• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Flashing Blade

Youth Team
I remember reminiscing with some fans a few years back (when you got used to watching McSweeney and co it was best to reminisce about the good times) and I said that my two biggest disappointments as a Southend fan were that we didn't win the Division 3 Championship in 1991 when we should have done and that we'd never had a result that fans of other clubs instantly remember you for.

Col******r have Leeds in 72
Hereford have Newcastle
Wrexham have Arsenal
Sutton have Coventry

Just one game where you are forever linked with that club in the same breath. I didn't think it was too much to ask.
I would love to `do a Wigan' and reach the Premiership but that still requires a leap of faith rather than a realistic hope.
Beating a Premiership side in the cup has always felt like an attainable goal that we've never ever come close attaining.
As one paper wrote yesterday, Southend have never even slain the moderately tall, let alone the giants.
Sheffield Wednesday, Southampton, West Ham, Leicester, Coventry, Crystal Palace, all teams we've played in League games in the last 15 years and yet when it came to playing them in the cup when there's been one or two divisions between us, we've not performed.
0-2 has become our modus operandi when playing a top division side in the cup in recent times.
There had been some glorious failures before that, Everton, Tottenham and Liverpool but they were, in the end, failures. No one from Bristol would remember that Neville Southall somehow saved Benji's shot. No one from Chester would recall Crowny hitting the post with four minutes to go. No one from Carlisle would know about Derrick Parker bearing down on Ray Clemence, one-on-one.

In May of this year, Steve Tilson and the boys buried one of my disappointments. By winning the League One crown they put the name of Southend United on the honours list for that trophy and wiped out the injustice of Dave Martin's penalty miss. Where are Cambridge now, I ask myself?

Six months on and they have achieved the latter against the greatest club side in British football. The long, long wait, all those insipid 2-0 defeats, losing to Scarborough when Chelsea were waiting, never scoring when 10,000 Southend fans are in the same place so you could just see what it was like. It's all been made up for.
The nation was watching. The nation will remember. And when someone from Nottingham asks you who you support and you give your reply, instead of `Who's the manager there now?' or `Who's your Premiership team?' it will be ``Didn't they beat Man United once?''
Yes, sir, we did.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Flashing Blade @ Nov. 09 2006,12:02)]Beating a Premiership side in the cup has always felt like an attainable goal that we've never ever come close attaining.
As one paper wrote yesterday, Southend have never even slain the moderately tall, let alone the giants.
Sheffield Wednesday, Southampton, West Ham, Leicester, Coventry, Crystal Palace, all teams we've played in League games in the last 15 years and yet when it came to playing them in the cup when there's been one or two divisions between us, we've not performed.
0-2 has become our modus operandi when playing a top division side in the cup in recent times.
This is exactly what I was talking about with a Man Utd fan yesterday...the thing that made the result even more astonishing was that it was Southend and Manchester United...yeah upsets happen in football.. if they didn't it wouldn't be the game we all love, but Manchester United just do not get turned over by "minnows" (York does not count, as it was the youth team) last time I remember Man Utd being on the end of a major shock was Bournemouth in about 1984ish...on top of that Southend just do not do upsets.

So...how did this happen? although there is strictly speaking only two divisions between the 2 sides, in reality the gap is infinate.

This achievement cannot be underestimated.

Actually, the other thing we were missing was a cup run.

Quarter-finals of the league cup ain't bad, but the semi-finals would be awesome.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Nov. 09 2006,13:29)]Actually, the other thing we were missing was a cup run.

Quarter-finals of the league cup ain't bad, but the semi-finals would be awesome.
Which is why I'd like Wycombe at home...

smile.gif

That's why I can't get `Wycombe at home' out of my head.
(but I'd like it to come with a guarantee that we'd win
biggrin.gif
)

Two leg semi-final, one live on Sky, the other live on ITV, and who knows, Freddy might be tempted to stay in January (because the final is in February!)
wink.gif

We've never beaten Wycombe at home.

Lost all three times we've played them at Roots Hall.

I think we should save Wycombe for the semi final, after we've beaten Newcastle and they've beaten Charlton.

Back