• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The little gazette reports..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Exiled Shrimper @ April 13 2004,12:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ April 13 2004,12:24)]I presume you were at Huddersfield on Saturday.  If so, pray tell me what "all-round play" Drewe exhibited.  He was woeful, frankly - redolent of Graeme Jones in his "pomp"...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Exiled Shrimper @ April 13 2004,12:09)]Dudfield I'm yet to form an opinion on in that respect, but an initial instinct is that he will create bucket loads with his off-the-ball running and by taking defenders away.
Exactly.  Bearing in mind that we don't really have a decent crosser from the flanks in the entire squad bar Nicolau, why don't we play to our strengths?

We have buckets of pace, movement, and passing ability in the squad - including Connie, who worked tirelessly on Saturday yet who, all too often, found no-one working off him, because Drewe was off grazing elsewhere on the McAlpine turf.  Why not create opportunities through movement and pace, rather than trying (and invariably failing) to cross to a large ineffectual lump?

rock.gif

sad.gif

It has to be Dudders and Connie up front for me.  I don't know why we pretend that we need a "PBB" up front where all too often he offers nothing but sweat (admirable, but ultimately not match-winning) and which suggests that we should play a style (knocking it long) which in fact is not one that our squad is adept at - being mostly small, fast, and good with the ball at their feet?

Don't get me wrong.  I shall be eternally grateful to Drewe for getting us to Cardiff - his goal against the Scum at Roots Hall will be one of the most wonderful sepia-tinted moments of my SUFC supporting career.

But on too many occasions in the League when Drewe has been up front for us, he has not been the sort of player who has used his size and strength to carve open defences and lay opportunities on a plate for a partner in the way that (say) Ian Benjamin did for us.  Instead, Drewe has just looked like a large lumbering lump.

However, that's only my view - and I recognise that, having seen only a fraction of the number of games you've seen this season, my view may well be wrong or lop-sided.  If so, I look forward to seeing the positive critique of Mr. Broughton, and what he brings to SUFC...

Matt
Well he managed to keep the March Player of the Month away from the action for 95% of the ninety minutes. Drewe went up there and was a bl**dy nuisance to Huddersfield, and that's why their boss Peter Jackson is reputed to have said that we were one of the best teams to have played at the McAlpine this year. It is a team effort.

That said, he didn't get any efforts away on goal. But by the same token Matt, if you are singling out one match, what did Constantine do against the Terriers? He was anonymnous for large chunks of the game and was pittiful out of position on the right (although why he had to go out there and Tes up front I'll never know).

I think we can do well against the lesser teams in Division Three with Connie and Dudders up front - your Bostons, Kidderminsters, Maclesfields. But when there's some effective defending required, you need your Professional Big Bloke there to cause havoc - to take people's attention away from Dudfield or Constantine. And there are very few in Division Three better than Broughton at that.
ES,

Would you agree that we change our style of play far too much when Drewe is in the side? If the 1st half proved anything yesterday it was that if we ran at them they couldn't handle it and were resorted to kicking lumps out of us (Tes for example). We created far more in the 2nd half by playing the ball on the deck and running at them, indeed all 3 goals came from runs at thier defence.

I just think that we are a better side when we play the ball on the deck and in that situation Drewe comes a distant 4th behind Connie, dudders and Tes.

PS - FWIW Tes wasn't as bad as everyone made out yesterday, he just got no protection from the ref at all.

PPS (and I expect to get crucified for this). I don't think Conlon dived yesterday, however I also don't think that Conlon thought it was a penalty either. The ref gave it and Conlon wasn't going to disagree with him. Can't see too many of our forwards doing anything different if the roles were reversed
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BILLERICAY BLUE @ April 13 2004,13:29)]Would you agree that we change our style of play far too much when Drewe is in the side? .................I just think that we are a better side when we play the ball on the deck and in that situation Drewe comes a distant 4th behind Connie, dudders and Tes.
BB.  ES might not but I certainly do.

Our performance at Boston the other week without Drewe was top rate.  Yes they were carp but some of the passing & movement we had that night were top notch (for this level).  With Drewe in the team I feel that far too much we  just look to punt the ball forward in hope, without looking at options.

However, some people say that you can't get out of this divison playing football on the deck.  
rock.gif
 But I'd like to see us try!

I have to totally disagree with ES. Im sorry but do you watch the match with your eyes closed?
I have also noticed that the whole team revolves around drewe. Who IMO is a right pilock who cant hold the ball every time one of his team members passes the ball to him he looses it. I mean it has come to the point where when he gets the i just dont get excited because i know he isnt going the do anything with it. Where as with constantine now everyone has a reason to be on the edge of their seats beacause most of the time he does something with it.
There has been too many occasions when leon has been wide open and no one has been bothered to pass the ball to him, instead they pass it to the donkey! I mean what do expect leon to do when he is being played out of his normal postion. At the end of the day leon has done what he has supposed to be do and that is to score goals 19 to be exact and im sure if hes played up front in the next couple of games he'll bag another one to make it 20 and even if he doesnt he has still got 23 goals in the bag! open your eyes people he is in second place for top goal scorers overall and third in the league. When was the last time we had a striker who could do that.
If all drewe can do is create gaols then maybe he should be a midfielder because he sure as hell stinks as a striker.

Think about leon has won the club at leat 19.25 points where would we be without them?

I know the conference!!
I heard it isnt very nice down there
tounge.gif

Ps craven what do you have against leon? we needed a striker we got one who actually scores goals! so what the problem.

Oh yeah how many points has drewe got us? he may create but if there is no one to turn them into gaols (leon) then we are focked.

Do you get my drift?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ April 13 2004,18:37)]Do you get my drift?
Yes, you're answering the poster instead of the post, using pureile insults and won't listen to oher people's point of view. That's your drift
wink.gif

Mmhhh, some goods points and some things i dont agree with. But mostly happy with the fact that you made more spelling mistakes than i do!
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ April 13 2004,00:14)]Knock Flavs, praise donkey Broughton the order of the day lately. Flahavon is well up to the standard of this division,however if any inroads are to be made next year then Broughton needs replacing. His control is comparible to sunday league stuff . Why does his face fit when he is no better than Graeme Jones. Connie, Dudders and one other next year but please not little gazette favourite Broughton!
I agree some of the reports on TLG have been awful lately. Some of their ratings are an absoloute joke. They absoloutely love Broughton for some reason and are always having a go at the ref. I showed their report on Saturday to a Huddersfield fan I know and they were ****ing themselves with laughter at it.

Although I think you're going a bit too far comparing Broughton to Jones, Drewe is a lot better. Although as we've been saying, our style of play changes with him and we just hoof it up to him, especially Darryl and Leon(Cort).

Oh and Billericay Blue, Tes was rubbish yesterday. Protection from the referee? Clarke was just having some good argy bargy, nothing illegal and its Tes' fault for not been able to stay on his feet for more than 3 seconds!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hooly @ April 13 2004,13:39)]However, some people say that you can't get out of this divison playing football on the deck.  
rock.gif
Blackpool are one particularly good proof that it can be done.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BILLERICAY BLUE @ April 13 2004,13:29)]PS - FWIW Tes wasn't as bad as everyone made out yesterday, he just got no protection from the ref at all.
No way. Tes is one of the best players we have had at winning free kicks. None of the fouls were much more than a brush but because the other guy was huge, Tes went down under anything. Reminds me a bit of Heskey.

Not criticising this because it's not diving, it's just drawing a foul then going down under it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper Zoo @ April 13 2004,01:33)]I'd be inclined to suggest that Flahavan's command of his box and his dealing with dead ball situations are some way from 3rd Division standard, even if the rest of his game excels it.  The likes of Northampton, Lincoln and Canvey would perhaps testify to that.
Agreed. Flahavan may be a decent shot-stopper but his positioning is often woefully short of the high standard he, and some others, expect him to attain. Much like Mel Capleton, who could save powerful shots all day but could never deal with crosses or corners ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpboy @ April 13 2004,20:23)]I agree some of the reports on TLG have been awful lately. Some of their ratings are an absoloute joke. They absoloutely love Broughton for some reason and are always having a go at the ref. I showed their report on Saturday to a Huddersfield fan I know and they were ****ing themselves with laughter at it.
I await with interest to take a look at YOUR website, young man ...

WS

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ April 13 2004,18:37)]I have to totally disagree with ES. Im sorry but do you watch the match with your eyes closed?
I have also noticed that the whole team revolves around drewe. Who IMO is a right pilock who cant hold the ball every time one of his team members passes the ball to him he looses it. I mean it has come to the point where when he gets the i just dont get excited because i know he isnt going the do anything with it. Where as with constantine now everyone has a reason to be on the edge of their seats beacause most of the time he does something with it.
There has been too many occasions when leon has been wide open and no one has been bothered to pass the ball to him, instead they pass it to the donkey! I mean what do expect leon to do when he is being played out of his normal postion. At the end of the day leon has done what he has supposed to be do and that is to score goals 19 to be exact and im sure if hes played up front in the next couple of games he'll bag another one to make it 20 and even if he doesnt he has still got 23 goals in the bag! open your eyes people he is in second place for top goal scorers overall and third in the league. When was the last time we had a striker who could do that.  
If all drewe can do is create gaols then maybe he should be a midfielder because he sure as hell stinks as a striker.

Think about leon has won the club at leat 19.25 points where would we be without them?

I know the conference!!
I heard it isnt very nice down there
tounge.gif

Ps craven what do you have against leon? we needed a striker we got one who actually scores goals! so what the problem.

Oh yeah how many points has drewe got us? he may create but if there is no one to turn them into gaols (leon) then we are focked.

Do you get my drift?
Oh yes, that famous quarter of a point that is going to save us from going down to the Conference!
tounge.gif

Right, if you read through my posts I have not slated Leon. I have said that I think that he has done very well this season and without him we would probably be down. We have waited for a twenty-goal-a-season striker for ages, and now we do have one. That's good. But what I also think is good is that we have other strikers that could play in his place.

As I have maintained through this thread, looking forward to next season, I don't believe that Leon has the technique to continue bagging as many goals as he has this time around. And that is when Drewe and Dudfield, who I believe are a better partnership (even if individually they may not have scored as many goals as Leon this season), come into their own.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hooly @ April 13 2004,13:39)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BILLERICAY BLUE @ April 13 2004,13:29)]Would you agree that we change our style of play far too much when Drewe is in the side? .................I just think that we are a better side when we play the ball on the deck and in that situation Drewe comes a distant 4th behind Connie, dudders and Tes.
BB.  ES might not but I certainly do.

Our performance at Boston the other week without Drewe was top rate.  Yes they were carp but some of the passing & movement we had that night were top notch (for this level).  With Drewe in the team I feel that far too much we  just look to punt the ball forward in hope, without looking at options.

However, some people say that you can't get out of this divison playing football on the deck.  
rock.gif
Actually, I do agree that we change our style a bit when Drewe is up there, and that we shouldn't just lump it up to him. But it's not his fault that the rest of the team are playing like that. He was still there second half when we passed it around more, and he was much more effective as well in the second 45 minutes. So if we play sweeping football with Drewe, he might actually score a few more goals.

He is a better player inside the box than outside of it. He will score goals off his a*se, rebounding off his shoulder, etc., when he causes a problem for defenders in the six-yard box. When he has more time to think about it - i.e. when he is given a ball to run onto and tuck past the keeper - he fails 99% of the time. That's the sort of finish that Constantine, Dudfield, Corbett and even Bramble are better at.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpboy @ April 13 2004,20:23)]...I agree some of the reports on TLG have been awful lately. Some of their ratings are an absoloute joke. They absoloutely love Broughton for some reason and are always having a go at the ref. I showed their report on Saturday to a Huddersfield fan I know and they were ****ing themselves with laughter at it...
Come on then Shrimpboy, have a go. We're giving fans a chance to express their views on Southend - FM has had a go and I have to say that I've been impressed by what he's come up with. As yet we haven't received anything from you. I wonder why...

And if you email us personally with your problems, we can address your gripes - get your mate from Huddersfield to do likewise. We can only report the game as we see it - I would guess a Terriers fan was laughing through embarassment at just how fortunate his side were in the second half.

We are constantly trying to be constructive - suggesting ways that people like Bramble (a little more work effort) and Flahavan (communication), even Broughton can improve rather than the mindless cr&p that you see levelled against the likes of Emberson on here.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Exiled Shrimper @ April 14 2004,09:46)]Come on then Shrimpboy, have a go.
Huddersfield 1 Southend 0

Ratings
Flav  brilliant sign him up on ten year contract before he goes and signs for Brighton again
Jupp rubbish, properly the worse player ever seen at Rots Hall
Wilson  absolute rubbish  
mad.gif

Warren absoulte brilliant as he clapped fans at end accordnig to my mate who actually went
Cort brilliant but played absolutely rubbish
Gower brilliant but crossing rubbish and hes rubbish as he wont pass
Maher so rubbish was suspended. brilliant player
Bentley rubbish definitely worse player ever to play
Drewe rubbish
mad.gif

Constantine brilliant tilly should sign him for 14 years oh no  tilly can't as hasn't job
mad.gif

subs
Emberson  
mad.gif
was too fat to fit on bench. hes rubbish. worse player Ive ever seen played absolute rubbish even tho didnt come on
Jenkins should be in team hes rubbish
Bramble absolute rubbish  never ran once whilst warming up didnt clap my mate at end either
mad.gif

Richard Young absolute brilliant should have def started or come on as sub or not played
mark Rawle brilliant should ahve shot should be shot

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ April 14 2004,10:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Exiled Shrimper @ April 14 2004,09:46)]Come on then Shrimpboy, have a go.

Ratings
Flav  brilliant sign him up on ten year contract before he goes and signs for Brighton again
Wilson  absolute rubbish  
mad.gif

Warren absoulte brilliant as he clapped fans at end accordnig to my mate who actually went
Drewe rubbish
mad.gif

Constantine brilliant tilly should sign him for 14 years oh no  tilly can't as hasn't job
mad.gif

subs
Emberson  
mad.gif
was too fat to fit on bench. hes rubbish. worse player Ive ever seen played absolute rubbish even tho didnt come on
Bramble absolute rubbish  never ran once whilst warming up didnt clap my mate at end either
mad.gif

Richard Young absolute brilliant should have def started or come on as sub or not played
Brilliant.

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Exiled Shrimper @ April 14 2004,09:42)]When he has more time to think about it - i.e. when he is given a ball to run onto and tuck past the keeper - he fails 99% of the time.
Except for the one against Col U at home that took us to Cardiff.

smile.gif

Personally I think we should be grateful we have a few strikers who can play to their different strengths.

[b said:

Ratings
Flav brilliant sign him up on ten year contract before he goes and signs for Brighton again
Wilson absolute rubbish
mad.gif

etc. etc.
Brilliant, and uncannily accurate as well...

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
[b said:

Ratings
Wilson  absolute rubbish  
mad.gif

Drewe rubbish
mad.gif

mad.gif

subs
Emberson  
mad.gif
mad.gif

Post of the year so far, by a long, long way.

Tears rolling down my face

tounge.gif
tounge.gif

[b said:
[b said:

Ratings
Wilson  absolute rubbish  
mad.gif

Drewe rubbish
mad.gif

mad.gif

subs
Emberson  
mad.gif
mad.gif

bit harsh
tounge.gif

Back