• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The last comparable team?

Like a host of others, it's difficult to recall the minutiae of seasons past - but you do recall characters.
This squad lacks them.
Maybe, Cox and Humphrys have something about them; I know Elvis is starting to win fans' affection, but the rest?
A few occasionally blow hot hot but mostly cold, and they lack heart after so many defeats.
Assuming Larsson takes control, has he the wherewithal to ship players out in January and bring in an untried six or seven as a unit?
If we escape, it will be by the skin of our teeth, and if we do, this time, we really do need a savage cull.

Like a host of others, it's difficult to recall the minutiae of seasons past - but you do recall characters.
This squad lacks them.
Maybe, Cox and Humphrys have something about them; I know Elvis is starting to win fans' affection, but the rest?
A few occasionally blow hot hot but mostly cold, and they lack heart after so many defeats.
Assuming Larsson takes control, has he the wherewithal to ship players out in January and bring in an untried six or seven as a unit?
If we escape, it will be by the skin of our teeth, and if we do, this time, we really do need a savage cull.
I think the key is to watch players reactions after a goal. Just watch the heads go down after yet another goal conceded in sloppy circumstances. Lennon and Kiernan are especially guilty of this. Look then at Elvis and his desire to get the ball back and go again. They should be tearing into each other, have some sort of determination to put things right and I see little of that. If they suddenly start performing with a new man coming in I’m pretty sure there’ll be many fans who feel furious and let down. Let’s see.

I said a few weeks back that under Alvin Martin, things were worse.

Im starting to think that this is worse. Purely because these are supposedly decent players on good money.

Alvins team were poor players on poor wages in a poorer league.

Some of these so called players are on big wages.

Tbh back in 97/98 Andy Rammel was on 2k a week, as was Paul Williams, jerone boeore, then players like Richard Hobson who can in were on 3k a week. Years ago there was a wage list that came out of players in the late 90s if I can find it I will post it up. Oh yeh Keith Dublin was also on 2k a week.

So tbh I don’t think the players back then were on much less than the players are in now and tbh inflation and cost of living over last two years aswell would mean maybe the players are in less now.

Tbh back in 97/98 Andy Rammel was on 2k a week, as was Paul Williams, jerone boeore, then players like Richard Hobson who can in were on 3k a week. Years ago there was a wage list that came out of players in the late 90s if I can find it I will post it up. Oh yeh Keith Dublin was also on 2k a week.

So tbh I don’t think the players back then were on much less than the players are in now and tbh inflation and cost of living over last two years aswell would mean maybe the players are in less now.

Who?

The only other time I’ve been this disheartened and embarrassed to be a Southend fan was during Alvin Martin’s unforgettably dire tenure....

That team in '84-'85 was pretty poor. I think we finished either just above the "re-election" zone - apologies to younger posters - or in the top position in it.

83/84 Peter Morris signed players like Greig Shepherd, Steve Collins, Brian Ferguson, Lil Fucillo, Chris Turner, Billy Kellock and Trevor Whymark who were all either past it or never going to make it. We used 5 goalkeepers - including John Keeley who eventually played 26 consecutive League games without being on the winning side.

Most of these were still around for part of 84/85 when Mickey Stead Paul Clark, Glenn Pennyfather, Ron Pountney and Steve Phillips were regulars yet we only avoided finishing in the bottom 4 and having to apply for re election by winning our last game. All 5 of those are legends but the rest were so poor.

I've been supporting 50 years now and I'm struggling. I do remember as a kid there were times when the fans would sing "What a load of rubbish" and do a slow handclap. I remember players who were far worse on paper. But as a collective? Not sure.

This is as bad as I can ever recall.

And we haven't even got the cushions in the East stand that used to get thrown at the end to show our displeasure. Think they cost about sixpence :LoyalSupporter:

I think the key is to watch players reactions after a goal. Just watch the heads go down after yet another goal conceded in sloppy circumstances. Lennon and Kiernan are especially guilty of this. Look then at Elvis and his desire to get the ball back and go again. They should be tearing into each other, have some sort of determination to put things right and I see little of that. If they suddenly start performing with a new man coming in I’m pretty sure there’ll be many fans who feel furious and let down. Let’s see.

It'll be a bit bitter/sweet, won't it? The pleasure of seeing them finally perform to their ability and get us out of trouble, coupled with the anger that they could have done this all the time.

This squad lacks them.

I'm not sure it will; if we escape, I think it will be quite comfortable. If he can't get us going, we won't be anywhere near escaping.

I've been supporting 50 years now and I'm struggling. I do remember as a kid there were times when the fans would sing "What a load of rubbish" and do a slow handclap. I remember players who were far worse on paper. But as a collective? Not sure.

This is as bad as I can ever recall.

I remember in the years just before Tilson I wore my Southend replica top. I would have been about 10 and someone shouted "why Southend? They're s***!" While I was out with my mum.

I think I was possibly too young to know just how bad we were then, this is the worst it's been since I've been old enough to pay attention.

Like 'Firestorm' I've been going for 52 years, although I stopped for 2 years 84-86, due to our miserable form & my 1st son being born ( other priorities kicked in ).
But at least back then, we had journeyman players who did the best they could.
Fast forward to now, dear oh dear how we need a Dave Martin, or many others I could name between 91-09 to command the guys around them.
The reality is we've got a massive struggle in the next couple of years, to get rid of those who don't care, & hopefully get some in who have desire & want to advance their careers?.
It's not going to be easy.

I think for me its the worst its been since the back to back relegations starting 96 and the following seasons to 2000. Obviously that period came after a very positive season where we finished 14th, and then we went into a decline that seemed to last forever.
We actually were battling relegation from football league on a couple of occasions, so when I hear people say it cant get much worse I fear it actually could.

Just had a look at the lowest points accumulated for a relegated Southend team (post WW2)

1965/66 Div 3 P 46 W 16 D 4 L 26 Sc 54 Con 83 Pts 36 - 21st

1975–76 Div 3 P 46 W 12 D 13 L 21 Sc 65 Con 75 Pts 37 - 23rd

1979–80 Div 3 P 46 W 14 D 10 L 22 Sc 47 Con 58 Pts 38 - 22nd

1983–84 Div 3 P 46 W 10 D 14 L 22 Sc 55 Con 76 Pts 44 - 22nd

1988–89 Div 3 P 46 W 13 D 15 L 18 Sc 56 Con 75 Pts 54 - 21st

1996–97 Div 1 P 46 W 8 D 15 L 23 Sc 42 Con 86 Pts 39 - 24th

1997–98 Div 2 P 46 W 11 D 10 L 25 Sc 47 Con 79 Pts 43 - 24th

2006–07 Champ P 46 W 10 D 12 L 24 Sc 47 Con 80 Pts 42 - 22nd

2009–10 League 1 P 46 W 10 D 13 L 23 Sc 51 Con72 Pts 43 - 23rd

Back