• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

the plans are here, just click on associated documents and you can see the plans and officers reports. There is not just one bar in the new Grand or indeed the old Grand. It will have an extension with more hotel rooms, a new kitchen for the restaurant, a lift (it does not have one now) and a spa underground at the back underneath the hotel extension. Can't wait.

http://planning.southend.gov.uk/Pub...lication_detailview.aspx?caseno=MCUU1CPA5Q000

I see the Bell development seems about to start as there is shuttering round the site. I can never remember it being open. It's always been derelict as far as I'm aware. The plans for the Bell are here.

http://planning.southend.gov.uk/Pub...lication_detailview.aspx?caseno=L2Z4LBPA04Q00

I see the Bell development seems about to start as there is shuttering round the site. I can never remember it being open. It's always been derelict as far as I'm aware. The plans for the Bell are here.The upstairs was let out as bedsits in the early 70s .

http://planning.southend.gov.uk/Pub...lication_detailview.aspx?caseno=L2Z4LBPA04Q00

Sorry that was the first application. This is what was approved.

http://planning.southend.gov.uk/Pub...lication_detailview.aspx?caseno=LP8X6ZPA04V00[/QUOTE]

A Leigh update for exiles. The Midel/Dossett's building opposite the Grand has now been demolished and the new rather uninspired flats will follow shortly. Eden Point aka the St Clement's Church Hall site is nearly up but shrouded in scaffolding and tarpaulin. The penthouse apparently costs £2 million. They are demolishing a factory (used to be a bathroom warehouse) in Glendale Gardens for some houses they are obviously going for maximum profit as they are being advertised without a price. That only leaves the Overton Site (behind the Grand) and the School in Hadleigh Road site to be developed. And of course Fossett's Farm stadium. :blush::smile:
There is definitely a building flurry going on.

what ever capacity it is 600-800 is a hell of a lot for a bar at a "boutique hotel" its definitely going to be a place on a Friday Saturday night which will be crawling with drunks trolloping out into the street

what ever capacity it is 600-800 is a hell of a lot for a bar at a "boutique hotel" its definitely going to be a place on a Friday Saturday night which will be crawling with drunks trolloping out into the street

Just like it always was. Can't see the problem. If you live near a pub, expect alcohol to be served. If you don't like living near a pub, don't is my motto.

PS just had my morning constitutional round Leigh and Bombay Spice is now "The Bombay - definitively Indian". It's been completely gutted with new everything. The furniture arrived yesterday. Very nice. Very smart and obviously feels it needs to compete with the Shima. The diehards will be aghast.

Clavin, I don't want to labour the point but the capacity is 599 (not 600-800) and there has never been nor will there be one bar. There are 2 bars and 2 function rooms.

I stayed in a boutique hotel in Brighton recently and the bar held about twenty people.

Work continies apace. Basically they are stripping out the old building at the moment prior to the major building starting.
Mick Norcross uses Twitter a lot (he has 530,000 followers) He's set up a Grand Hotel page and he's posting the progress there which is a lot more than I can do. He's already got nearly 3,500 followers on that and people asking when it's going to open and can they have their wedding there. It's terxt book about how to use social media to publicise. He seems very keen to keep as many original features as possible. As the Twitter page is so good I'm given the link and those interested can follow progress there if they want. It really is going to be superb.

https://twitter.com/GrandHotelLeigh

Before that, when 'Last's' & 'Simpson & Barnes', both 'gentlemens' shops in Broadway West closed, and 'Shinn's' the Butcher's in Rectory Grove went.

Mr Shinn used to live next door to my life long best friend. His old place has now been upgraded from a farm into a very twee residence for people with ponies.

Looking through the pictures (brings back some memories!) you have to say good luck to the guy - it has to be better than watching it rot away. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be....the perma-tans will be all over this but if that's market forces then so be it.

Looking through the pictures (brings back some memories!) you have to say good luck to the guy - it has to be better than watching it rot away. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be....the perma-tans will be all over this but if that's market forces then so be it.

My thoughts exactly Smudger. The days of Last's, Prickett's, that run down cafe run by a couple of old cat women and going to the Grand for a pint of Directors have long gone. If he saves this fantastic building then he deserves a knighthood. Happy to have a cappuccino and Danish with you out on the new terrace any time and dream of what used to be.

Back