• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Lester Bangs

Manager
So from what I can ascertain people didnt enjoy themselves yesterday and the atmosphere was bad. There were too many 'day trippers' which ruined it for everyone else and not enough people were singing. Mohsni is the devil and his display made us lose the match.

Really? REALLY? Now everyones entitled to a viewpoint but the whole spectacle of a Wembley final was in my opinion an amazing experience.

We were tactically naive and were slow to react to danger but all in all I thought we gave a good account of ourselves. I'm in no way embarrassed to be a Southend United fan today.

Enough with the constant moaning and instead reflect on a fantastic day that was largely enjoyable. If you find this to be too difficult then I'm not sure football is for you.

Fully agree, it wasn't as bad as people make out. For an 'out of form' team, we did pretty well against a very good League 1 side. OK, didn't deserve to win but we did have chances that might have gone in on another day. Just watched the highlights which reinforces my view. Even the commentator said there were less than two goals between the sides.

Do not agree.
It was a good day out with friends but nobody can argue about the fact that the team did not play well and I cannot believe Wembley has ever had 31,000 virtually silent fans before.
Melodrama? Not al all. Honest assessment of a huge let down.

If you enjoy going to see the team peform badly in front of so many quiet people - then maybe football isn't for you?

Perhaps. But we were not good enough.

I hoped to see the team perform well amid a great atmosphere. Is hardly melodramatic to concede that I was hugely disappointed neither happened at all.

So from what I can ascertain people didnt enjoy themselves yesterday and the atmosphere was bad. There were too many 'day trippers' which ruined it for everyone else and not enough people were singing. Mohsni is the devil and his display made us lose the match.

Really? REALLY? Now everyones entitled to a viewpoint but the whole spectacle of a Wembley final was in my opinion an amazing experience.

We were tactically naive and were slow to react to danger but all in all I thought we gave a good account of ourselves. I'm in no way embarrassed to be a Southend United fan today.

Enough with the constant moaning and instead reflect on a fantastic day that was largely enjoyable. If you find this to be too difficult then I'm not sure football is for you.

Make your mind up !

I think to be honest the majority of people had a good day. The game and result to me was disappointing but to be honest I get far more depressed about a 1-1 home draw than losing the JPT, it was purely about the event.

We didnt do ourselves any favours on the pitch but we were playing a team in the league above in a competition I dont really care about so not bothered, although a win or even a goal would have made it even better.

Had an absolute cracking day, although the game and performance levels slightly tarnised it along with a poor atmosphere. Having said that, what an occasion and we can now tick watching our team at Wembley of the bucket list!!!

As for the actual game and Mohsni bashing, is this justified, well Yes on Mohsni, yet again he was at fault in a big match against Crewe....just like he was in the first leg of the play offs when he lost his man allowing him a free header.

He was woeful yesterday, infact he has been woeful since his return. Why on earth Brown plays him in the middle the park is beyond me, that is the vital area of the pitch where battles are won and lost. Tamika was being dragged everywhere in an attempt to cover Mohsni.

How people STILL idolise this man I do not know.

Had an absolute cracking day, although the game and performance levels slightly tarnised it along with a poor atmosphere. Having said that, what an occasion and we can now tick watching our team at Wembley of the bucket list!!!

As for the actual game and Mohsni bashing, is this justified, well Yes on Mohsni, yet again he was at fault in a big match against Crewe....just like he was in the first leg of the play offs when he lost his man allowing him a free header.

He was woeful yesterday, infact he has been woeful since his return. Why on earth Brown plays him in the middle the park is beyond me, that is the vital area of the pitch where battles are won and lost. Tamika was being dragged everywhere in an attempt to cover Mohsni.

How people STILL idolise this man I do not know.
Does anyone still idolise or even rate Moshni - apart from the manager?? Useless and a liability - though I cheered him on yesterday because he was playing in blue.

This is what makes these forums so successful. We have all differing views from all different people.

Long Live The Zone!

Outclassed by a better team playing at a higher level but once we hit got into out stride I'd say we gave it a go.

Crewe fans didn't think we were as bad as we seem to have thought we were! But then, they weren't observing with the kind of irrational prejudices some seem to have!

I've not watched it back yet, but a mate and my father have, both of who opinions I trust.

The general thought - we actually didn't play that badly.

We conceded too early each half, but :-

- stonewall penalty shout 1st half
- Tam header should have at least been on target
- improved second half when Reeves came on, allowing Tomlin to receive the ball at feet and he scared Crewes defenders when he got into the area on numerous occasions .

Granted I don't Think Crewe got out of 4th gear - BUT - I'm gonna take the positives from the day.

The negatives are well known already, but I don't want these to cloud the overall great day that I had.

32,000 blue and white scarves and flags up Wembley way, 32,000 blue and whites fans in the North West end of the most famous stadium in the world will long with me, and as a fan for 30 years, screw I'm gonna look back with fondness and joy at the day !!!

Despite the negatives of the team selection, conceding an early goal, decisions not in our favour, wrong pub beforehand, atmosphere never getting going etc,etc, seeing my team at Wembley give it a go( and they did give it a go, causing Crewe some problems) against League 1 opposition who were on their game meant everything to me and was still a fantastic day..............To also watch the match again at home on TV and see my mate performing as a ****** as the Crewe players climbed up made me p*ss myself. Every days a bonus!!!!!!!!!!!!

Despite the negatives of the team selection, conceding an early goal, decisions not in our favour, wrong pub beforehand, atmosphere never getting going etc,etc, seeing my team at Wembley give it a go( and they did give it a go, causing Crewe some problems) against League 1 opposition who were on their game meant everything to me and was still a fantastic day..............To also watch the match again at home on TV and see my mate performing as a ****** as the Crewe players climbed up made me p*ss myself. Every days a bonus!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should have heard the stick Mohnsi was getting from the tier above me, a bit OTT I thought.

We didn't play badly. The team was set-up wrong, IMO, as Crewe are always strong in midfield but I didn't think any of our players really let us down. Even Mohsni tried - it's not his fault he was picked in such a ridiculous position.

We're a mid-table League Two side. Crewe are a mid-table League One side. They're better than us and it showed.

"Cowards and Gutless", "Disgrace", "All Martin's/Mohsni's/Brown's fault", "Non-singing Day-Trippers" and on and on and on. And on.

Have to agree with the title of this thread - as ever far too much melodrama here after a defeat, with too many trying to find someone to blame...

"Football Manager in shock sacking after string of poor results"...an unlikely headline, maybe? Perhaps the managerial change could have waited until end of season, but it wasn't really a great surprise or blow to the moral fabric of the universe was it,especially taking into account Paul's interview after the event when his demeanour indicated he had all but written off the season.I think it was pretty much a no-win position for Martin, with probably as many ready to condemn him for not making a change at the time.

As for the match...we have been on a winless streak, we were playing a more accomplished team from a higher division, who had played us off the park in a similarly important clash last year. And we got beat, wow! We probably didn't play to our full potential and team selection could have been, erm, different, but I don't believe that anyone was cowardly or gutless or disgraceful. We just got beat by a better team. That's all.

And we can't have it both ways about the 31,000 people in the Southend end. Do we moan about the "Day Trippers" (so what, didn't we want non-regulars to come then?), or take some pride in the photos of our half of the ground almost full, and consider the potential there??

I have waited a long time to see SUFC at Wembley, and I had a pause for thought at kick-off reflecting that my late father would have loved this moment. If on a day like yesterday you can't find enough positives to outweigh the negatives, then that is quite sad.

31,000 just shows the potential, if Wigan can make the prem so can we keep the faith, and the dream

To be honest, we played and beaten better team than Crewe, it's the wrong team selection that ensure Crewe to beat us.

Back