• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Beefy

Life President
As we all know, Sunday will be our third Football League Trophy final after the two games at Cardiff in 2004 and 2005. Obviously we lost those games but they were still both amazing experiences and a real taster for what we will see on Sunday at Wembley.

So with that in mind, what are people's memories of those two days out in South Wales? Does anyone have any anecdotes from either trip? Any highlights?

Personally whilst both days were very special to me, I don't remember much of either match, especially the second one vs Wrexham. In fact I'd completely forggoten until a couple of days ago that that one went to extra time. Now I remember getting into an argument with the guys I was watching it with because they wanted to leave a couple of minutes before the end of extra time. I didn't want to leave, probably because I didn't think we'd ever be back on that stage again and didn't want to admit that it was over.

First final. The memory of driving down the M4 with so many cars, vans and coaches decked out. Remember pulling into services past Reading and seeing loads of coaches and fans milling about. In a way glad we lost as I had to speed back to Heathrow to fly out to Asia. Memorable day out though.

3 hrs there, 6 ****ing hrs back. :angry: Getting out of Cardiff was a nightmare.

2005 my old man sorted us out with a box which was a great experience. After the game i went down to the underground entrance to see the blues off and see if i could have a chat with a couple of the lads and i ended up meeting Sir Alex Fergerson who i must say had a lot of time for supporters of both sides and just came across as rather a nice chap. Then some suited chap no idea who he was came over to take Sir Alex back inside and for some reason he was holding the LDV vans trophy and he ended up letting me hold it for a few seconds. So i was really the only shrimper to hold that trophy in the 2005 final

Good weekends, but football wise.....forgetful. Walking to the Millennium Stadium on the morning of the first game from the hotel was blinking cold, but did wake me up!

Remember getting into the ground and thinking "we've finally made the big time" though that was all undone when we ballsed up the kick off and made ourselves instantly look rubbish.

2004 and seeing signs along the M4 saying - Southend United exit at Junction whatever. It felt like we had made the big time!

Blackpool was just amazing, a terrific weekend away, and it didn;t really matter that we lost because it felt like we had arrived.

Wrexham was gutting, I thought we were going to win it, and when Ugarte nodded them in front I felt absolutely deflated.

The actual games themselves, I remember very little. Maybe that was partly due to two lacklustre performances and maybe it was also due to the fact that I was in the midst of two Monster weekenders (Bristol first weekend then Newport the second).

What I do remember was the pride is seeing so many Blues 'fans' at both finals, the sea of Blue flags, scarves and shirts was amazing. I do not wear colours myself but I even donned a scarf for these occasions - the lasting memory was that of pride of my team and my town.....little Southend in the big time.

I think I felt more gutted after losing the second final as I treated the Blackpool match and occasion a special one off, or so I thought.

So despite awful performances football wise, I had immense pride with my town and club and had two absolute cracking weekends.

I just get the feeling that this one will be that little more special :winking:

P.S Although the LDV finals were great, that atmosphere and day for the Play off final was the greatest ever, when Juppy put us two up, we had a couple of minutes knowing we were almost there, amazing scenes after. We threw our scarves to the players and celebrated down the front.

The build up on the morning of the Blackpool final was great. Shrimpers everywhere and a great atmosphere.

However, once in the Millenium Stadium it was all a little disappointing for me. The roof being on completely killed the atmosphere and made it feel like the indoor league I had seen in the US. Nothing like a real football match. Then the team emerged looking unlike Southend United - in that bloody awful (IMO) silver kit. We play in blue! There was a muted feeling amongst the 22,000 Shrimpers and the team were poor.
I remember it being hugely disappointing.

As others have said, V Blackpool was all about getting there. Finally we'd got to a, erm, Final. Seeing all the cars & coaches decked out along the M4, was just brilliant. I wasn't really bothered about the result, and to be completely honest I'm not too bothered this time either. The best moment for me was the realisation we were finally going to watch our club at Wembley. Seeing the boys walk out in front of 30,000 cheering shrimpers will be as good as its going to get for me. would be nice if we scored a goal this time however..

Blackpool game, Mrs Ex-TTB got so emotional when the teams came out that she burst into tears and her contact lens came out. She had to watch the game with one eye shut looking at the big screens.

I remember that offside goal, clear as day, and also staying around after the final whistle for ages, watching Blackpool celebrate and get given the trophy. As a lot of people have said it was the occasion.

2nd time against Wrexham, left as soon as Ferguson scored the 2nd in the 119th minute. Totally gutted as we were 15 games unbeaten or something and losing just wasn't an option.

Drewe's white boots in the 1st game. NOOOOOOOOOOOO

The nightmare train journey's for the 2nd game. I think we went via Glasgow it seemed to take so long.

Craig Bellamy being a nob.

Can confirm that, out of his box at the bar of hotel right on the river opp stadium. Was drinking with the former boxer Joe Calehazie. A cab had to be called before he started a fight, total idiot.

as we walked back to the coaches after the blackpool defeat I was discussing how dissapointing the performance was and how that may have been our only chance to have that kind of day, my son (who is sixteen now so you do the math) looked up and said dont worry dad we will be back next year.........I looked down at him and said sorry son it doesnt work like that we will have to wait years for all this again.........hee hee the little devil was psychic.

Back