• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Independent Group

And now three Tories have joined them - Dr Sarah Wollaston, Heidi Allen and Anna Soubry.

Pretty sure this has been stage managed to be just before PMQT, so there could well be further defections on Thursday and Friday - and it will be worth keeping an eye on the Lib Dems. Joining with the Lib Dems will be significant because they have the best by-election party machinery and will allow this new grouping to tap into existing party infrastructure.

And now three Tories have joined them - Dr Sarah Wollaston, Heidi Allen and Anna Soubry.

Pretty sure this has been stage managed to be just before PMQT, so there could well be further defections on Thursday and Friday - and it will be worth keeping an eye on the Lib Dems. Joining with the Lib Dems will be significant because they have the best by-election party machinery and will allow this new grouping to tap into existing party infrastructure.

Jo Swinson, the Lib Dem MP, has taken to Twitter to praise both the Labour and Tory ex-MPs in the Independent Group. It may just be trolling the Tories and Labour, but read into it what you will....

2126.jpg

A picture of the three Tory Rebels sitting behind JC at PMQ.

2126.jpg

A picture of the three Tory Rebels sitting behind JC at PMQ.

Ooh, opposition MPs on opposition benches shocker! :Smile:

For completeness we should be clear that these and their grouping colleagues are no longer rebels, they are independent MPs who used to affiliate to a different grouping (party). Despite what much of the electorate understandably might believe, this is right and proper in the British parliamentary system.

Ooh, opposition MPs on opposition benches shocker! :Smile:

For completeness we should be clear that these and their grouping colleagues are no longer rebels, they are independent MPs who used to affiliate to a different grouping (party). Despite what much of the electorate understandably might believe, this is right and proper in the British parliamentary system.

But a few hours ago they were Tory MPs and would be sitting with May. It's quite a time in history for both Tory & Labour.

In my ignorance, I don't understand how a person - of whatever party - can be voted into Office and sit on that party's side, then have a change of personal heart but still be allowed to keep their job in the HoC. They're now not representing the party that the public voted them in to.

This isn't a new thing - it's been around for years and years - but shouldn't there now be by-elections in each of these constituencies ? I'm not trying to start any arguments with this I just don't know the rules - any help on this one please ?

In my ignorance, I don't understand how a person - of whatever party - can be voted into Office and sit on that party's side, then have a change of personal heart but still be allowed to keep their job in the HoC. They're now not representing the party that the public voted them in to.

This isn't a new thing - it's been around for years and years - but shouldn't there now be by-elections in each of these constituencies ? I'm not trying to start any arguments with this I just don't know the rules - any help on this one please ?

I don't think there's any rule that means they have to face a by-election, but personally I feel that all 11 should.

Similar Brighton councillor has gone from yesterday Labour to becoming a Tory, which means Labour may lose overall power

Make them stand under new banner to see if its what people want

I think Left, centre and Right wing parties would agree 100 %

I don't think there's any rule that means they have to face a by-election, but personally I feel that all 11 should.

And this is where Corbyn and May are missing at trick, call them out and see what they do

I put Corbyn first as was afraid if I put May first I would be accused of left wing bias :ROFL:

And this is where Corbyn and May are missing at trick, call them out and see what they do

I put Corbyn first as was afraid if I put May first I would be accused of left wing bias :ROFL:

They're unlikely to go back, even if they could under the current leadership. I imagine a new Tory/Labour leader could invite them back? I really don't know.

No I meant call them out and say stand in by election as Independant

I think they have to be deselected in their constuency to enforce it. They're unlikely to stand for election at least until the new party takes form and gets some financial backers.

Ruth Smeeth MP for example, the CIA protected asset, used to be PR chief for BICOM. The Al Jazeera tv documentary exposed the machinations of the Israeli state in influencing British MPs. Many members of the PLP have had expenses paid trips to Israel. The primary cause of so many Jewish MPs hatred of Corbyn is of course because he dares to speak up for the Palestinian people, who have been victims of Israeli oppression for the past 70+ years.

CIA Asset lifted from Wiki Leaks, yeah, right ho.

Al Jazeera, the Saudi funded TV Channel, that'll be unbiased I'm sure.

PR at BOCOM, why do you have a issue with a Jewish person working for an Jewish organisation?

I'm begining to understand where this Antisemitism comes from.

I'm sure the people of Peterborough didn't vote to have their MP in prison, just like others voted for Labour or Tory not some new centre party. Would it be ok if the 7 had joined the BNP?

Just another example of the contempt they really have towards the people who vote for them and pay their wages........And expenses of course.

CIA Asset lifted from Wiki Leaks, yeah, right ho.

Al Jazeera, the Saudi funded TV Channel, that'll be unbiased I'm sure.

PR at BOCOM, why do you have a issue with a Jewish person working for an Jewish organisation?

I'm begining to understand where this Antisemitism comes from.

So Wikileaks is wrong?

Al Jazeeera owned and funded by Qatar. The documentary showed footage of Ryan falsely accusing a Labour party member of anti-Semitism merely for trying to get an answer on how Ryan saw the two state solution being implemented.

BICOM is a propaganda outfit which spends vast amounts of money in trying to obtain favourable coverage of Israel in the media without much regard for the facts. Why would a British Labour MP wish to undertake such a task?
If she was working for Iranian TV I suggest there would be much self righteous outrage in the media.

So Wikileaks is wrong?

Al Jazeeera owned and funded by Qatar. The documentary showed footage of Ryan falsely accusing a Labour party member of anti-Semitism merely for trying to get an answer on how Ryan saw the two state solution being implemented.

BICOM is a propaganda outfit which spends vast amounts of money in trying to obtain favourable coverage of Israel in the media without much regard for the facts. Why would a British Labour MP wish to undertake such a task?
If she was working for Iranian TV I suggest there would be much self righteous outrage in the media.

Nice try, you obviously have a issue with her as a Jewish person and try to justify your dislike with changing religion to skin colour. Your cap fits better than mine it would seem.

Just found this in relation to my question earlier:

"Why isn’t there a by-election when an MP defects from one political party to another?

There are no rules requiring the resignation of an MP who leaves one political party for another. A convention that the Member changing parties does not resign to fight a by-election accords with the arguments of Edmund Burke in the late 18th century. This MP, himself a rebel in a number of policy areas, considered that a Member was a representative rather than a delegate. Historically, the Commons has acted on the principle that all Members of the House of Commons are individually elected, and voters put a “cross against the name of a candidate”. While decisions on candidates may be affected by their party labels, MPs are free to develop their own arguments once elected, until it is time to face the voters in the next general election."

Now, call me old fashioned, but I'd only put a cross next an individuals name because he or she is there representing a party (along with it's manifesto), not themselves. Who'd've thought :Smile2:

Back