• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Mark Rawle Debate

The Mark Rawle Debate - Would you have him back?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
A bit more honesty from some of us wouldn't go amiss. The choice: A professional footballer with no ties to Southend playing for a third division club heavily in debt, slashing its wage bill with no obvious chance, at that time, of changing fortunes either on or off the field. Or, a club riding high with a fantastic new ground and a chairman willing to throw a bit of money around. Say what you like about the disgraceful way he left but these are footballers (and agents) we are talking about and I can understand their greed and selfishness.

It looks like I'm in a minority though. His hardest job would be to win over the fans. There could be a bit of a Mark Beard factor here. I'd be happy for him to come back on a short term contract and show us that not only has he got ability but he also has the right attitude.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper Zoo @ April 18 2004,17:53)]I think Yeovil fans might say the same thing about Lawrie Dudfield.  Although him reneging on his word seems to have been forgotten amongst Shrimpers fans seeing as we were the beneficiares this time .....  
wink.gif
Not true, all the comments from Yeovil seemed to be from his agent!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ April 19 2004,09:43)]A bit more honesty from some of us wouldn't go amiss. The choice: A professional footballer with no ties to Southend playing for a third division club heavily in debt, slashing its wage bill with no obvious chance, at that time, of changing fortunes either on or off the field. Or, a club riding high with a fantastic new ground and a chairman willing to throw a bit of money around.  Say what you like about the disgraceful way he left but these are footballers (and agents) we are talking about and I can understand their greed and selfishness.

It looks like I'm in a minority though. His hardest job would be to win over the fans. There could be a bit of a Mark Beard factor here. I'd be happy for him to come back on a short term contract and show us that not only has he got ability but he also has the right attitude.
Well said ORM!

A few of the younger members of SZ are much too quick to criticise without personal life experience!

Anyone who has a decent "Carrot" dangled in front of them would take the better opportunity, if it came their way.

It's called looking after number one and should be everyones philosphy when it comes to work ethics!

Loyalty get you nothing in life as far as an employee is concerned! (Yes, this is said with a personal experience on my mind!)

My beef with Rawle is not about him looking after number one, it's about him going back on his word. He said that he would re-sign for us; and yet, 24 hours later, he was on his way to Oxford.

Well, he's made his bed - so he can now lie in it. Besides, why should we have him back? If it's a choice between Leon Constantine or Rawle, that's a choice that takes about a nano second to ponder - Connie every time.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Prophet of Doom! @ April 19 2004,11:08)]Well said ORM!

A few of the younger members of SZ are much too quick to criticise without personal life experience!

Anyone who has a decent "Carrot" dangled in front of them would take the better opportunity, if it came their way.

It's called looking after number one and should be everyones philosphy when it comes to work ethics!

Loyalty get you nothing in life as far as an employee is concerned! (Yes, this is said with a personal experience on my mind!)
I really can't see why all the defence of his actions exists. If I delayed and delayed over a new contract, agreeing to sign one at the end of the week and then signed a contract with another company, I would not expect my company to take me back.

However, as we well know, the balance in power in football is very different to the balance of power in business as the level of customer service offered and the customer loyalty is extremely high. Essentially, fans will keep turning up because the players, managers and, in this day and age, chairmen are only employed whilst the customers (fans) are happy with performance. Hence, the fans opinions, by and large, dictate which players stay or are employed.

Whilst Mark may be considered a decent player and, as you suggest, has every right to try and do the best for himself, he has alienated himself to fans by turning his back on us in such a manner. The boos ringing round Roots Hall v. Oxford were a testament to that.

As for loyalty getting you nothing. The way Oxford are playing, they will be in our division next year and come the start of the season, on the same number of points. Loyalty is a cloudy issue to judge people on. If a player (like Roget for instance) moves up a division, I'll accept it as a career move. If a player moves to a club in the same division at the beginning of the season after the appointment of a new manager, for me, he has to cite the managerial change as his reasoning for leaving or else he is letting the fans down completely.

A few points here....

1. Mark Rawle was a poor player. The only people that seem to think he was the messiah seem to be about 14 years old.

2. There has been no suggestion at all that he will be coming back to Southend.

3. Good on him for finding another job that payed more money. I would have done exactly the same thing.

So why do we need a debate?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ April 19 2004,11:57)]So why do we need a debate?
Well if that is your argument then why bother having a f**king message board in the first place?

Indeed, why are we here?

Fish Finger eating to**er!
tounge.gif

would i take him back simple answer don't know! he did us proud when playing most of the time but the way in which he left the club will allways be in the background surrounding his name its a bit of a seesaw kind of thing but i also believe there is better in the conference and ryman leagues than rawle have a look there some good examples form their are Daryl Clare(chester) and Lee Boylan(canvey)(sorry but hes quality) i know that it seems like im saying we should buy them but we have no hope as they wouldn't join us anyway

Back