• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Guardian never fails to amuse.....

How can there be 'impartiality' in any presentation of the news? It is all a construction. Someone selects what perspectives they wish to focus on in preference to others. Impartiality cannot exist, except in my analysis of the great singer-songwriters of our time.

BBC Journalists:
"Locally recruited reporters will be vulnerable to bullying Middle East governments, say senior journalists"
Translation:
"You can't trust dark-skinned Johnny Foreigner to do a better job than us Oxbridge, public school types"

You can't beat a lefty liberal for racism and class snobbery.

BBC Journalists:
"Locally recruited reporters will be vulnerable to bullying Middle East governments, say senior journalists"
Translation:
"You can't trust dark-skinned Johnny Foreigner to do a better job than us Oxbridge, public school types"

You can't beat a lefty liberal for racism and class snobbery.

That's your interpretation. The BBC is respected around the world - can't say the same for say, Fox News now eh?

That's your interpretation. The BBC is respected around the world - can't say the same for say, Fox News now eh?

And that's your interpretation. Fox News has far higher ratings than CNN/MSNBC combined in the US, so it may not be 'respected' (which can be translated in this case as it's not well liked by sneering left-wing douchebags), but it is popular. It's only my passion for 'Pointless' that has prevented me from boycotting the BBC since the absurd 'Spooks' Jew-hating fiasco.

And that's your interpretation. Fox News has far higher ratings than CNN/MSNBC combined in the US, so it may not be 'respected' (which can be translated in this case as it's not well liked by sneering left-wing douchebags), but it is popular. It's only my passion for 'Pointless' that has prevented me from boycotting the BBC since the absurd 'Spooks' Jew-hating fiasco.

Can't get on with Pointless, especially when its on the same time as The Chase :thumbsup:

I've never seen Fox News so can't comment on it.
Although I go in for a bit of lefty-baiting on here I don't fit conveniently into a 'right-wing' box either. Dare I say it, I may well have a certain amount of common ground with some of your views:blush:
I listen to BBC Radio a lot and generally like it though I think at times some of its news coverage isn't as impartial as it should be and the BBC has occasionally conceded that itself
I don't think I am being unfair to say that it tends to recruit from the wealthier, public-school educated part of society and some of its reporters seem to look down on those sections of the population that don't always share the views of the wealthy, well-educated liberal establishment

You've confused popularity with integrity , professionalism and intelligence .

I think £145 a year is a small price to pay for hours and hours of top programs.

I do think they need to get some better writers in on Crimewatch though.

I like my crime dramas to feature fiendishly intellectual serial killers who carry out highly ritualised killings rather than blokes in tracksuits that kick someone to death over a fifty quid drug debt.

I would also like to see Dr. Who moved to CBBC with the other kids shows and Total Wipeout extended to two hours.

Back