• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Arsenal & Sheffield United replayed an FA cup match after the "Kanu" incident in 1999.

Yes but do you really think Mr Wenger would replay the game if it was a Champions League game or FA Cup final?.

Pure publicity stunt that was and a few more quid in Arsenals pockets from ticket money.

I think we all know that a replay isn't going to happen and FIFA/UEFA would prefer France to be there over the Irish.

It's kind of sad that football has got to this state really...

Rugby's rules are clearer and the refs respected whereas football is in a state, with ever changing rules about interfering with play, coming back from an offside position, the niggles of tackling and from which direction... when a room full of pundits can't agree in slow-motion then what chance do 2 guys who get abused all match long have from 30 yards away?

I just don't see why they can't introduce video replays for goals (like rugby do for tries) as they're the crux of the game. But then do you disallow it for a foul in the build up that was missed or a debatable offside?

It's really hard where to draw the line...

Arguing with a ref should be a straight yellow every time, then that'd get eradicated within months. And diving, if missed, could be prosecuted after the game with a 2 match suspension. But until UEFA or FIFA have the balls to change the grey areas of the games they've built into the rulebook, then none of this will change.

That'll be rugby, a game in which the likes of Richie McCaw, George Smith etc play continually "on the line" of legality and regularly transgress over. Oh and English players cheat just as much, although probably not as well in recent years, but Neil Back was up to much the same tricks and "sportsmanship" - he once won a cup final by punching the ball out of the scrum half's hands at a scrum when the ref's back was turned.

Cheating is endemic in every sport and always has been. It might not be cricket, but neither was WG Grace replacing a bail and saying "they've come to see me bat, not you bowl".

Had it been Scotland I would have laughed my head off but Ireland deserved better. Maybe the play off should have just been two games of 90 mins and then straight into a penalty shoot out if honours even.

Ireland losing is just as amusing, although it was a shame France had to go through.

I always wanted the French to win. I just don't like Ireland.

Not sure about wanting the French to win, but Ireland isn't part of Britain and you've got to respect that by cheering on their opponents.

Ouch... Just realised that my first draft managed to weasel it's way onto here instead of the finished piece, which would explain all of the inaccuracies. It's been amended now.

Special mention goes to when I stated that Ireland hadn't reach a World Cup in twenty years something I was (wrongly) reliably informed by my flatmate at the time of writing... Something he confused with Ireland's northern partners. I don't know what Catholic version of a Jihad is, but I probably will now.

As far as the replay goes, you've got about as much chance as France stepping aside for the Irish as you have for a replay. Simply not going to happen I'm afraid. The most interesting comment I've heard was from Liam Brady (I think, not entirely sure) commenting that Michel Platini has been travelling the global football community championing fair play and integrity within football... Let's get a comment from him on this debacle.

Last edited:
I don't know what Catholic version of a Jihad is, but I probably will now..

I think closest is a Papal Bull, but you have to be Catholic to get that and it's usually just a threat of excommunication ;)

In realistic terms, it's probably just being left out of the round or locked out of the pub...

I think we all know that a replay isn't going to happen and FIFA/UEFA would prefer France to be there over the Irish.

I have heard today that Ireland were not only complaining about the hand ball decision but also the fact that they were obliged to play France or one of the FIFA favoured clubs, in the first place. The initial draw was seeded (rigged) in an effort to give every chance for the bigger teams to get to South Africa.
I have to admit that I found this match difficult as, on the one hand I live in France, whilst on the other, I have a soft spot for the Irish and am also hopelessly drawn to supporting the underdog. The Irish did have chances in the first match and didn't take them. The French came out with an excellent second-half performance and got the important victory and away goal.
I was talking on the phone to a friend and both of us thought that France's progression was probably a formality, although I did say that their only chance would be to score an early goal. It has to be said that here, there are some people that detest Domenech SO much that they would almost accept a French defeat, just to get rid of him........well, they nearly succeeded!
As good as France were in the second period in Dublin, last night they were AWFUL. Sadly, I have to say that there was no surprise when the largely ineffectual Gignac (tfc) was subbed ........I was surprised, with one or two other French fans, why Benzema wasn't brought on to replace him.
Ireland deserved their lead and really should have had the game wrapped up well before the handling incident.......if you don't take your chances....
FWIW, I didn't think the Anelka incident was a penalty, though,
I wouldn't say it too loudly here. Many of the French seek some kind of justification in claiming that the hand ball balanced out the unjustly unawarded penalty. Yes it was a double whammy.....even a triple one....
as Henry touched the ball twice........and YES, Gallas WAS offside.
In the end, nothing is going to change the fact that it is France that will be going to the Finals. Perhaps the most important thing that will emerge in history, when the details of the 2010 World Cup fade into the memory, is that last night Thierry Henry wrote his footballing epitaph. Forget his glorious moments at Arsenal and Barca, Henry will now always be remembered as the player who cheated in order to get his team through to the Finals. I just wonder whether he will live with that guilt quite as easily as Maradonna appeared to do?

I have heard today that Ireland were not only complaining about the hand ball decision but also the fact that they were obliged to play France or one of the FIFA favoured clubs, in the first place. The initial draw was seeded (rigged) in an effort to give every chance for the bigger teams to get to South Africa.

Yeah heaven forbid France and Portugal should draw each other, ****ing joke.

I see that Ireland have now asked FIFA for a replay...
They have asked for honesty and integrity. A caller on Talksport tonight mention that Aiden McGeady has been booked for diving 3 times already this season, but they still pick him. Surely a lack of integrity there then.

So Lee you are telling me, if you were in the same situation you would not do the same? I know Kev has no trouble with controlling the ball with his hand during matches. And I expect if SZFC had such a high profile game you would do likewise.

My thoughts exactly when watching it, in fact during the match I started off wanting the Irish to win (due to our inherent love of the underdog) to thinking about if it was the English against the French, who would the Irish, Scottish, and Welsh back. so decided I was not bothered who won.

After all if Robbie Keane had managed to find the back of the net the times he was through on goal this whole issue would be a mute point.

I have to answer this......I would never cheat like that never in a million years, will bore you you with a quick story, I was fortunate enough to play sunday league football with my dad for eight years and during our rampage through the divisions we had a title deciding game.....my dad went up for a corner and bundled the ball in at the back stick, cue wild celebrations...the ref gave the goal all was good.......my dad walked in to the goal and picked the ball up went up to the ref and explained he had pushed the ball in with his hand and should disallow the goal......thats an example of honesty and honour and the example I would follow

Roy Keanes view:

"I'd be more annoyed with my defenders and my goalkeeper than Thierry Henry. How can you let the ball bounce in your six-yard box? How can you let Thierry Henry get goal-side of you? If the ball goes into the six-yard box, where the hell is my goalkeeper?
"These are skills and lessons you learn as a schoolboy.
"Ireland had their chances in the two games and they never took them. They had chances at Croke Park (in the first leg) and they had chances on Wednesday.

"They didn't take them, but it's the usual FAI (Football Association of Ireland) reaction - 'we've been robbed, the honesty of the game...' It's rubbish."
And Keane pointed out that controversial decisions went Ireland's way in the qualifying campaign, not least a harsh penalty award against Georgia which helped them to clinch a 2-1 qualifying win in February.
"There was one match against Georgia where Ireland got a penalty and it was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen which changed the whole course of the game.
"I don't remember the FAI after the game saying we should give them a replay."

Cant really argue with that.

There was a strapline on SSN earlier and some old Mick has come out and said its the biggest sporting injustice he's ever seen

Now i know they are a little bit backwards over there (sorry Ant :p) but Jesus has this bloke been living in a cave or under a rock until this week ??

As alluded to earlier i too wonder if they still find Maradonnas goal quite so amusing

There was a strapline on SSN earlier and some old Mick has come out and said its the biggest sporting injustice he's ever seen

Now i know they are a little bit backwards over there (sorry Ant :p) but Jesus has this bloke been living in a cave or under a rock until this week ??

As alluded to earlier i too wonder if they still find Maradonnas goal quite so amusing

Bloody hell, get a grip!!

Back