• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Lead Boot... - ShrimperZone decides

• Barrington Belgrave

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Drewe Broughton

• Neil Campbell

• Trevor Fitzpatrick

• Graeme Jones

• Tony Richards

• Mark Salter

• Danny Webb

• A.N. Other (please give full reasoning)

• Total voters

Matt the Shrimp

aka Harry Potter
We've all heard of the Golden Boot - that trophy awarded to the most prolific striker at the end of the season.  The heroically talented Mr. Eastwood has already bagged one for his personal trophy cabinet.

However, here at Shrimperzone, we're not happy unless we're moaning... and so I give you The Lead Boot.

This imaginary honour is to be bestowed on the striker whom, in recent years, you feel is the most inept, the most useless, the most donkey-like, the most appalling you've ever seen in the blue shirt of Southend.

In order to make it a "like-for-like" competition, I'm only going to pick those strikers who appeared for Southend during our spell in the bottom flight between 1998 and 2004.  I'm also being a bit judgemental and ruthless, in that I've left out certain strikers who, though bad (and even bad value for money), weren't talentless.  A classic case of that would be Barry Conlon - expensive, terrible value for money... but patently had talent.

I've also left out Tes.  Yes, his time here was deeply irritating.  I doubt I'll ever see a talent more unfulfilled in my entire time as a Shrimper.  If he had an ounce of get-up-and-go he'd be in the Championship, one suspects.  But he doesn't, so he's at Stockport... but even then, he's still not worthy of the Lead Boot.

So, who are the runners and riders in this particular rogues' gallery?  In alphabetical order:

Barrington Belgrave: All bustle and bravura from the former Pilgrim... although is he rightly, or unfairly, vilified for a below-par performance in (shock, horror) an Essex Senior Cup Game?

Drewe Broughton: Accused by Cousin Weir of "being so inept as to drag my beloved team to the verge of the Conference", yet to others a legend.

Neil Campbell: Looked and played like Quasimodo... but then there was that hattrick at Orient!

Trevor Fitzpatrick: Hung around for years with his black fringe doing now't... or a young poacher with a bright future, perhaps?

Graeme Jones : A "20-goal a season" man according to Buzz Lightyear... or a cantankerous has-been of differeing leg lengths to others.  But was Newman's billing a millstone?

Tony Richards: "Pony" Richards to many, and we shelled out hard-earned; but then a classy brace against Halifax lives long in the memory...

Mark Salter: The normally mild mannered Richard Coxell vented copious amounts of bile about the man from Frome Town... yet he scored against Orient - at the right end of the pitch.

Danny Webb: Elbows, aggression, and a burgeoning talent...?  Or was he only in the side because he was the gaffer's son?

I've left out those who were not here long enough truly to have registered on the Shrimper consciousness... although Dominic Foley's awfulness almost got him in.

And finally, I've included an Other... but there better be a jolly good explanation  and  he must have played for us between 1998 and 2004 - so it's a small window.

SZ... you decide: who gets the Lead Boot?!

biggrin.gif

Danny "Thar's ma boy" Webb. Possibly THE most overrated (by his father) player/striker to ever pull the Shrimpers coat of arms over his noggin. Would quite often run himself silly from the whistle for all of 15 minutes and then completely disappear from the game once all the blood had started to circulate throughout his body again.

Even Barrington "I'm posh ya know" Belgrave ran his socks off when he played even if it was completely wasted but Webb Jnr couldn't beat a Chipmonk to a hazelnut in a one on one. Complete waste of space.

You've missed off Neville Roach.

FWIW, I'd like to point out in mitigation that Danny Webb was 17 years old and Graeme Jones was over the hill. Campbell and Fitzpatrick were inexperienced and Belgrave and Salter were from non-league.

Drewe Broughton and Tony "the White Pele" Richards were on the other hand supposedly near the peak of their careers with enough league experience under their belt to be better.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Oct. 31 2006,17:38)]You've missed off Neville Roach.

FWIW, I'd like to point out in mitigation that blah blah blah...
I have to confess that I really don't remember him... although maybe that says a fair bit.

And what was it you said about changing the argument...?!

tounge.gif
laugh.gif

David Whyte
Miguel de Souza
Dominic Iawful
Dominic Foley
Barry Conlon

Too many to mention!

I go for Richards, followed by Conlon

"Pony" Richards has it for me.

Yes, he did score a brace in a game, but that was about it.

What sh!te he was!!

Drewe Donkey Broughton every minute of the day. I have never seen another player waste so many simple chances week after week after week - Steve Wignall should have sued him for costing him his job. What made it worse was the bizarre "emperors new clothes" fawning and lust that his presence inspired amongst SUFC youth. I swear those sweatbands were coated in some form of mind-bending substance which simultaneously polluted and perverted young minds into believeing that this *** could actually play.

Even the players will tell you that he's the worst they ever played with (and that IS from the horses mouths.) Pony had a bad run, Jones had previously been prolific so was at least a has-been, Broughton is on a lifelong bad run (a goals per game ratio of 0.2 says it all) and is quite clearly a "never-will-be"......

A worthy recipient of the inaugural "SZ Lead Boot Award" if ever I saw one.
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Bloke In The Pram Shop @ Nov. 02 2006,10:27)]Even the players will tell you that he's the worst they ever played with (and that IS from the horses mouths.)
I don't think Ben Smith played with Drewe

laugh.gif

It was a current player that told me that and his opinion was backed up by another current player. In Drewe's defence they did maintain that he was "a bloody good trier" and would always work extremely hard to improve in training....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Bloke In The Pram Shop @ Nov. 02 2006,10:58)]It was a current player that told me that and his opinion was backed up by another current player. In Drewe's defence they did maintain that he was "a bloody good trier" and would always work extremely hard to improve in training....
In fairness, a current player's father told me the same thing.

sad.gif

Back