• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The London Marathon - Looking back

Have you run the London Marathon and would you do it again?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
This year the Marathon is 40 years old and there are some on here that were not yet born when it first started. This Southend team were ripping up Division 4 and my youngest was only two. I now feel very old, but I remember that team like it was yesterday.

80-81.png

So , the point of this thread, 40 years on, how many Zoners have actually run the Marathon, and if you have, what was it like? Additionally, do you know of any Zoners, no longer on the Zone that made the distance?

Run it 3 times, first year was best, 2001? Each year, time after it got more crowded, more charity runners, more congested, less knowing runners and less enjoyable especially compared to other marathons such as Loch Ness.
I am in favour of inclusivity etc on 5k and 10k runs BUT no athlete, unless with a disability should be doing anything g over 5 hours.
1st year I ran it in someone else name as they had had a cycle accident on the Thursday before, so 3 days prep and I clocked 3 hours 32 as a Vet 40 but still not good enough to get a guarantee place for the next year! The timings had been moved to sub 3.15 for that year.
Incidentally my Garmin's distances always showed over 27 miles run because of the need to move sideways and across the road to get past people.

Like Massimo, i've run it 3 times, 87, 88 & 89. Best time i did there was 3hrs 19 mins, 12 mins outside my Marathon best time, set in Harlow in both 85 & 86 ( before it was the size it is today).
Personally i found it hard to concentrate because of all the noise going on, everyone to their own i guess?.
I preferred running Marathons at Harlow, Worthing, Canvey ( 3 1/2 times round the Island ) & Southend, all twice. Obviously back then there was no superstores around, shops didn't open on a sunday, & the roads were virtually traffic free.

This year the Marathon is 40 years old and there are some on here that were not yet born when it first started. This Southend team were ripping up Division 4 and my youngest was only two. I now feel very old, but I remember that team like it was yesterday.

80-81.png

So , the point of this thread, 40 years on, how many Zoners have actually run the Marathon, and if you have, what was it like? Additionally, do you know of any Zoners, no longer on the Zone that made the distance?

Point of order Roots....Your a year early to celebrate the ruby anniversary of that wonderful season....exactly 40 years ago we were in fact 2nd from bottom Div 4....We went down but will history repeat it self and we bounce back as champions.

I only remember that because on Saturday we were talking about the legendary title decider v Lincoln at RH in April 81

I take my hat off to anyone who has a run a marathon (without Jeffing of course) in any time. I'd love to do it, but I took to running late (45) and a half is about my limit.

I take my hat off to anyone who has a run a marathon (without Jeffing of course) in any time. I'd love to do it, but I took to running late (45) and a half is about my limit.

Last 1/2 i ran was Southend in 2014, a month before my 57th birthday. I did that on the spur of the moment, to raise funds for Lynch Syndrome, which a lovely lady (37) i worked with suffered from.
I raised over £500 for the Lynch Foundation, but to be perfectly honest, half way round i regretted my decision to do it!. I only had a months training beforehand, & although i still go running 4 times per week, the longest distance i covered was 7 miles.
Back in my 'hey day' ( mid 80's) my best 2 times for 1/2 Marathons were 79 & 81 mins.
It took me 2 /12 hrs FFS!, but i still did it & got a lovely long kiss after from the lady i did it for ( but alas nothing more! ).
I decided there & then, that was enough long distance runs for me!.

Point of order Roots....Your a year early to celebrate the ruby anniversary of that wonderful season....exactly 40 years ago we were in fact 2nd from bottom Div 4....We went down but will history repeat it self and we bounce back as champions.

I only remember that because on Saturday we were talking about the legendary title decider v Lincoln at RH in April 81
The first London Marathon ws 29 March 1981 so this year's event will be the 40th. I think that co-incides with the D4 Championship run, or am I talking out of my arse? (it does happen, often:Winking:).

The first London Marathon ws 29 March 1981 so this year's event will be the 40th. I think that co-incides with the D4 Championship run, or am I talking out of my arse? (it does happen, often:Winking:).

I guess the confusion is your counting marathons and I'm counting football seasons. So we are both right.

Had an entry for 88 but got injured in February , so used the next year to prepare, aimed at 3.30 , but had a shocker on the day and ran just over 4 hours.

Still just over 9 min miles, decent result. I agree with Massimos post, that if you take over 5 hrs then when people say they 'ran' it technically that's not true. Full credit to everyone who completes it, but to be a regular runner you'd expect to finish within 4 hrs?.
I've had a few nightmares, Southend Marathon 84, hottest day of the year, & i sweat walking up the stairs!. I'd planned for 3 1/4 hrs, lost 10lb in sweat that day, finished 3hr 43 min, my worse Marathon time ever.
That evening i drank 5 pints of water, 3 cups of tea & a pint of beer. I had 1 pee!!.
6 weeks later did 3hr 22min in Basildon Marathon on a cooler day!!.

Still just over 9 min miles, decent result. I agree with Massimos post, that if you take over 5 hrs then when people say they 'ran' it technically that's not true. Full credit to everyone who completes it, but to be a regular runner you'd expect to finish within 4 hrs?.

Lol. No chance. I clocked just under 1000 miles last year so am a regular runner. On a good day, I'll do a sub 2 hour 1/2 marathon, but that's pushing it and the conditions need to be right. There is absolutely no chance I could do a 4 hour marathon and I'd consider that an unreasonable target. If I were to ever do one, I'd be aiming to do it inside 4:45. (which is what my mate did London in in 2018).

Then again, I started running three and a bit years ago, and I am 52 next week. I have learned that is not about the time, its actually about getting out there and doing it - be that a parkrun or an ultra. Time doesn't really matter.

Started to get into running four or five years ago and then the back went three years ago. Haven’t run or played badminton since.
Cleaned the oven the other day and didn’t think I’d ever move again!
Friend of mine is heavily into running and has done more than one London marathon, I think he’s trying for the New York marathon, November I think.

Rubbish Supernaut your a young pup still, I’m over 60 and running . Started running when I was 55 not been able to get into London marathon as in ballot but who knows and I agree should be a cut off time, ****es me off seeing extra large people walking the LM after two miles and making no effort to try, at least train for it

Anyone thinking of trying running NHS couch to 10 k is brilliant and then 10 k to marathon well worth a down load
The first for those who haven’t run before or want to get back slowly

Here's a giggle - at a former workplace we had a marathon entrant. Following Monday one of the girls came into the lab and said (Jim did his marathon - "4 mintes 20!" Um....you sure?!

Back