• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Blimey, what a week!

We've got people who used to hate Ron now not hating him as much and maybe even liking him as well as people who gave him the benefit of the doubt before who think he is now the spawn of the Devil.

We've got what maybe was a well intended gesture and an injection of a little sentiment into a passionate but generally unsentimental and ruthless industry being lauded and ridiculed in equal measure plus if you listen to any of the national media we are a complete laughing stock. Rumour has it that Billy Smart is coming in over the summer to teach us how to run a circus properly.

No-one seems to know (but plenty assume) that RM is the good/bad guy here (delete as applicable) without factoring in that maybe Sturrock wanted this... did Brown misread the written offer that Ron would have almost certainly given to him (as many posters misread the club statement) by not realising that PS was managing the club for the days leading up to Wembley?

By the way, what are the odds on Brown leaving before April 7th?

Then there's that something Very Bad that is happening in the summer... didn't we get warned of this last summer? And the summer before? Something Very Bad happens every summer. The football stops (World cups and Euros aside).

Some hate Brown, some tolerate him, some think he's great. No-one actually knows him.

Oh, and there's a game (weather permitting) on Friday, in case anyone hadn't noticed.

I also detect an air of indifference about Smiffys posts... welcome to my world mate. Long have I been indifferent about the goings on, Que Sera Sera and all that, we can't influence it so I just want to go along and enjoy the football, as long as we don't get another week last the last one which was absolutely dreadful.

Watching the zone over the last few days has been entertaining but depressing. Southend United? Kidding, surely. Southend Divided more like.

There also seems to be some division as to which division we will find ourselves in after the Very Bad happens

And a lack of consensus amongst the fans as to whether it is Orange Phil's Barmy Army or Chocolate Brownie's Barmy Army.

We could get to Wembley and have half the fans chanting for Sturrock and the other half not knowing what to sing.....

Yep, it's been a hell of a week to be a Southend fan.
For good or ill, Sturrock is out and Brown is in.
For good or ill, Sturrock will be managing at Wembley.
Regardless of what our views of these events are, there is nothing we can do, these are problems of Ron Martin's creation not ours. So let's not let this tarnish the day this club & it's fans have been waiting for, for 107 years. Having gone through all the emotions possible in the last week regarding our club I for one am now determind to not let it ruin our day in the sun.
Ron may have made us a laughing stock but it's down to us to put the pride back into being a Shrimper. So let's show the world we are UNITED.

My first post since rejoining, I used to post on here a while ago until I got fed up with everyone moaning about Paul Sturrock and now he's gone and he's Mr Popular!
I was also on 606 in its closing days which co-incided with the opening months of Paul Sturrock's reign and the Southend forum on there had almost daily calls for him to be sacked.
If you wrote a novel based on a football club with a chairman like ours and fans like ours, would it be dismissed as being too far-fetched?

Someone posted that the internet is a bad thing as subjects get over analysed and picked to death and I cant help but agree in part. Its a shame we cant all just get behind the team (the players ) and support them, I cant really give a toss what Ron does I don't support him, if he cocks it up I feel pretty sure Southend United will still be here. it was before Ron and it will be after he is gone.
This is the joy of football it gives us something to talk about down the pub, something to cry about, something to laugh about and something to feel part of. Roll on Wembley when I will be supporting my team, not the manager, not the chairman but the players and my Town and the other fans that put up with roller-coaster ride that is Southend United.

Strong feelings being aroused over this, understandably but it is done peeps, wrongly or rightly its sorted, I think we all need to chill out a bit and try and get on with our jobs.......supporting the blues. Lets be honest we have got about 20 thousand people coming to a big game next week that lets be honest dont really give a **** about all this, so what are they all gonna think if they do a little digging and see us....the lifeblood of this football club at each others throats. Lets try and concentrate on an important game against bradford and get behind Brown and the boys, I have seen some aggro on here in the past but we are reaching new levels of pre judgment and sabre rattling......give peace a chance......come on you blues

Someone posted that the internet is a bad thing as subjects get over analysed and picked to death and I cant help but agree in part. .

if the internet existed in Dave's Smith's time he would have been sacked following relegation and we would have never won the Fourth Division the following season.

As you will see I have not posted on here for a very long time.... but this post sums up completely how I feel at present.
Great post mate.

Back