• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Island Derby: Concord Rangers 1, Canvey 0

Thorpe Groyney

Open your mind
So, just a few short years after the then Gulls' manager Jeff King said they will be the number one team in Essex, it's confirmed - Canvey Island aren't even the number one team on Canvey Island.

Big crowd at Thames Road, 720. I thought the Gulls supporters let themselves down a bit with their continual chanting of what everything connected with Concord was s**t rather than supporting their team.

It seemed poetic justice that the game was decided by an injury time offside goal.

Here's one Gulls fan's take on it:

"How embarrassing though that the loudest noise from Concord was from their own players singing at the end!! They may be capable of 'buying' a good team, but one thing they will never be is a big 'club' - you can't buy fans."

I do love unintentional irony.

Was there any bother? I wasd speaking to someone a couple of weeks ago who was predicting some trouble at that game - hope none materialised. Fair play to Concord, just a point off the play-offs now, much like another Essex side that springs to mind.

There was afterwards, which necessitated a police car or 2 turning up to quell an incident that might have got out of hand, although I think it was more borne out of the intense annoyance of losing a derby game in such a manner. Plenty of less than flattering remarks from Canvey supporters about Concord but I wouldn't say I felt particularly worried about my own safety.

concord and billericay in great positions now for a play-off push, be great if one of them went up this season.

So...is there a defined split between where their support comes from Groyney? Do Concord fans all hail from the West of Canvey, and conversely, all CIFC fans hail from the East?!

Back