• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Amazing!(Well for me anyway!)If this photo is 1955,it must be the FA Cup tie and my first ever match(aged 6).I haven't managed to pick myself out,but I was on the wall at that end of the ground,strange how the mind works,but I remember it quite well !

I'm somewhat confused by the photo. Is it 55 or 58? Does anyone proof read? Does anyone care?

I'm somewhat confused by the photo. Is it 55 or 58? Does anyone proof read? Does anyone care?

Believe the Club Website they're always on the ball. :winking:

The match was indeed 1955. Infact 19th November 1955. We beat QPR 2-0 with Barker and Hollis scoring the goals. The records show that the attendance was exactly 15,000. Nothing strange there - pick a number, any number - it could well have been exactly 15,000. However, our next match in the Cup away to Weymouth (which we won 1-0) was attended - according to the records - by exactly 10,000 souls! Hmm!

Our Cup run ended that season in the fourth round, at home, against Manchester City where we lost 0-1.

I'am assuming that that was the match against Bert Trautman on a quagmire of a pitch when our own keeper Threadgold twisted and changed direction (in full flight) to save a deflected attempt on goal?

PS My claim to fame: Harry Threadgold once helped me off the pitch at Bournes Green after i had badly injured my ankle. He had nothing to do with the team i was playing for (Southend Collegians) or the opposition...

...now there is a Southend Legend

Some have suggested this picture is 1958 not 1955.They are wrong:Blues ' no.11 is clearly McGuigan not Punton,who had replaced him by 1958-see "team of Macs" thread.

Back