• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Disgrace, how he could then go and celebrate like a mad man is embarrassing, I though Gallas was offside aswell.

It's kind of sad that football has got to this state really...

Rugby's rules are clearer and the refs respected whereas football is in a state, with ever changing rules about interfering with play, coming back from an offside position, the niggles of tackling and from which direction... when a room full of pundits can't agree in slow-motion then what chance do 2 guys who get abused all match long have from 30 yards away?

I just don't see why they can't introduce video replays for goals (like rugby do for tries) as they're the crux of the game. But then do you disallow it for a foul in the build up that was missed or a debatable offside?

It's really hard where to draw the line...

Arguing with a ref should be a straight yellow every time, then that'd get eradicated within months. And diving, if missed, could be prosecuted after the game with a 2 match suspension. But until UEFA or FIFA have the balls to change the grey areas of the games they've built into the rulebook, then none of this will change.

A player was offside from the original free-kick.

But was he active? This is another nonsense. At Chelsea the other week, Drogba was in the 6 yard box in an offside position, swung at the all and missed and it went in. Presumably he was deemed to be inactive.
How the hell someone in the six yard box is not interfering with play is totally beyond me. If he had touched it, it would have been offside.

The laws definitely need clarifying on a lot of these issues.

Had it been Scotland I would have laughed my head off but Ireland deserved better. Maybe the play off should have just been two games of 90 mins and then straight into a penalty shoot out if honours even.

My thoughts exactly when watching it, in fact during the match I started off wanting the Irish to win (due to our inherent love of the underdog) to thinking about if it was the English against the French, who would the Irish, Scottish, and Welsh back. so decided I was not bothered who won.

I always wanted the French to win. I just don't like Ireland.

But was he active? This is another nonsense. At Chelsea the other week, Drogba was in the 6 yard box in an offside position, swung at the all and missed and it went in. Presumably he was deemed to be inactive.
How the hell someone in the six yard box is not interfering with play is totally beyond me. If he had touched it, it would have been offside.

The laws definitely need clarifying on a lot of these issues.

Aye its a crazy rule!!

I actually don't give a toss about it to be honest and am only concerned when it's England who are effected.

How many times have we seen the scots, welsh and paddies jumping up and down when England are playing chearing on the other side like it was a matter of life and death. As always these three countries can have their fun during a football world cup by supporting any team against us like they always do so I can't see their problem.

Taken from the Fifa Fair Play Code.

"Play fair. Winning is without value if victory has been achieved unfairly or dishonestly. Cheating is easy, but brings no pleasure. Playing fair requires courage and character. It is also more satisfying. Fair play always has its reward, even when the game is lost. Playing fair earns respect, while cheating only brings shame. Remember: it is only a game. And games are pointless unless played fairly."

So Lee you are telling me, if you were in the same situation you would not do the same? I know Kev has no trouble with controlling the ball with his hand during matches. And I expect if SZFC had such a high profile game you would do likewise.

I guess it depends on the type of player you are, as trying to stop it with my hand wouldn't have occurred to me.

Taken from the Fifa Fair Play Code.

"Play fair. Winning is without value if victory has been achieved unfairly or dishonestly. Cheating is easy, but brings no pleasure. Playing fair requires courage and character. It is also more satisfying. Fair play always has its reward, even when the game is lost. Playing fair earns respect, while cheating only brings shame. Remember: it is only a game. And games are pointless unless played fairly."

That may have been true in the 1920's but sadly win at all costs is the mantra of today.

Or indeed those AARs (Auxiliary Assistant Referees) that have been used in the Europa League this season.

I wonder if the Irish will find Maradona's "Hand of God" goal from 1986 quite as funny now.

Just ask Fulham fans how helpful they are!

They sent off the wrong player at Craven Cottage against Roma, and David Moyes hasn't been overly impressed with them.

Haven't read through the whole thread, but have been reading BBC, listening to Sky Sports etc and people calling for this game to be replayed are mental. Never, ever going to happen. If thats the case, I want England vs Argentina replayed, I want Swindon vs Southend replayed etc etc.

Just because a massive decision goes against you, doesn't mean the game should be replayed.

Who do you blame more for the incident, Thierry Herny or the officials?

Just ask Fulham fans how helpful they are!

They sent off the wrong player at Craven Cottage against Roma, and David Moyes hasn't been overly impressed with them.

Haven't read through the whole thread, but have been reading BBC, listening to Sky Sports etc and people calling for this game to be replayed are mental. Never, ever going to happen. If thats the case, I want England vs Argentina replayed, I want Swindon vs Southend replayed etc etc.

Just because a massive decision goes against you, doesn't mean the game should be replayed.

Who do you blame more for the incident, Thierry Herny or the officials?

Some people are saying that Henry should be banned from football, its crazy! The officials got it wrong badly, at the end of the day Henry has gone out to intentionally injure anyone.

Some people are saying that Henry should be banned from football, its crazy! The officials got it wrong badly, at the end of the day Henry has gone out to intentionally injure anyone.

It's nonsense to ban Henry for cheating, if that were the case ALL footballers should be banned as IMO ALL footballers cheat, whether if it's a major thing as Henry has done, or appealling for a throw when a player knows he was the last to touch the ball. However you dress it up it's cheating.

Let's be honest, if they replay this one it opens up a whole can of worms for all those games when controversial incidents were missed by the referee affecting the outcome, result and destiny of teams or matches.

It is insane not to use the technology available as simply players are getting so much better at cheating now.

I feel realy sorry for Ireland who played so well but as somebody said, you replay this one then you have to ask why Maradona's "Hand of God" game was not replayed? Manchester United v Spurs, when the ref missed Mendes over the line goal (shown at least 3 feet over the line by TV cameras) which cost Spurs a famous win and could well have affected the Premiership result that season.

Cricket and rugby league have hapilly embraced technology able to help umpires, referees etc. so why not football?

One thing I would say is that the Swedish "team" who took charge of the France v Ireland game last night should on no account ever be allowed near a big international match like that again and Henry - well you cannot ban him but really you cannot be surprised at any ex Arsenal player being involved in something like this as the whole ethos of that ****** clubs has evoled around "gamesmanship" and cheating and that really is a fact.

Let's be honest, if they replay this one it opens up a whole can of worms for all those games when controversial incidents were missed by the referee affecting the outcome, result and destiny of teams or matches.

It is insane not to use the technology available as simply players are getting so much better at cheating now.

I feel realy sorry for Ireland who played so well but as somebody said, you replay this one then you have to ask why Maradona's "Hand of God" game was not replayed? Manchester United v Spurs, when the ref missed Mendes over the line goal (shown at least 3 feet over the line by TV cameras) which cost Spurs a famous win and could well have affected the Premiership result that season.

Cricket and rugby league have hapilly embraced technology able to help umpires, referees etc. so why not football?

One thing I would say is that the Swedish "team" who took charge of the France v Ireland game last night should on no account ever be allowed near a big international match like that again and Henry - well you cannot ban him but really you cannot be surprised at any ex Arsenal player being involved in something like this as the whole ethos of that ****** clubs has evoled around "gamesmanship" and cheating and that really is a fact.

Oh look who is back from a ban!!! afternoon chap!

Platini must be rubbing his hands gleefully today. All along he has been against goal line technology / TV camera evidence, and boy has it worked out for him and his country on this occasion.

I hope we get France in the Euro 2012 qualifiers. I really do. :)

Platini must be rubbing his hands gleefully today. All along he has been against goal line technology / TV camera evidence, and boy has it worked out for him and his country on this occasion.

I hope we get France in the Euro 2012 qualifiers. I really do. :)

Be quiet France are more important to the World Cup stature then your petty little country! ;)

I see that Ireland have now asked FIFA for a replay...

B'Jayzusss

Seriously, do people actually understand what football is all about?
Why don't we go back and replay that game against the Argies!?

One thing I would say is that the Swedish "team" who took charge of the France v Ireland game last night should on no account ever be allowed near a big international match like that again

Very harsh though. Up till that point they did an excellent job. Just suppose the ref and linesman didnt see him handball it. Are they supposed to give a decision based on what they thought they saw?

Back