rolls-royce..everytime ,i had to have a look inside..great british car..still my wish ,one day to drive one(not stolen)..remember carl.c. father had a roller as well

Your a fool if you believe the grand is going to be a "boutique hotel & spa" its going to be a nightclub & large capacity bar and will ruin every other bar restaurant in the area due to his high profile manner

He is only incorporating a minimal number or rooms and a small spa area to get the planning permission

Leigh is a lovely town we don't need these fools and the egotistical bell ends it will bring running the town

Your a fool if you believe the grand is going to be a "boutique hotel & spa" its going to be a nightclub & large capacity bar and will ruin every other bar restaurant in the area due to his high profile manner

He is only incorporating a minimal number or rooms and a small spa area to get the planning permission

Leigh is a lovely town we don't need these fools and the egotitical bell ends it will bring running the town

I am pretty sure that The Carlton with its niche clientele will be OK.

I make you right though. Leigh will be a magnet for every permatanned empty vessel in the area. Even more so than it is today.

The Carlton is no more! By name, anway.
The Carlton was the best pub in Leigh once , back in the early 70s its where the Old Leigh Comm used to drink and sort out the away games to follow Southend .

Leigh is a lovely town we don't need these fools and the egotistical bell ends it will bring running the town

Only one fool here and it's not me. Look at the plans. Why build a basement spa and a hotel extension if you're not going to use it. If there's money to be made in a Hotel and Spa then MN will make piles of it. Nightclub, pub, bar whatever. It'll be doing what it has done since it was built. The building will be working harder than it ever has in the past. Get over it.

BTW I seem to be the only one who's met MN and spoken to him. He's OK. He's a business man and good at what he does. I can't wait for the opening which is now scheduled for Nov 2015.

I can see it now, people who live and breathe the new version of the Broadway will become "Broadies", then we'll end up with an absolute prickfest of a programme called Broadie Shore.

If anyone is living in Leigh, sell up and move to Basildon, you may suffer slightly less property depreciation.

Likewise, I'd sooner "salt of the earth" people than orange *****.

Only one fool here and it's not me. Look at the plans. Why build a basement spa and a hotel extension if you're not going to use it. If there's money to be made in a Hotel and Spa then MN will make piles of it. Nightclub, pub, bar whatever. It'll be doing what it has done since it was built. The building will be working harder than it ever has in the past. Get over it.

BTW I seem to be the only one who's met MN and spoken to him. He's OK. He's a business man and good at what he does. I can't wait for the opening which is now scheduled for Nov 2015.

the figures speak for themselves my friend 800 plus capacity bar and your telling me he isn't planning a nightclub ?

the figures speak for themselves my friend 800 plus capacity bar and your telling me he isn't planning a nightclub ?

Just for clarity the licencing committee in March 2012 approved the licence to allow the bar to open from 8am to 12.30am Sunday to Thursday and 8am to 1.15am on Fridays and Saturdays. Other conditions attached to the licence include having no more than 599 patrons in the premises, excluding staff and hotel residents and no new admittance to the venue after 12.30am.

Just for clarity the licencing committee in March 2012 approved the licence to allow the bar to open from 8am to 12.30am Sunday to Thursday and 8am to 1.15am on Fridays and Saturdays. Other conditions attached to the licence include having no more than 599 patrons in the premises, excluding staff and hotel residents and no new admittance to the venue after 12.30am.
How many rooms does The Grand have, a dozen?

599 is quite some capacity for a hotel bar.

Back