• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The hero's welcome awarded to Diego Maradona in Scotland this week is truly laughable. The Jocks are not interested in Maradona's status as one of the greatest players of all time - just that he punched in a goal against England.

I find this quite loathsome, but ultimately pitiful. The Scots' football heritage is so bereft of glory that their heroes have to be foreigners who have cheated to defeat the big bully to the South. Listening to the pathetic Scottish contributors to the football phone-ins is half-painful and half-hilarious. 'The English cheated to win the World Cup'. We benefitted from a 50/50 decision going our way. And we won by two clear goals. Other than that, it's a good point. 'The English are arrogant, they think they can win the World Cup'. Well that's because we have. And we've lost a semi-final on penalties. And we're feared around the world.

The Scots define themselves through their hatred and jealousy of the English. This is often presented as amusing in the media. I regard it as utterly contemptible.

The hero's welcome awarded to Diego Maradona in Scotland this week is truly laughable. The Jocks are not interested in Maradona's status as one of the greatest players of all time - just that he punched in a goal against England.

The Scots define themselves through their hatred and jealousy of the English. This is often presented as amusing in the media. .

This is exactly the impression I get. Its a pretty sad state of affairs which is why, regardless of the economic arguments that were batted back and forth on a thread earlier this week, I think it would be better for England and Scotland to go their separate ways as its the only way to heal the hatred that many Scots seem to feel for England.

And as you say the broadcast media are a pretty spineless bunch on this subject. There is a openly stated policy at the BBC to woo Scots (and Welsh) viewers/listeners and part of this involves avoiding perceived slights to their national identity which too easily translates into having to be seen to enjoy digs at the English

I find this quite loathsome, but ultimately pitiful. The Scots' football heritage is so bereft of glory that their heroes have to be foreigners who have cheated to defeat the big bully to the South. Listening to the pathetic Scottish contributors to the football phone-ins is half-painful and half-hilarious. 'The English cheated to win the World Cup'. We benefitted from a 50/50 decision going our way. And we won by two clear goals. Other than that, it's a good point. 'The English are arrogant, they think they can win the World Cup'. Well that's because we have. And we've lost a semi-final on penalties. And we're feared around the world.

The Scots define themselves through their hatred and jealousy of the English. This is often presented as amusing in the media. I regard it as utterly contemptible.

And they claimed to be world champions when the beat the 66 team the season after.

You are right they have nothing to chear nationally hence why the have to idolise foreingers!!

I'm hoping that Butcher takes a swing for Maradonna on the touch line. That would be fantastic. Cheating, drugged up ****!

I think my stance on this old chestnut is well known.
So I'll just keep my "white settler" mouth shut on this one ;)

as a regular visitor to this land of hardened men wearing skirts, i find it a bit of a joke. All very much WWF.....hand bags of the highest order.

But they are decent folk generally once you get past the anti english chip they all have in built...

It will hardly get a mention tomorrow.....:D

and who mentioned south africa and new zealand? :stunned:

as a regular visitor to this land of hardened men wearing skirts, i find it a bit of a joke. All very much WWF.....hand bags of the highest order.

But they are decent folk generally once you get past the anti english chip they all have in built...

It will hardly get a mention tomorrow.....:D

and who mentioned south africa and new zealand? :stunned:

I have lived here for 5 years and have yet to get past the Chip!!

isnt there a deep fried kebab avail in glasgow?

i have had what i think was a deep fried sock in a chippy on the royal mile....:puke

Nope not that I know of, deep fried haggis, yes though!

Dave, up with you do you get sort of hash brown type things in the chipper?
I meant "on the menu", I know a number of chip shops will deep fry whatever you ask if they've got capacity in the fryers. Deep frying chocolate really sh@gs the oil so I've heard!

Nope not that I know of, deep fried haggis, yes though!

Dave, up with you do you get sort of hash brown type things in the chipper?
I meant "on the menu", I know a number of chip shops will deep fry whatever you ask if they've got capacity in the fryers. Deep frying chocolate really sh@gs the oil so I've heard!

There are 2 of Union Street that do a roaring trade when pubs and clubs chuck out, yes off the menu mate, i will see if i can get a pic of it tomorrow.

There are 2 of Union Street that do a roaring trade when pubs and clubs chuck out, yes off the menu mate, i will see if i can get a pic of it tomorrow.

Is that late night Chinese still open in the lane behind Union St? Top end near when Bex Bar is/was. Best hangover limitation trick ever, egg fried rice, noodles & chios & curry/gravy.

Anyway, oops :hijack:

Back