• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The 'how are they still in business' thread.

About 4 or 5 years ago I was walking past that shop with my son and it was surprising to see it was open. Curiosity got the better of us and we had a look inside. Very odd shop and the owner asked if we wanted to take a look at some of his rarer stuff, which was behind a curtained door (this is 100% true!).

Some quite rare and questionable animals in his collection, which didn’t feel right, and at which point I nudged my son as time to leave… quickly! LOL!
Where there any humans behind the curtain?

I’m surprised HMV is still chugging along given how the market for DVD/Blu-ray and CDs has tanked.
Vinyl is making a return, think that's helping big time. Been sorting through records passed down to me by family and those I won't be keeping might earn me a small fortune at this rate.

Vinyl is making a return, think that's helping big time. Been sorting through records passed down to me by family and those I won't be keeping might earn me a small fortune at this rate.
I think it is. A lot of the early 20's are even buying them for novelty value. I think the albums are about £35 aswell now, so a good margin for the stores.

Africa crafts shop - Queens Road - I have never seen anyone enter or leave this place in over 30 years. Maybe they cashed in on leather Africa pendants in the late 80s/early 90s?

The recruiters near HSBC at the top of the high street - no matter what time of day I pass the staff are outside smoking.
Probably a money laundering operation ?

I think it is. A lot of the early 20's are even buying them for novelty value. I think the albums are about £35 aswell now, so a good margin for the stores.
Absolutely people are returning to them. I'm 20 and most of my friends are 21, we're all buying up and inheriting vinyl stock.

Not a bad investment actually, as they will always hold value to someone somewhere.

It's a good opportunity at the moment to start trading in the vinyl business.

Think I'll be out buying some job lots at boot sales this summer, some people don't know what some of these records are worth!

Absolutely people are returning to them. I'm 20 and most of my friends are 21, we're all buying up and inheriting vinyl stock.

Not a bad investment actually, as they will always hold value to someone somewhere.

Think I'll be out buying some job lots at boot sales this summer, some people don't know what some of these records are worth!
Good thinking :Smile:

WH Smith is another shop I can’t see surviving long.

They earn a fortune (or used to) at their airport, motorway and station shops. I think they also have something to do with the newspaper distribution business - although I guess that is also a declining area.

As I was typing that I was thinking **** actually they must be struggling, so looked up some numbers - sales declined about 30% in 2020 and another 10% in 2021 - but are back growing again for the last 12 month numbers. They made a big loss (£239m) in 2020, reduced that to £80m loss in 2021. They made about £100m per year profit pre covid. I reckon they'll break even or small profit in 2022.

I did have a 6 pack of Sex Pistols singles....Complete with picture covers.

I leant them to a friend who was sadly murdered a few weeks later. Obviously I had no intention of asking his family for the return until a suitable time later on. At his funeral his mum said we will bury him with his records due to his love of music.......I did actually consider crow baring up the lid of the coffin but thought his family wont understand "Thats what he would have wanted."

I did have a 6 pack of Sex Pistols singles....Complete with picture covers.

I leant them to a friend who was sadly murdered a few weeks later. Obviously I had no intention of asking his family for the return until a suitable time later on. At his funeral his mum said we will bury him with his records due to his love of music.......I did actually consider crow baring up the lid of the coffin but thought his family wont understand "Thats what he would have wanted."
You’re probably right. Families can be very touchy. I remember as a young man going to the funeral of an older work colleague. It was the first funeral I’d ever attended and I was very nervous. Friends gave me some advice. Stay towards the back of the crematorium and just follow what everyone else does. Afterwards at the wake choose your moment, go over to the widow, offer your condolences and then move on.

Nothing to it. Much calmer after the service and a couple of beers I saw my opportunity, the widow was alone. I went up to her, took her hand and said, “I’m sorry for your loss. He was a lovely man.” Paused for a second then added, “Move on.”

Well she let out a piercing scream and I was dragged away and kicked out lucky to escape a beating.

Some people are just so sensitive.

I've found that the vinyl resurgence has made everyone think that everything on vinyl is now worth something. I've seen second hand shops, charity shops and boot sale sellers asking £10+ for records that were 10 a penny a decade ago. The real trick now is to get a good knowledge of the more obscure records that are worth money - things that might get overlooked - cos anyone with Beatles/Stones/Floyd/Led Zep etc. will want top dollar for them.

They earn a fortune (or used to) at their airport, motorway and station shops.
I needed to get a train from Waterloo late at night and was thirsty, the only thing open at the station was WHS Smith's, it £3 for 2 bottles of coke (£2.19 for 1 bottle). Absolute ripoff but I'd have missed the last train looking for somewhere else so I bought it just because I didn't have time to look elsewhere, I'm sure I'm not the only one that's been caught by that.

I needed to get a train from Waterloo late at night and was thirsty, the only thing open at the station was WHS Smith's, it £3 for 2 bottles of coke (£2.19 for 1 bottle). Absolute ripoff but I'd have missed the last train looking for somewhere else so I bought it just because I didn't have time to look elsewhere, I'm sure I'm not the only one that's been caught by that.
That's reminded me of a story a friend told me about someone he knew who was killing time in a London terminals WH Smith's while waiting for a train. He received a text from his mum asking him where he was, but he mis-read the message as being from his best mate. His reply said; "Going on holiday you ****. In Smiths looking at the **** mags and thinking of you".

I also find the enduring popularity of sex shops more than a little puzzling, and it's downright bizarre how so many have taken up residence in disused Little Chef restaurants on busy A roads.
Any particular Little chef? Asking for a friend. :Whistling:

On the A12 just after the Witham bypass, only know as I have passed it on the way home several times.:Whistling:

All the Turkish Barbers in Hadleigh. They get the odd customer here and there but so often they are empty.

I think I know what’s going on, but I wouldn’t want to end my days with a slip of a cutthroat razor so best to leave it there.
That's a bit harsh. I've had my hair done in one of them and I wouldn't classify myself as "odd".

Back