• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The last comparable team?

Just had a look at the lowest points accumulated for a relegated Southend team (post WW2)

1965/66 Div 3 P 46 W 16 D 4 L 26 Sc 54 Con 83 Pts 36 - 21st

1975–76 Div 3 P 46 W 12 D 13 L 21 Sc 65 Con 75 Pts 37 - 23rd

1979–80 Div 3 P 46 W 14 D 10 L 22 Sc 47 Con 58 Pts 38 - 22nd

1983–84 Div 3 P 46 W 10 D 14 L 22 Sc 55 Con 76 Pts 44 - 22nd

1988–89 Div 3 P 46 W 13 D 15 L 18 Sc 56 Con 75 Pts 54 - 21st

1996–97 Div 1 P 46 W 8 D 15 L 23 Sc 42 Con 86 Pts 39 - 24th

1997–98 Div 2 P 46 W 11 D 10 L 25 Sc 47 Con 79 Pts 43 - 24th

2006–07 Champ P 46 W 10 D 12 L 24 Sc 47 Con 80 Pts 42 - 22nd

2009–10 League 1 P 46 W 10 D 13 L 23 Sc 51 Con72 Pts 43 - 23rd
Interesting that statistically the 65/66 season was the worst. I remember going to many away games where we were simply embarrassing, a 4-0 defeat at Swindon stands out in my memory as being utterly abject. Our home form was good, W15, D1, L 7 but away we only won once, losing 19. Firmani scored 16 goals,but only 2 away, which is indicative. Relegation to the 4th for the first time was painful, but on the strength of some good home wins, it didn't seem nearly so bad as things are now, with our dismal home form, for nearly a year now, at the heart of our problems.

Interesting that statistically the 65/66 season was the worst. I remember going to many away games where we were simply embarrassing, a 4-0 defeat at Swindon stands out in my memory as being utterly abject. Our home form was good, W15, D1, L 7 but away we only won once, losing 19. Firmani scored 16 goals,but only 2 away, which is indicative. Relegation to the 4th for the first time was painful, but on the strength of some good home wins, it didn't seem nearly so bad as things are now, with our dismal home form, for nearly a year now, at the heart of our problems.
The points total for the earliest three seasons there has been worked out at 2 points per win, so they look worse than they should. If they were assessed with the same formula as the other seasons shown they would be:

1965-66: 52 points
1975-76: 49 points
1979-80: 52 points

52 points seems like a lovely dream right now.

in 1922 we finished bottom of the league , 27 points W8 drew 11 in 42 games , equates to 35 points these day (but only 42 games averages 38 points over 46)

In current money , 65/66 would be 52 points
75/76 49 points
79/80 52 points

At the moment we will struggle to get 20 !

One thing has changed for sure. Whenever any of the previous teams were relegated, we admitted the whole team were poor and usually the manger as well. Now we look for sacapegoats such as the midfield, Oxley or 3 managers previous.

The thing that is most infuriating is our complete lack of effort or professionalism at RH......No group of players I have ever seen have been this bad at home.......Especially the higher paid ones.

If you go back to when we last lost to Wimbledon, We have lost six games that are 6 pointers......Using 4 different managers. We don't even have the balls to scrape a draw.

The points total for the earliest three seasons there has been worked out at 2 points per win, so they look worse than they should. If they were assessed with the same formula as the other seasons shown they would be:

1965-66: 52 points
1975-76: 49 points
1979-80: 52 points

52 points seems like a lovely dream right now.
Yes of course, should have remembered that, obviously why it didn't seem so bad, thanks for reminding me.

You've neatly glossed over the narrow 9-1 away defeat at Brighton that season which I had the "pleasure" of attending. Firmani didn't play and Woodley actually played centre-forward. Like Saturday, it could have been more.

You've neatly glossed over the narrow 9-1 away defeat at Brighton that season which I had the "pleasure" of attending. Firmani didn't play and Woodley actually played centre-forward. Like Saturday, it could have been more.
I had to miss that one as I was working, must be forever burned in your memory.

Ha! You should have been at school.It was a mid-week or Friday night game IIRC. :Winking:

Ha! You should have been at school.It was a mid-week or Friday night game IIRC. :Winking:

Don't rely on memory - get the Peter Mason book out -Saturday 27 November 1965.

I think you are confusing it with the FA Cup in December 67 when the first round tie was snowed off on Saturday 9th December. I went to Highbury with the undersoil heating -that lasted to half time!

The rearranged game at Brighton took place on Wed 13 December with just a 1-0 defeat.

[QUOTE="LBBlue, post: 2187936, member: 2413"]Don't rely on memory - get the Peter Mason book out -Saturday 27 November 1965.

I think you are confusing it with the FA Cup in December 67 when the first round tie was snowed off on Saturday 9th December. I went to Highbury with the undersoil heating -that lasted to half time!

The rearranged game at Brighton took place on Wed 13 December with just a 1-0 defeat.[/QUOTE]

Ha.Got a copy thanks but I sill prefer to rely on my memory.Remember seeing the author sitting next to MT in our heavy League Cup away defeat at Palace back in the day.Still think the 65/6 game was mid-week or Friday. Otherwise I'd have gone.Although we were **** poor that season.Remember being shocked when I heard the result.Not confusing it all with that FA Cup game in 67 at all.

No, definitely a Saturday. I went on one of the two Eastern National coaches.

Even if it were midweek, it certainly wouldn't have been the last occasion I missed school to go to an away game.

Don't rely on memory - get the Peter Mason book out -Saturday 27 November 1965.

The rearranged game at Brighton took place on Wed 13 December with just a 1-0 defeat.

I remember that one too. Went to Chelmsford on the Saturday - they drew 3-3 with Oxford in the FA Cup. Drew the replay at Oxford 3-3 too, then won in the second replay at Brentford.
Impressive as Oxford won the Third Division and went up to the second tier of English football.

Last edited:
I remember that one too. Went to Chelmsford on the Saturday - they drew 3-3 with Oxford in the FA Cup. Drew the replay at Oxford 3-3 too, then won in the second replay at Brentford.
Impressive as Oxford won the Third Division and went up to the second tier of English football.

Memories.

Our entire family (all three of us) also went to both games.

Very snowy at Chelmsford iirc and I think both Atkinsons were playing for Oxford.

Took a while for the coach back from Brighton to get home and some clown was hammered on Crabbe's ginger wine and kept us all awake. If you are on SZ identify yourself.

My bad.Guess I'll have to consult Paul Mason's yellow book a bit more in future.:Dunce:

Definitely a Saturday afternoon. I was watching the results on a TV through a shop window in Southend High Street.

Bus journey home was pretty ****

I can only really count the past 20 years and this team is by far the worst squad of players I have ever seen. That's down the attitude, injury records, lack of consistency, just not being any good, amount of individual errors leading to goals, year after year of poor signings, lack of effort, the list can go on and on but I'll be the first to admit that I can't stand half (at least) of the players we have playing for our beloved team currently.

Back