• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Lord Football

Blues on Tour
Firstly, and most importantly, I'll state that cancer is a terrible and indescriminate disease. It strikes the young and it strikes the old. I would not wish cancer on my worst enemy.

But I am getting increasingly concerned at the media circus that is Jade Goody.

Let us look a back at some history. Goody was a participant of Big Brother 3, a reality game show that she did not win. Aside from getting luck at the audition, she has no claim to fame and no talent. Indeed, she was regarded as the house dimwit. Since leaving the house the press have followed her, almost remorsesly. She has sold every facet of her life, courting controversy with racist comments during a Celeb BB and her on off relationships.

The public have, for whatever reason lapped this up. How a most ordinary and unexciting person can gain so much attention is somewhat worrying. And then we had the cancer scare. Many thought this was just another media grabbing scam originally, it is now clear that Jade, 27 and a mother of two will die in the next few months.

Even now, she continues to sell what little she has left. We are now bombarded with stories of her cancer, her suffering and her wedding. In fact this wedding looks to be bigger than the Charles n Di show of 1981. You really would think this is royalty, not some two bit cancer ridden slag. I believe she even got a mention in The House by the PM.

Now actually, I don't begrudge the wretched creature (Goody, not Brown) making money for her kids. I do however begrudge that this worthless individual is grabbing headline news, and we, the Great British Public, are lapping it up like depserate puppy dogs.

Is this what our society has become?

I am seriously split over this, on one hand I don't blame her for trying to make as much money in advance of her imminent death if it provides a better life for her two children but I personally do not feel happy about having to see her decaying rapidly on every television broadcast. Very ghoulish.

I remarked on this in the earlier Jade Goody thread.

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthread.php?t=48799

I am very uncomfortable with the whole circus that is going on, and it has even been suggested that her last breath will even be filmed. I have no issue with her trying to give her children a good financial legacy, and as a consequence they may have a better start to life than her. However this whole morbid fascination is now begining to pall.

If any good comes from this then it's the financial benefit for children, and if her case can get more young women to have early screening for cervical cancer then so much the better. The next thing that must come out of this is that the NHS stop this scandal of England not giving the chance for screening until women are 25, currently I believe the norm in Scotland & Wales is 20.

Is she the only person in the country dying of cancer?

Are there not far more worthy people who have gone through this without making the money she is?

And, I still am yet to be convinced she is actually dying, I wouldn't be at all surprised if she pulls through, and Hey Presto! Jade career number 3, "how I survived the Big C" comes into operation, and we are all treated to the spectre of her throughout the media as some sort of miracle woman.

And, finally, I am still convinced she walks around with a dirty ***.

Are there not far more worthy people who have gone through this without making the money she is?

And, I still am yet to be convinced she is actually dying, I wouldn't be at all surprised if she pulls through, and Hey Presto! Jade career number 3, "how I survived the Big C" comes into operation, and we are all treated to the spectre of her throughout the media as some sort of miracle woman.

Oh deary me.

I remarked on this in the earlier Jade Goody thread.

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthread.php?t=48799

I am very uncomfortable with the whole circus that is going on, and it has even been suggested that her last breath will even be filmed. I have no issue with her trying to give her children a good financial legacy, and as a consequence they may have a better start to life than her. However this whole morbid fascination is now begining to pall.

If any good comes from this then it's the financial benefit for children, and if her case can get more young women to have early screening for cervical cancer then so much the better. The next thing that must come out of this is that the NHS stop this scandal of England not giving the chance for screening until women are 25, currently I believe the norm in Scotland & Wales is 20.

That's it Harry, she's using her media worth to establish her boys' futures and at the same time giving a far higher profile to cancer screening than any other celebrity I can think of. She's a brave young woman and I just hope that when the time comes it passes peacefully for her.

Great thing to say...well done!!

I for one feel that if this 'media circus' raises awareness of cervical cancer and the fatality of it to the public and it saves just one life, then I am happy for it to be publicised 24/7.

The poor girl IS dying of cancer, no matter how cynically you see it. I feel for her and her kids, and hope she makes a fortune from the publicity surrounding her fate and that her kids are well looked after. Money doesn't mean much when you have lost your mum, but it will help. I don't begrudge her at all!

That's it Harry, she's using her media worth to establish her boys' futures and at the same time giving a far higher profile to cancer screening than any other celebrity I can think of. She's a brave young woman and I just hope that when the time comes it passes peacefully for her.

As a man of a certain age I wish that the profile of prostate cancer in men could be raised, like all cancers it's a killer but not so if spotted early through screening.

[/B]

Great thing to say...well done!!

I for one feel that if this 'media circus' raises awareness of cervical cancer and the fatality of it to the public and it saves just one life, then I am happy for it to be publicised 24/7.

The poor girl IS dying of cancer, no matter how cynically you see it. I feel for her and her kids, and hope she makes a fortune from the publicity surrounding her fate and that her kids are well looked after. Money doesn't mean much when you have lost your mum, but it will help. I don't begrudge her at all!

I agree with you, but I also share some of CCC Siders cynicism. As you and others have said if this can raise awareness then her death may not be in vain.

Harry, I think the thing with this case is that is raising the awareness for ALL younger people to be more aware - not just young women. I'd certainly like to think so - the current "young" generation is probably the most informed ever on diseases and conditions - those catchable and curable and those not, I hope they put their knowledge to good use.

Harry, I think the thing with this case is that is raising the awareness for ALL younger people to be more aware - not just young women. I'd certainly like to think so - the current "young" generation is probably the most informed ever on diseases and conditions - those catchable and curable and those not, I hope they put their knowledge to good use.

Agreed Kay, and not wanting to take this too far off topic, I would like to see a similar awareness in particular for prostate cancer in men as this cancer can be prevalent once men reach their 50's. My hope is that people of all ages become more aware and regularly check themselves and also attend screenings when and where they can. There was a mobile scanning unit this week in Benfleet for breast cancer, and a few minutes out of your schedule may long term save a few years off your life.

Not just that, Harry, but diabetes screening too and cholesterol, anything that gives you early warning can help you in later life.

As a man of a certain age I wish that the profile of prostate cancer in men could be raised, like all cancers it's a killer but not so if spotted early through screening.

Well said. Male cancers seem to get less publicity than breast cancer (I'm not knocking that, BTW) even if testicular cancer has started to get a lot more in recent years. Having lost an old footballing & cricketing mate to prostate cancer a couple of years ago, I am now a lot more aware of my ignorance on this cancer.

The person I knew with prostate cancer had only found he had it when it was too late & just wasted away from a fit, strong stocky bloke in his early 60's to a frail weak old man in the space of a few months.

Not only that, a work colleague was diagnosed with it, but in order to get prompt treatment for it, he had to rely on some German friends to pull some strings to have it done over there!

:soapbox:

Well said. Male cancers seem to get less publicity than breast cancer (I'm not knocking that, BTW) even if testicular cancer has started to get a lot more in recent years. Having lost an old footballing & cricketing mate to prostate cancer a couple of years ago, I am now a lot more aware of my ignorance on this cancer.

The person I knew with prostate cancer had only found he had it when it was too late & just wasted away from a fit, strong stocky bloke in his early 60's to a frail weak old man in the space of a few months.

Not only that, a work colleague was diagnosed with it, but in order to get prompt treatment for it, he had to rely on some German friends to pull some strings to have it done over there!

Rich, admire your sentiments there but really, pulling strings?!

Can you do a personal test for prostrate like you can for testicular?

Back