• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The last comparable team?

I’m as guilty as anyone and it’s easy to say stuff like “worst team we’ve had in 20 years...”

Looking back, I’m assuming you’d have to compare it against another team that took us out of this League. Are we worse than them? Maybe we are.... so in which case, we’re the worst team since...... when!?

How far do we have to go back?

I would say that in the equivalent division it was the side that Peter Morris put together in 1983/84. Although they managed two spectacular victories 6-1 at Scunthorpe and 6-0 at home to Brentford the rest of the time they were dross and got relegated even after Booby Moore tried to save us.

I don’t think I’ve seen a team lacking leadership, confidence,motivation and simple passing
No fight Pigott out jumped, out played his marker every time
Only light Elvis running down the flanks
Cannot think of a team worse than this in 40 years

I've been supporting 50 years now and I'm struggling. I do remember as a kid there were times when the fans would sing "What a load of rubbish" and do a slow handclap. I remember players who were far worse on paper. But as a collective? Not sure.

This is as bad as I can ever recall.

I have seen worse teams, teams struggling in a division lower , with worse players and much lower crowds, but back in those days I still enjoyed going.
It was obviously the mates I was going with, standing on the Northbank and the other groups around us. Today I dragged myself to RH , slumped in my seat and had a wholly miserable afternoon. What I would have given for Harry and the rest to be around me to squeeze some fun out of it.
52 years since my first game and this is the lowest I have felt, and I have watched Richard Young and Chris Ramsey.....

I know what you mean, 50+ years supporting for me too. I don't think the terrible home performances, match after match, have ever gone on for so long before and feeling that we are already relegated this early on in the season is horrible.

This is worst than both the 96/97 and 97/98 relegation squads !! Atleast then seasons we had some good wins ! 5-2 Bolton anyone ??? Anyway this season is the worst!

I know what you mean, 50+ years supporting for me too. I don't think the terrible home performances, match after match, have ever gone on for so long before and feeling that we are already relegated this early on in the season is horrible.

Yes, that is a fact... 15 home defeats this calendar year with at least 6 more games to come.

I think I'd feel better if we were Bolton and there was a tangible reason for it... but we have signed good players on good money. They are just not doing their jobs.

I have been watching the Shrimpers for 60 years and I've seen some poor teams. The players in the current team are actually not as weak as some of their predecessors BUT a number of them are the least motivated and least disciplined professionals that I've seen. There are some rotten apples infecting others. It's still early in the season and we only need to finish 20th so I remain hopeful of L1 football next season but, boy, lots has gotta change, and soon......

I said a few weeks back that under Alvin Martin, things were worse.

Im starting to think that this is worse. Purely because these are supposedly decent players on good money.

Alvins team were poor players on poor wages in a poorer league.

Some of these so called players are on big wages.

I’m as guilty as anyone and it’s easy to say stuff like “worst team we’ve had in 20 years...”

Looking back, I’m assuming you’d have to compare it against another team that took us out of this League. Are we worse than them? Maybe we are.... so in which case, we’re the worst team since...... when!?

How far do we have to go back?

Last year.

And the year before that as well.

The biggest issue with this soccer team is that there are very few players who can create something out of nothing. Of course we have to understand the level we at, but equally the calibre of talent in this league is amongst the highest ever.

Think back to all the successful and exciting teams we've had over the past 20 years and think of the marquee player who made you BELIEVE something would happen every time they got the ball.

Otto, Eastwood, Gower, Bilel, Leonard, Black (Tommy) - apart from Humphreys who has some element of spontaneity our entire roster is stacked with timid, unexciting players.

I think we've hit the nadir, defensively at least. Alvin Martin's era was as bad as it got for me, we've got better strikers now, but overall I think we're perhaps even worse as a team.

Last edited:
That team in '84-'85 was pretty poor. I think we finished either just above the "re-election" zone - apologies to younger posters - or in the top position in it.

The biggest issue with this soccer team is that there are very few players who can create something out of nothing. Of course we have to understand the level we at, but equally the calibre of talent in this league is amongst the highest ever.

Think back to all the successful and exciting teams we've had over the past 20 years and think of the marquee player who made you BELIEVE something would happen every time they got the ball.

Otto, Eastwood, Gower, Bilel, Leonard, Black (Tommy) - apart from Humphreys who has some element of spontaneity our entire roster is stacked with timid, unexciting players.

I think you are on to something there.

We don't have any flair players or more importantly we don't have a talisman type.

Barry corr being a great example. Not the most gifted but fxxk me did he graft and was so loved by the fans. A proper team player.

So many like that. Unsung heroes.

We are missing a pettifer or an Atkinson. True pros. Real 100% players. Of course it helps if you have a freddy Eastwood who was a little magician in that final third.

We also have a team of individuals. We need to the team to fight for each other bit fight each other.

I think any Shrimper that was around before the Tilson/Brush era will have witnessed varying degrees of dross. For me the second season under Whelan, Colin Murphy's side, Alvin Martin and Alan Little spring to mind immediately.
However. I'm struggling to recall a time where I saw nothing to be hopeful about. This group are a shower. God only knows what's going on behind the scenes. The excessive injury's, the complete lack of team spirit, tactics, professionalism, guile, ability???
The statistics over the last year do not lie, at Roots Hall at least this is The Worst Southend United side in history.

Quite the accolade.

And yet 6000 turned out to watch them. Incredible support.

I only have as far back as 1996/97 to compare with. I don’t know, this could be the worst for me, possibly ahead of 1997/98 under Alvin Martin, but maybe for slightly different reasons. I think Alvin’s team was just plain not very good at the time. This one, at lease individually, I do still think is. But it has no character, no team spirit and you can see the players literally giving up in front of your own eyes. This for me makes it a more soul-destroying experience to watch week-to-week than it was under Martin.

I first watched the blues in 1990. Alvin Martin's side was poor, and a good example of why it never hurts to have played at the level of the game you're thinking of managing in. Larsson take note.
What gets me about this side is that I see plenty of players that surely aren't relegation fodder, but a team that certainly is. For me it's a total lack of quality in midfield - whoever we pick offers little to support the attack and nothing to support the defence. Play any 4 from a (much criticised at the time) midfield of Atkinson, Leonard, Deegan, Timlin, Wordsworth - and I think we'd be mid table by Christmas. We've recruited in this area spectacularly badly and we're stuck with them all for a while yet - so this could get worse before it gets better.

Back