• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I see that the promoted teams this season scored around 72 goals on average (Southend scored more with 77 - and that includes a massive 41 away from home).

So, if you have two good strikers getting 14 each along with other another couple of strikers scoring 5 each that gives you 38 to start with.

With players like Hall, Martin, Timlin, Grant, Kane, Leonard and Moshni scoring another 22 goals ........... and then the defence weighing in with a dozen ........... you find that you have reached 72.

So I'm not sure that Southend (or any other team) needs a 20+ goal scorer to gain promotion - if you have a squad that includes people that can score goals throughout the team.

Perhaps our biggest weakness last season was our home form ......... and letting in late goals that cost us points.

Is it true that a 20+ a season man isn't necessarily required for promotion in this league but I think it certainly helps. If you score goals throughout the side then you can make up for having a striker who may only get 10 himself. However I feel that it does put pressure on other players to make up for this shortfall.

Also I think players like Timlin, Gilbert Prosser etc will chip in with goals but probably more often than not when the side as a whole is playing quite well. Where having that deadly striker comes in handy is in those games where the rest of the side hasn't really turned up but have defended well enough for a draw. Then Mr 20 A Season bundles one in in the 89th minute and turns 1 point into 3.

Also I think players like Timlin, Gilbert Prosser etc will chip in with goals

Timlin i agree with, but Gilbert and Prosser had only scored 1 each in their careers prior to joining us .. i wouldn't be at all surprised if neither scored at all next season

But we did not get promotion

Yes - I think that fact has sunk in. And at the risk of repeating myself, the 3 teams above did - and they only scored around 72 goals.

As I said above ......

"Perhaps our biggest weakness last season was our home form ......... and letting in late goals that cost us points."

Two goals in five starts equals a fraction under 20 goals in a full league season.

Add to that the fact that he clearly wasn't match fit and also had a knee that was dodgy enough to require surgery as soon as the season ended. Freddy himself admitted that he hadn't been able to do anywhere near as much as he wanted during his loan for this reason.

For me a fully-fit Eastwood would guarantee 20 goals in L2.

Add to that the fact that he clearly wasn't match fit and also had a knee that was dodgy enough to require surgery as soon as the season ended. Freddy himself admitted that he hadn't been able to do anywhere near as much as he wanted during his loan for this reason.

For me a fully-fit Eastwood would guarantee 20 goals in L2.

So we got him on loan for bums on seats rather than his football. I'd rather have had a fit player on loan and got promotion.

Interesting no-one in the league got 20 goals this season, none of the 3 promoted teams had that illusive '20 goals a season marksman', yet it was still one of the highest in terms of points tally for years.

Just goes to show its not needed. As others have said though, I'd be very, very surprised if Eastwood signed and didn't hit 20.

As a side note: I'd expect Harris to notch 15 and a fit Barry Corr 12-15 over 46 games, which would be a good combination.

Interesting no-one in the league got 20 goals this season, none of the 3 promoted teams had that illusive '20 goals a season marksman', yet it was still one of the highest in terms of points tally for years.

Just goes to show its not needed. As others have said though, I'd be very, very surprised if Eastwood signed and didn't hit 20.

As a side note: I'd expect Harris to notch 15 and a fit Barry Corr 12-15 over 46 games, which would be a good combination.

Harris didn't score that many this season though and next year he will be a year older. I think he's a great player to have in the squad but not sure if he should start home and away every game.

Harris didn't score that many this season though and next year he will be a year older. I think he's a great player to have in the squad but not sure if he should start home and away every game.
True, and you're right that he probably won't play too much so maybe 15 goals is an over estimate, but I can see 12+ despite being a year older.

I didn't think Harris and Dickinson, or Blair for that matter, complemented each other though. Harris and Freddy seemed to be on the same wavelength within a few minutes of being on the pitch together for the first time. As long as we're getting goals from a pretty good number of the team then I don't see the need for a 20+ a season man, although, of course, I'd love Freddy to be here!

i think will c harris createing goals wiv his movment rather than scorein them

No **** Sherlock :raspberry:

Elementary, Dr Witless.
pardonnewaug2010.gif

As long as we're getting goals from a pretty good number of the team then I don't see the need for a 20+ a season man.

Indeed - it helps (as said by Saafender) but it is not a pre-requisite for promotion.

If that is the case, then we have most of the strike force and midfield to deliver the goal target but we need a stronger defence and keeper combination ...........

.......... so if I was listening in on conversations between Ron Martin and Sturrock about the budget and playing staff required, I would expect there to be more emphasis on the back-line rather than blowing the budget on a highly paid striker.

Of course, it would be best to have both the top class striker and a solid defence ......... :omg:

Last edited:
Back