• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
If this is the future then build me a time machine because I preferred it in the past. If I ever have to watch another game of football on my laptop, then there's going to be trouble. Nothing violent obviously, I'm far too weedy for a public rampage, but I tell you what, there'll be some fairly serious letter-writing going on. I bought a big telly for a reason; so that I can watch football on it without having to press my nose up against the glass like a six year old outside a sweetshop. When I watch a game I want to see footballers running, not jerking their way across the screen like 1920s movie stars, occasionally vanishing behind a mysterious box reporting something called a 'timeout error'.

You don't watch the internet in the same way as you watch TV. If someone sends you a link to a video, you generally give it 20 seconds to make you chuckle and then you move on. If you read an article online, it has to grab you in the first paragraph or you're off, zipping through the ether to read something better, to play a game or to look at pictures of girls with their tops off. This is why I lasted just 17 seconds of the England game before I wandered away to get a cup of tea, only to dart back to the screen on hearing that the Ukranian fans were trying to set Rob Green ablaze with flares. Given the nature of his only contribution to the game they needn't have bothered.

This was a desperately boring football match, but I suppose it wasn't all bad. I secured my view by pumping a tenner into a betting website in exchange for my cyber-ticket, money which was quickly thrown behind the home nation on the basis that 3/1 was a ludicrous price for a decent team fighting for qualification against a side with nothing to play for. Every cloud and all that.

But if you'll excuse the undignified sight of a barely literate sports hack clambering all over his high horse, then hear this. We, as a species, are uniquely fortunate to have stumbled across something as tantalising and wondrous as the game of football. It is communal, it is social, it is something to be shared amongst everyone. You don't watch football on your own, hunched over a laptop, you watch it with friends or family or with complete strangers. Mankind's greatest achievements, in no particular order, are the invention of fire, the invention of the wheel and the codification of Association Football, but if The Powers That Be keep trying to charge me 15 Euros for jerky coverage of rubbish like this, I for one am going to start watching more rugby.

Absolutely right Slip - I hope they listen to the cries of outrage from the public and accept this was an experiment that FAILED!

I have to say I'm dismayed at the amount of positive coverage the online experiment got. Despite all the gnashing of teeth beforehand, some people seem to have resigned themselves to this "modernisation". I for one would much rather sit around the telly with mates and a few beers than on my own feeling like a sad old git hunched over my 13" laptop screen!

How bizarre that it was on TV in Denmark and Norway but not in the UK!

I have to say I'm dismayed at the amount of positive coverage the online experiment got. Despite all the gnashing of teeth beforehand, some people seem to have resigned themselves to this "modernisation".I for one would much rather sit around the telly with mates and a few beers than on my own feeling like a sad old git hunched over my 13" laptop screen!

How bizarre that it was on TV in Denmark and Norway but not in the UK!
:O Maybe they were thinking of a whole different audience with this experiment

Am i right in thinking that the FA, rather than be outraged that it was internet only responded by putting the U21s vs Macedonia on the 'net too ??

As i was at RH on Friday i can't say if this was in addition to being on tv or instead of

Quite bizarre to think that you could of flown to Copenhagen, watched it in a boozer there, had a pint and flown back, for less than the "on the day" price, for that shower of an internet service.

Quite bizarre to think that you could of flown to Copenhagen, watched it in a boozer there, had a pint and flown back, for less than the "on the day" price, for that shower of an internet service.

All that for a tenner? Isn't it about £8 a pint over there?

Back