• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southampton Shrimper

Team Eggheads
The League One table appears to be splitting into seven distinct groups at the moment. These are:

1. Likely champions - Leicester City 10 points ahead of the rest

2. Promotion chasers - MK Dons and our next opponents Scunthorpe

3. Three likely play-off contenders

4. The play-off chasing pack - from Leeds to Colchester

5. The top of the second half of the table pack - this is where we are right now

6. Three relegation-threatened teams

7. Three likely relegation candidates

Of course, things can change pretty quickly, but it certainly looks at the moment that the best we can hope for this season is to stay at the top of the second half of the table pack (which is actually 12th place). This is actually the largest and tightest of the 7 groups, so because results within the group generally went our way after our win yesterday enabling us to leap from 17th to 13th, defeat against Scunthorpe could send us back down to 18th place if other results went against us. There are seven teams separated by just three points in this group.

Obviously, teams can move between these groups with a particularly good or bad run - the two most recent movers being Yeovil, whose win at Roots Hall was the first of three consecutive victories to lift them away from the relegation contenders, and our next opponents Scunthorpe, whose four wins in their last five league games has seen them move from play-off contenders to serious challengers for the second automatic promotion slot.

Comparing the table with this time last season, the leaders at that time were also ten points ahead of the rest and went on to win the title (also by 10 points). Three of the bottom four at that time ended up getting relegated and the fourth relegated team, Gillingham, were only one point above the drop zone at the start of February. The only team from the play-off chasing pack to make into the play-offs was us. The team in 13th place at the start of February ended up in 8th place.

I'd take that right now.

think after the way this season he shaped out our best shot is finishing in the middle of the table. unfortunately i think i would take that right now.

Once we got relegated from the championship I said Id be happy to stay mid table/outside of play offs for a couple of seasons and build a proper team for the championship and hopefully get our new stadium

Once we got relegated from the championship I said Id be happy to stay mid table/outside of play offs for a couple of seasons and build a proper team for the championship and hopefully get our new stadium

I agree, i would love us to build a squad strong enough for the CCC but..... when we do get a good player at the club, it seems we can never keep them(Eastwood and Bailey ect).... we cant build a strong squad seeing as players just want to leave us!

think after the way this season he shaped out our best shot is finishing in the middle of the table. unfortunately i think i would take that right now.

Looking at the gap to the inbreds i think we'll do very well to get any higher than we are now.

Back