• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The 'how are they still in business' thread.

I commented earlier in the thread about hmv, I took a look around while I was back. I noted quite a large part of store is for vinyl now.

I'd be interested to know what portion if their intake is still coming from CDs, DVD/Bluray and whatever the new 4K one is called. I noted no games at all (apart from of the board or card variety).

Looks like Runners Edge in Southend may be no more...
I last visited the shop in Southend back in April. Mike told me they were closing it & moving to one opp Chalkwell park. Must admit since then i haven't noticed it when passing if it's there?.
( Back in mid 80's, Mike sometimes ran with us along the seafront on a Sun mornings run from Shoebury to Leigh/Hadleigh & back. Great guy & runner! ).

I last visited the shop in Southend back in April. Mike told me they were closing it & moving to one opp Chalkwell park. Must admit since then i haven't noticed it when passing if it's there?.
( Back in mid 80's, Mike sometimes ran with us along the seafront on a Sun mornings run from Shoebury to Leigh/Hadleigh & back. Great guy & runner! ).
Mike told me was retiring, thought Paul would keep shop going.

I think they have moved ack to Chalkwell part of London Road, near where they first opened.

The shop next to the Chinese Takeaway and small car showroom near Corals in Sutton Road. Looks tatty from the outside, and never ever seen a customer go in or out, even though they leave the door open. How they pay rent, rates, and then make a living, I don't know.

The shop next to the Chinese Takeaway and small car showroom near Corals in Sutton Road. Looks tatty from the outside, and never ever seen a customer go in or out, even though they leave the door open. How they pay rent, rates, and then make a living, I don't know.
There's a couple of Chinese Takeaways along Glendale Gardens in Leigh, like you i've never seen any customers in them!.
They are open 6 days weekly, & i'd have thought any small shop would need to take at least £150-£200 per day to cover all costs, wage etc. If the average customer spent around £10 in there, they would need 15 plus people per day for that.

This shop T is next to the Chinese. It was selling tat(cheapest toys possible, etc). Now it seems to be selling drinks and snacks. But yes, some of these shops and takeaways, you wonder how they survive on so few customers.

There's a couple of Chinese Takeaways along Glendale Gardens in Leigh, like you i've never seen any customers in them!.
They are open 6 days weekly, & i'd have thought any small shop would need to take at least £150-£200 per day to cover all costs, wage etc. If the average customer spent around £10 in there, they would need 15 plus people per day for that.
They would need to take more than that.

There are two new convenience type small shops Vic Ave near Priory Park, Fairfax Drive junction, never seen anyone in them . Seem to mostly advertise sales of capes and alcohol.
Last week the Echo quoted nearly 1,000 business's had closed in the Southend area during the last year!.
With the cost of refurbishing a shop etc, i'm astonished why anyone would want to open a new one in these turbulent times?.
I can't for the life of me, see how any of these can take anything like the minimum revenue per week needed to survive?.
Unless they are part of a consortium, who post a loss to save on tax for the profitable ones?.

There are two new convenience type small shops Vic Ave near Priory Park, Fairfax Drive junction, never seen anyone in them . Seem to mostly advertise sales of capes and alcohol.
I see so many of these shops around with nobody ever going in them. Clearly a front for other 'business'.

I remember working in South London years ago, and there was a shop selling kids teddy bears. Hardly had any customers. It was called "Bearly Trading" !!!

Wenzel's in Southend has closed.

If you sell food that is almost identical to Greggs but costs 50% more then you are going to struggle if there are three Greggs on the same High Street.
I agree on the cost front, but the Wenzels at the Bell is always absolutely heaving with Customers. If it's not White van man early morning, then its all the Cherubs from Southend High School for boys offloading their folding stuff. It seems location is everything.

Back