• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Latvia Thread

MK Shrimper

Striker
Post your interest facts, pictures and comments about this Baltic state so Yorkie doesn't blow a gasket.

Be nice, it's a friday :Smile:

For example, this is Marija Naumova and she won Eurovision in 2002 with the song "I Wanna". What's she wanna's is up for debate, but I'd imagine it's seeing Southend beat Blackpool by a large margin tomorrow afternoon.

1542378297139.jpeg

220 × 302

Last edited:
The Skonto Stadium, Riga, is the only international football ground where I have got to get myself on the pitch. Twice.

Mind you, the first time it was under a couple foot of snow.

Sadly, pictures are too large to share here....

While in Riga, I enjoyed my visit to the Occupation Museum,which tells the real story of Latvia's plight under Nazi and Soviet occupations from 1940 to 1991.

Im sure they tell you all about the SS Einsatzgruppen and what cheeky chaps they were on a day out. Or their heroic last stand in the Courland pockett

Anything on the Arajs Kommando?

How about the Perkonkrusts, who are still around today. That's the wonderful thing about the EU. With open borders the more racist your country the easier it is to move your 'diversity' and all the benefits it brings onto someone else.

I ordered a cheese burger in Riga and got exactly that, all cheese, no burger. Put me off becoming vegetarian but the beer was ok.

Im sure they tell you all about the SS Einsatzgruppen and what cheeky chaps they were on a day out. Or their heroic last stand in the Courland pockett

Anything on the Arajs Kommando?

How about the Perkonkrusts, who are still around today. That's the wonderful thing about the EU. With open borders the more racist your country the easier it is to move your 'diversity' and all the benefits it brings onto someone else.

Met many of the above wandering around Westcliff have we?

I know someone from Southend who now lives in Latvia. Never been there myself. Thought about it mind.

I ordered a cheese burger in Riga and got exactly that, all cheese, no burger. Put me off becoming vegetarian but the beer was ok.
Funny, a fast food franchise a la MacDonalds opened here in Madona(small town, middle of Latvia) a while ago and their cheeseburger is the same. As I 'm a vegetarian no complaints but I was taken aback at first. Local beer here very good ranging from strong dark ales to light, lager type brews. And the non alcoholic Kvass is a perfect thirst quencher on a hot day.

Funny, a fast food franchise a la MacDonalds opened here in Madona(small town, middle of Latvia) a while ago and their cheeseburger is the same. As I 'm a vegetarian no complaints but I was taken aback at first. Local beer here very good ranging from strong dark ales to light, lager type brews. And the non alcoholic Kvass is a perfect thirst quencher on a hot day.
Yeah, when I got it I thought 'Oh well, when in Rome' but three bites in and I was struggling. Left the rest and got a dirty look from the chef as if I had just punched his sainted mother. Found a proper burger later that was tip top.

I liked Riga, very Soviet era with the statues and monuments but very friendly people, apart from the chef ?

Yeah, when I got it I thought 'Oh well, when in Rome' but three bites in and I was struggling. Left the rest and got a dirty look from the chef as if I had just punched his sainted mother. Found a proper burger later that was tip top.

I liked Riga, very Soviet era with the statues and monuments but very friendly people, apart from the chef ?
Never upset a man with a meat cleaver in his hand.

Me and three of my mates went to Riga on a jolly up about 7 years ago.

Hard to describe the exact location, but somewhere in Riga is a small athletics track with a single grandstand. Right next to it is a small clubhouse type building. You go through the doors, immediately walk down a flight of concrete stairs & wander into a very long & narrow room, which was freezing cold & dimly lit. It was like a small underground bomb shelter.

This is the Riga shooting range. Odd, eerie little place, ran by a man & wife who must be in their 70’s. They were unable to speak Much English, but they were very friendly seemed hospitable.

The health and safety aspect of this gun range wasn’t like what I’d seen before in the Western World. Instead of sound proofing the walls, they had simply nailed a load of empty egg cartons to the wall. The training they gave you, was a like a bad game of charades, which centred around two key elements: Point at target. Pull here. Safety goggles & ear defenders were seen by them as an admission of homosexuality.

After an hour or so of playing with their wide selection of three guns - an AK47, pump-action shotgun & a Glock - the guy insisted we take some photos with the weapons, and then surprisingly wandered off somewhere, to leave us to our own childish devices.

After a few minutes & some Rambo-inspired pics, the little old man came running back, yelling “no, no”, to my friend who was wielding the Glock. He grabbed the gun from him & in the only bit of good English I recall him speaking he said “gun in waist like real gangster”, and proceeded to shove the gun into my mates waistband, before stepping back, putting both thumbs up, grinning inanely & encouraging the photo to be taken

An uneasy feeling set in amoung us shortly after that, and it dawned on us, that we were in the middle of nowhere, in a dark underground bunker, with these - albeit friendly - but possibly unhinged locals & their guns.

We said our goodbyes & asked if they’d phone us a taxi, as we had no real idea where we were, but that seemed to get lost in translation. So much so, that the old boy and his missus started a very fiery argument with each other, right in front of us. It seemed to get resolved fairly quickly & the old boy beckoned for us to follow him. We walked outside & around the corner to a carpark, where he instructed us to get into to a car that looked like it was on loan from a museum.

As it turned out, their argument was about us asking for a taxi. They thought that we were asking THEM to drive us. The old woman was keen to be a good host, aswel as earn an extra couple of quid, so she demanded that her husband comply with our “request” and that he subsequently took us back to town.

All-in-all, a strange couple of hours, but would definitely recommend.

Me and three of my mates went to Riga on a jolly up about 7 years ago.

Hard to describe the exact location, but somewhere in Riga is a small athletics track with a single grandstand. Right next to it is a small clubhouse type building. You go through the doors, immediately walk down a flight of concrete stairs & wander into a very long & narrow room, which was freezing cold & dimly lit. It was like a small underground bomb shelter.

This is the Riga shooting range. Odd, eerie little place, ran by a man & wife who must be in their 70’s. They were unable to speak Much English, but they were very friendly seemed hospitable.

The health and safety aspect of this gun range wasn’t like what I’d seen before in the Western World. Instead of sound proofing the walls, they had simply nailed a load of empty egg cartons to the wall. The training they gave you, was a like a bad game of charades, which centred around two key elements: Point at target. Pull here. Safety goggles & ear defenders were seen by them as an admission of homosexuality.

After an hour or so of playing with their wide selection of three guns - an AK47, pump-action shotgun & a Glock - the guy insisted we take some photos with the weapons, and then surprisingly wandered off somewhere, to leave us to our own childish devices.

After a few minutes & some Rambo-inspired pics, the little old man came running back, yelling “no, no”, to my friend who was wielding the Glock. He grabbed the gun from him & in the only bit of good English I recall him speaking he said “gun in waist like real gangster”, and proceeded to shove the gun into my mates waistband, before stepping back, putting both thumbs up, grinning inanely & encouraging the photo to be taken

An uneasy feeling set in amoung us shortly after that, and it dawned on us, that we were in the middle of nowhere, in a dark underground bunker, with these - albeit friendly - but possibly unhinged locals & their guns.

We said our goodbyes & asked if they’d phone us a taxi, as we had no real idea where we were, but that seemed to get lost in translation. So much so, that the old boy and his missus started a very fiery argument with each other, right in front of us. It seemed to get resolved fairly quickly & the old boy beckoned for us to follow him. We walked outside & around the corner to a carpark, where he instructed us to get into to a car that looked like it was on loan from a museum.

As it turned out, their argument was about us asking for a taxi. They thought that we were asking THEM to drive us. The old woman was keen to be a good host, aswel as earn an extra couple of quid, so she demanded that her husband comply with our “request” and that he subsequently took us back to town.

All-in-all, a strange couple of hours, but would definitely recommend.
Sounds like a surreal experience. I suppose putting it on Trip Advisor would spoil its mystique!

Sounds like a surreal experience. I suppose putting it on Trip Advisor would spoil its mystique!

We got told about the place by our hotel concierge* She phoned us a taxi, which took us fairly close by, but even the driver wasn’t sure of the exact location. From memory, the place wasn’t sign posted or advertised at all. I’ll see if I can find any of my old pictures from the place.

*she turned out to be quite the tour guide. Not only did she get us into the best clubs, with her & her pals, but the day after the gun range, she got off work, and personally drove us about 30-40 miles out of Riga, into what I can only describe as a forest, to an Olympic bobsled track, which we got to have a go on. That was another surreal moment

Last edited:
We got told about the place by our hotel concierge* She phoned us a taxi, which took us fairly close by, but even the driver wasn’t sure of the exact location. From memory, the place wasn’t sign posted or advertised at all. I’ll see if I can find any of my old pictures from the place.

*she turned out to be quite the tour guide. Not only did she get us into the best clubs, with her & her pals, but the day after the gun range, she got off work, and personally drove us about 30-40 miles out of Riga, into what I can only describe as a forest, to an Olympic bobsled track, which we got to have a go on.

Did you ?

Back