• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The little gazette reports..

wiggy

Darryl's Love Child
Knock Flavs, praise donkey Broughton the order of the day lately. Flahavon is well up to the standard of this division,however if any inroads are to be made next year then Broughton needs replacing. His control is comparible to sunday league stuff . Why does his face fit when he is no better than Graeme Jones. Connie, Dudders and one other next year but please not little gazette favourite Broughton!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ April 13 2004,00:14)]Why does his face fit when he is no better than Graeme Jones.
Seriously. Never, Ever say that again. There is no way the two players are even comaprable.

END OF!

Drewe set up 2 goals and his shot was blocked just before the 1st goal ...

Kev

cool.gif

I'd be inclined to suggest that Flahavan's command of his box and his dealing with dead ball situations are some way from 3rd Division standard, even if the rest of his game excels it. The likes of Northampton, Lincoln and Canvey would perhaps testify to that.

Found it interesting to note that Tilly went out of his way to give fullsome praise to Bristol Rovers' goalkeeper after our 1-1 draw there. I wouldn't be at all surprised if a summer bid went in for him. Quite right too. In my view, we need a new goalkeeper and full backs more than anything else in the squad for next season.

Didn't think Flavs had his best game today but imo a new goalkeeper isn't our number 1 priority. Can we do better? Of course we can, but if truth be told the same can be said of every single one of our players. Thats why they are in the third division.

If we can get someone significantly better for next season then I say we should do it, but otherwise I'd be more than happy to see Flavs still here next season.

As for Drewe.... I don't think he's good enough for where we want to be next year. You can't question his workrate and his commitment but imo if we are serious about going up next year then I don't think we can play the guys we had up front today. I've got a lot of time for Bramble and Broughton but I thought we won today despite them rather than because of them and Connie & Dudfield are better options.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ April 13 2004,02:01)]As for Drewe.... I don't think he's good enough for where we want to be next year. You can't question his workrate and his commitment but imo if we are serious about going up next year then I don't think we can play the guys we had up front today. I've got a lot of time for Bramble and Broughton but I thought we won today despite them rather than because of them and Connie & Dudfield are better options.
Sums it up perfectly for me. Don't forget Corbett either. He looked much better up front than on the wing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ April 13 2004,00:14)]please not little gazette favourite Broughton!
You couldn't be more wrong if you tried- I was defending Drewe to Rob Craven before the match yesterday.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ April 13 2004,10:01)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ April 13 2004,00:14)]please not little gazette favourite Broughton!
You couldn't be more wrong if you tried- I was defending Drewe to Rob Craven before the match yesterday.
Why would you do that?
tounge.gif
rock.gif
. And why was'nt Craven doing Newsround?
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BENFLEET BLUE! @ April 13 2004,10:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ April 13 2004,10:01)]
[b said:
Why would you do that?
tounge.gif

rock.gif
. And why was'nt Craven doing Newsround?
rock.gif
I'll report games as I see them. If a player gives 100% for 90 minutes then I think he deserves much more praise than a goalkeeper who had a mediocre game at best. Looking back I may have been a bit harsh on Flavs for the bobble, but other than that, any criticism I gave to him was fair in my opinion. If we want to go up, then I think we at least need someone to challenge him.

However, having said that, I do believe that he has improved incredibly since the end of last season, when I though that he should be the first name on Wignall's out list. I certainly don't want to see him leave Roots Hall in the summer, as he will be the best second-choice shotstopper in the division at the least.

As for Broughton, I don't think anyone can really criticise him for his role since the turn of the year. In that time he has scored seven goals and set up numerous others, despite missing his quota of chances. But given a straight choice between him and Bramble, I'm astounded that anyone would choose the latter.

IMHO Dudfield and Broughton offer the best partnership (that being the key word) for next season, with Constantine unfortunately, despite his goals, offering little else. If Connie keeps scoring, then he has to stay in, and one of the others has to miss out. Without his goals, then we would have been relegated this season, no question. But I doubt that he will reproduce next season. That is a personal opinion.

That said, if we have Dudfield, Broughton, Constantine and Corbett as back up next season then I believe we have enough ammunition to get into the play-offs at the very least. Keep the bulk of the rest of the squad and it would be looking very rosy indeed.

Rob

P.S. My mandate for TLG in terms of reporting is to report on a game as I see it. Hence I give ratings in a relative manner - Bentley's 10 yesterday was a reflection of his driving performance when others weren't fussed - had I been doing the 'official' report then it would not have been as high. Broughton was 7 and Flahavan 5 - there's not a great deal of difference there really.

P.P.S. Flahavan is well on the way to being TLG's Player-of-the-Season in terms of average rating gleaned. I hardly think that you can say that we are always slating him!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Exiled Shrimper @ April 13 2004,11:06)]I'll report games as I see them.
Surely, given the "Craven curtains" of hair in the early part of the season, that means that we should ignore all of your reports in 2003.  After all, you can't have seen much at all...!

tounge.gif

laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Exiled Shrimper @ April 13 2004,11:06)]IMHO Dudfield and Broughton offer the best partnership (that being the key word) for next season, with Constantine unfortunately, despite his goals, offering little else. If Connie keeps scoring, then he has to stay in, and one of the others has to miss out
With the greatest of respect to my learned friend... erm, you're wrong.  We have been crying out, for years, for the mythical "20 goal-a-season" striker.

We have now found one.

What we should absolutely not do is leave him on the bench.  A space must be found for him in the side, somehow.  And that space, IMHO, is Broughton-shaped...  Drewe was utterly woeful on Saturday (albeit, alas, that I agree in your assessment that he was better than Bramble).

rock.gif

cool.gif

Matt

I will not have a word said against TLG.

This message began at 11.40 and 37 seconds and ended at 11.43 and 22 seconds and included 9 words, the longest being seven letters long the shortest being one letter long. The average letters per word being 3.33. I thank you!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ April 13 2004,11:36)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Exiled Shrimper @ April 13 2004,11:06)]IMHO Dudfield and Broughton offer the best partnership (that being the key word) for next season, with Constantine unfortunately, despite his goals, offering little else. If Connie keeps scoring, then he has to stay in, and one of the others has to miss out
With the greatest of respect to my learned friend... erm, you're wrong.  We have been crying out, for years, for the mythical "20 goal-a-season" striker.

We have now found one.

What we should absolutely not do is leave him on the bench.  A space must be found for him in the side, somehow.  And that space, IMHO, is Broughton-shaped...
Matt, you are missing my key word - partnership. As a pairing, I feel that we are most likely to score when Brpughton and Dudfield play togther up front, rather than Constantine, even taking into account all of his goals. If Constantine works with Broughton over the summer, then I can see that working, but with Constantine and Dudfield up front I don't that there is enough variety in the forward department.

I don't want to leave Constantine out of the starting eleven, and as I said, if he keeps on scoring, then there is no way that he shoudl be kept out. It's just I believe the other option (Dudfield) is the better one next season.

And I'll buy you a pint if Constantine bags 20 again next year!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Exiled Shrimper @ April 13 2004,12:52)]And I'll buy you a pint if Constantine bags 20 again next year!
MtS, looks like there's an escape clause Rob may be leaving open for later exploitation.

Hhhhhmmmmm.... where can it be?

Oh, found it.

20 in all comps... or just league, Rob?

P.S.

The way I see it... IMHO... Bramble would be the first striker on my list to release.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Exiled Shrimper @ April 13 2004,11:52)]And I'll buy you a pint if Constantine bags 20 again next year!
Well, he won't if you've got anything to do with it...

tounge.gif
sad.gif

How about Connie wide-right, then - where he's been most of this year? Partnerships are all well and good - but you simply can't leave someone like Connie out of the side, IMHO.

rock.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ April 13 2004,12:03)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Exiled Shrimper @ April 13 2004,12:52)]And I'll buy you a pint if Constantine bags 20 again next year!
MtS, looks like there's an escape clause Rob may be leaving open for later exploitation.

Hhhhhmmmmm.... where can it be?

Oh, found it.

20 in all comps... or just league, Rob?
The word again denotes all competitions OS - Leon's only got 19 in the League thus far!
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ April 13 2004,12:03)][IMHO... Bramble would be the first striker on my list to release.
Agreed.

Matt

P.S. Happy for the mark to be 20 in the league. It's the only true reflection of how well a striker is doing; and it's the only measure of whether we're likely to be at the business end of the table come May 2005.

And, on that measure, it's worth remembering that Drewe's league tally is a risible, pathetic... 2.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ April 13 2004,12:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Exiled Shrimper @ April 13 2004,11:52)]And I'll buy you a pint if Constantine bags 20 again next year!
Well, he won't if you've got anything to do with it...

tounge.gif

sad.gif

How about Connie wide-right, then - where he's been most of this year?  Partnerships are all well and good - but you simply can't leave someone like Connie out of the side, IMHO.

rock.gif

Matt
I don't like Constantine wide right, even though he's netted quite a few from out there. He offers even less on the flank than he does down the middle. And besides, with players of the calibre of Gower and Pettefer (who, baring any new signings woudl start wide for me next season if I were gaffer) and Corbett and Kightly who can fill in for them, I don't think that there would be room there.

Don't get me wrong; I am grateful for everything Constantine has done for us this season, but unless he continues to find the back of the net, I don't think there's a place in the side, whereas if Drewe isn't scoring his all-round play gets him in there. Dudfield I'm yet to form an opinion on in that respect, but an initial instinct is that he will create bucket loads with his off-the-ball running and by taking defenders away.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ April 13 2004,12:08)]P.S. Happy for the mark to be 20 in the league.  It's the only true reflection of how well a striker is doing; and it's the only measure of whether we're likely to be at the business end of the table come May 2005.

And, on that measure, it's worth remembering that Drewe's league tally is a risible, pathetic... 2.
I'm spoiling for a fight here today - but without Drewe we wouldn't have had such a wonderful day/weekend out in Cardiff. That's gotta count for something? And I think that now he has broken his Roots Hall duck we will see much more out of him (otherwise I'm gonna get burned on the stake!!!).

You cannot dismiss a 20 goal plus striker with "despite his goals" etc. Without him, and particularly his ability to score from 12 yards, we would be conference bound. Goals are quite important for a striker aren't they?

I admit he is an unlikely looking goalscorer but who gives a **** and perhaps if he wasn't stuck out on the wing he would have bagged a few more.

Back