• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

"The Keeper" The Bert Trautman story

BALDY

Striker

Hi all,
If you can find the time to watch this.....I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did.

Watched it last night also enjoyed it grew up hearing about Bert to good to put a story to the name.

Hi all,
If you can find the time to watch this.....I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did.
would love to watch it but BBC Player1 dosent work here in the Philippines

would love to watch it but BBC Player1 dosent work here in the Philippines
Preview
Watch this film on YouTube
movieposter_en.webp

The Keeper
This full-length movie is available on YouTube.
Buy or rent

0:17 / 2:14

The Keeper​

Buy or rent

YouTube Movies & Shows

158M subscribers

Subscribe

Save

The Keeper tells the incredible true story of Bert Trautmann (David Kross), a German soldier and prisoner of war who, against a backdrop of British post-war protest and prejudice, secures the position of Goalkeeper at Manchester City, and in doing so becomes a footballing icon. Struggling for acceptance by those who dismiss him as the enemy, Bert's love for Margaret (Freya Mavor), an Englishwoman, carries him through and he wins over even his harshest opponents by winning the 1956 FA Cup Final, playing on with a broken neck to secure victory. But fate will soon twi …
Show more

Watch on YouTube​

movieposter_en.webp

The Keeper
Drama • 2018 • 1 hr 58 mins
English audio
Subtitles

I had no idea that he had ever played at Roots Hall.....So no.
One of Roots Hall’s most famous matches.

Trautmann supposedly rated it as his best performance.

Four days of continuous rain produced what was described as a “ghastly Paschendale of a pitch” and after a soft goal against the run of play we threw everything we had at Man City but Trautmann was equal to it all.

It was apparently their toughest game all season - and they went onto lift the cup.

There are, I believe, one or two on the board who witnessed it person.

One of Roots Hall’s most famous matches.

Trautmann supposedly rated it as his best performance.

Four days of continuous rain produced what was described as a “ghastly Paschendale of a pitch” and after a soft goal against the run of play we threw everything we had at Man City but Trautmann was equal to it all.

It was apparently their toughest game all season - and they went onto lift the cup.

There are, I believe, one or two on the board who witnessed it person.
My dad did, I believe.

Bert Trautmann, the German goalkeeper who won the FA Cup with Manchester City in 1956, played with a broken neck.

Southend-United-V-Manchester-Utd-Fa-Cup-4Th.jpg
This was the 16th game ever played at Roots Hall since it's opening game against Norwich City on the 20th August 1955

Our FA Cup run that season.

FA Cup 1st Round 19th Nov 1955

Southend United 2-0 QPR Att. 15,000 Scorers: Barker, Hollis.

FA Cup 2nd Round 10th Dec 1955
Southend United 1-0 Weymouth Att. 10,000 Scorer: Lockhart

FA Cup 3rd Round 7th Jan 1956
Lincoln City 2 -3 Southend United Att. 11,238 Scorers: Hollis (2) McCrory

FA Cup 4th Round 28th Jan 1956
Southend United 0-1 Manchester City Scorer: Hayes Att. 29,500 (Our 2nd highest attendance only beaten by Liverpool game on the 10th Jan 1979 with 31,033).

Teams

Southend United
Threadgold, Williamson, Howe, Duthie, Stirling, Lawler, Lockhart, McCrory, Hollis, Baron, McGuigan

Manchester City Trautmann, Ewing, Little, Barnes, Leivers, Paul, Spurdle, Hayes, Johnstone, Dyson, Clarke

Some interesting news reports and personal accounts here:-

FA Cup 4th Round SUFC v MCFC

Trying to get the game on before the match, cutting trenches, filling with Leigh Cockle Shells to aid drainage.

bISZA5.jpg

Does not look like it worked that well

Manchester-City-1956 2.jpg

Video of the Southend United v Manchester City game (watch on Yoitube) this is fantastic footage of the game and rain soaked Roots Hall.

Manchester City went on to beat Liverpool 2-1 after a replay in the 5th Round, beat Everton 2-1 in the 6th Round, beat Tottenham Hotspur 1-0 in the Semi-Final, and beat Birmingham City 3-1 in the final at Wembley in front of 100,000 to win the 1956 FA Cup.

Brilliant film. Saw it a year or so ago and I thought it was one of the most interesting stories I'd heard of in football.

I will watch it in you tube, i was just 9 years old when this was played ,i remember it well wasnt at the game as normally me and my mates back then climbed over the wall into the toilet block, but because of the rain gave that idea away .We used to stand behind the goal on the hill end ,always get a word or two from Harry .,when he was keeping at that ens
, The toilet block was down at the covered end.

Back