• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Chelsea game aside, these last few weeks have been more and more worrying for the club... With our success over the last few years has come an ever increasing fan base with ever increasing expectations and with the team now failing to meet these expectations yesterday, for the first time, I wondered could we be heading back from whence we came?!

Now I actually agree with Tilly, we played alright yesterday, we didn't take our chances, and I said at the time when they went down to 10 men “we won't score now!!!” When a team goes down to 10 men they just park the bus and defend thus leaving no gaps to exploit. That said; questions remain over the players picked for yesterday afternoons latest abject display.

Last season the success over our side was largely based on a midfield that dominated most games. There was fight and there was creativity that carried a largely non-existent strike force to the brink of a return to the Championship. This season I feel on paper our fully fit strike force would be one of the best in the league, but the midfield, what midfield??? This is the route of all our problems. The reason everyone is having a pop at the defence and the reason the strikers are not scoring is we have a midfield that simply cannot compete at this level...

We have been exceptionally unlucky with injuries and loan signings papered over the cracks but its come to the point now where we just need to make the most of what we have. Tilly has fallen out with too many players - its time to make some bold decisions before its too late:

LM
What can I say... For my money we now only have one player at the club who can play on the left wing and that is dear old Richie Foran. Without wishing to open that can of worms again - whatever he has done given our current plight we have to consider bringing him back in! Can we atleast see something for the money we are paying him to p1ss on a Saturday night in Mayhem!!! Failing this we need to buy somebody and fast...

CM
That would allow the Moose to play in his rightful position in the middle as the one player who actually looks capable of passing a football. In turn we would only have to play one of Christophe/Grant in the middle, they are ball winners with no creativity, we only need one. Hurry up and get fit Macca!!! Maybe we've been lucky to have dominating midfielders like Bailey and Sawyer in recent times but what would we give now to have King Kev back. Well its time for the Moose to fulfill his potential but he’s certainly not going to do that on the left wing...

RM
The fact Tilly subbed Betsy at Half-time yesterday says it all, quite frankly his recent performances have been nothing short of dreadful. Worse than Tommy Black and that’s saying something! I'm sure when Black was released it was done with the idea of a certain Damien Scannell coming to prominence. For me, this is now a bigger question that needs answering than the Foran saga, what has this boy done wrong?!? He is the one midfielder we have who is capable of beating a man, put a cross in, or getting a shot away. He proved this again yesterday. Yet has been given little or no time on the pitch. Without doubt our best player in pre-season and while we have put up with weeks and weeks of utter rubbish from Betsy he still doesn't get a chance. In fact O'Keefe even gets on in front of him now as an attacking outlet. But what happened yesterday actually took it to a new level. When we signed Theo Robinson yesterday, somebody complained "but we need wingers"?! I joked "its alright, strikers are wingers". And blow me down Betsy gives another performance worthy of worst ever in a Southend shirt and who comes on to replace him on the right wing?! That right our new striker Theo Robinson. When Scannell did come on in the little time he did have he created something out of nothing and came as close to anyone to getting us level. For gods sake give Scannell a chance!!! He has to start now - If Walker gets one why doesn't Damien?!?

Ideally if we can find the right players for the right price we will paper over these cracks, but not before we haver signed another striker first. Now if Theo Robinson can't get a runout upfront when we have 3 strikers out injured what chance will he have when 2 of them are back and we sign another one to replace Revell. According to Tilly on BBC Essex these we are desperately seeking a target man?! To be fair it we need one to suit our new long ball style of football but what exactly is the point of Theo Robinson...

To summarise - Ron, don't worry about the stadium we need your help now! Tilly its time to grow some balls, forgive and forget, and play people in there rightful positions. Then maybe, just maybe, we will have a chance of staying up!!!

Up the blues :)

Chelsea game aside, these last few weeks have been more and more worrying for the club... With our success over the last few years has come an ever increasing fan base with ever increasing expectations and with the team now failing to meet these expectations yesterday, for the first time, I wondered could we be heading back from whence we came?!

Now I actually agree with Tilly, we played alright yesterday, we didn't take our chances, and I said at the time when they went down to 10 men “we won't score now!!!” When a team goes down to 10 men they just park the bus and defend thus leaving no gaps to exploit. That said; questions remain over the players picked for yesterday afternoons latest abject display.

Last season the success over our side was largely based on a midfield that dominated most games. There was fight and there was creativity that carried a largely non-existent strike force to the brink of a return to the Championship. This season I feel on paper our fully fit strike force would be one of the best in the league, but the midfield, what midfield??? This is the route of all our problems. The reason everyone is having a pop at the defence and the reason the strikers are not scoring is we have a midfield that simply cannot compete at this level...

We have been exceptionally unlucky with injuries and loan signings papered over the cracks but its come to the point now where we just need to make the most of what we have. Tilly has fallen out with too many players - its time to make some bold decisions before its too late:

LM
What can I say... For my money we now only have one player at the club who can play on the left wing and that is dear old Richie Foran. Without wishing to open that can of worms again - whatever he has done given our current plight we have to consider bringing him back in! Can we atleast see something for the money we are paying him to p1ss on a Saturday night in Mayhem!!! Failing this we need to buy somebody and fast...

CM
That would allow the Moose to play in his rightful position in the middle as the one player who actually looks capable of passing a football. In turn we would only have to play one of Christophe/Grant in the middle, they are ball winners with no creativity, we only need one. Hurry up and get fit Macca!!! Maybe we've been lucky to have dominating midfielders like Bailey and Sawyer in recent times but what would we give now to have King Kev back. Well its time for the Moose to fulfill his potential but he’s certainly not going to do that on the left wing...

RM
The fact Tilly subbed Betsy at Half-time yesterday says it all, quite frankly his recent performances have been nothing short of dreadful. Worse than Tommy Black and that’s saying something! I'm sure when Black was released it was done with the idea of a certain Damien Scannell coming to prominence. For me, this is now a bigger question that needs answering than the Foran saga, what has this boy done wrong?!? He is the one midfielder we have who is capable of beating a man, put a cross in, or getting a shot away. He proved this again yesterday. Yet has been given little or no time on the pitch. Without doubt our best player in pre-season and while we have put up with weeks and weeks of utter rubbish from Betsy he still doesn't get a chance. In fact O'Keefe even gets on in front of him now as an attacking outlet. But what happened yesterday actually took it to a new level. When we signed Theo Robinson yesterday, somebody complained "but we need wingers"?! I joked "its alright, strikers are wingers". And blow me down Betsy gives another performance worthy of worst ever in a Southend shirt and who comes on to replace him on the right wing?! That right our new striker Theo Robinson. When Scannell did come on in the little time he did have he created something out of nothing and came as close to anyone to getting us level. For gods sake give Scannell a chance!!! He has to start now - If Walker gets one why doesn't Damien?!?

Ideally if we can find the right players for the right price we will paper over these cracks, but not before we haver signed another striker first. Now if Theo Robinson can't get a runout upfront when we have 3 strikers out injured what chance will he have when 2 of them are back and we sign another one to replace Revell. According to Tilly on BBC Essex these we are desperately seeking a target man?! To be fair it we need one to suit our new long ball style of football but what exactly is the point of Theo Robinson...

To summarise - Ron, don't worry about the stadium we need your help now! Tilly its time to grow some balls, forgive and forget, and play people in there rightful positions. Then maybe, just maybe, we will have a chance of staying up!!!

Up the blues :)

Christ that would put some noses out of joint, on this forum and elsewhere maybe, if a certain Richard Foran became our saviour !!

tilson should think about the team not who he doesn't like then our midfield might look like this at the moment:
Foran. Maher. Moussa. Scannell

Last season, Macca, Bailey and Gower scored 31 between them.
The current midfielders have scored ...er...not many!

tbh, i thought theo looked quite good on the wing. He put in a number of decent crosses and actually gave the full back something to think about. For me, i would have Walker and Robinson on the wings with Grant and Christophe in the middle. Our issue is definately that we havent got anyone driving the midfield atm liek we had with Bailey last season and then Sawyer this season.

Christ that would put some noses out of joint, on this forum and elsewhere maybe, if a certain Richard Foran became our saviour !!

Um, perhaps I won't repeat what my FB status said for a few days last week at this point! ;) However, I do think that if pride is costing us points in not playing him, then at some point someone will have to swallow their pride (be it Tilly, Brush or Martin) and let him on. He can't do any worse.

I totally agree with the point about giving Scannell more of a chance. He's made just 1 League start for us in the year he's been with us and that was the first day of this season. Tilly says he's struggled with the step up in fitness, well work on that Tilly! What have we got a conditioning coach for? Although ironically I notice he was on crutches yesterday! His fitness would surely be improved by playing anyway, not by giving him 10 minutes here and there. When he does play he gives us a new outlet, and doesn't fall over continuously or knock the ball back to the right back like Betsy, he actually gets at the full back. Perhaps not at Leeds, because we'll no doubt need to be as tight as possible, but at home to Bristol Rovers next week he surely has to be given a chance.

It is hardly a surprise our midfield isn't as good. Last season we had a championship quality central midfield, a decent attack (I think we were something like 2nd or 3rd top-scorers) and if we'd had a better keeper and central defence we'd have been playing in the championship. In the summer we lost Gower and Bailey our key attacking and defensive players respectively. We've had to try and completely rebuild our midfield, with the one surviving midfield player injured and then out of form.

I think Moussa, Grant and Christophe had done an OK job of replacing Bailey, they aren't as good as Bailey was, but if they were they'd be playing Championship football as well. Our problem is more that we haven't replaced Gower as I've said hundreds of times this season. We've got no creativity and we lack players who can pass the ball as well as Gower could.

I think the answer is to build the team around Moussa, playing him in the Maher role. McCormack is the best fit alongside him, as he can get forward better than Christophe or Grant, but we need someone who can both beat a man and split a defence out wide to compensate for Macca's lack of creativity. Grant can probably do a job wide right, in the Pettefer role, making us difficult to break down, although he isn't ideal.

I'd rather we bide our time and ensure we get the right player to replace Gower. I expect we'll need to pay someone in the region of £200,000 for a cultured player, so I'd rather we got this right than pay the money and regret it is as the player was the wrong fit (eg Clarke).

I totally agree with the point about giving Scannell more of a chance. He's made just 1 League start for us in the year he's been with us and that was the first day of this season. Tilly says he's struggled with the step up in fitness, well work on that Tilly! What have we got a conditioning coach for? Although ironically I notice he was on crutches yesterday! His fitness would surely be improved by playing anyway, not by giving him 10 minutes here and there. When he does play he gives us a new outlet, and doesn't fall over continuously or knock the ball back to the right back like Betsy, he actually gets at the full back. Perhaps not at Leeds, because we'll no doubt need to be as tight as possible, but at home to Bristol Rovers next week he surely has to be given a chance.

Exactly well said Andy... the fitness is never going to get there if he doesn't get the time on the pitch. Fact is he is one of the only players we have at the moment capable of doing something out of the ordinary! When he has been given a chance on the right wing he has done well. Bristol Rovers away he nearly turned the game - then the next week he was again only a sub and infact he was brought on upfront?!

Wingers are not strikers and strikers are not wingers...

Give the lad a chance!!!

I would have Walker out wide left, he has pace, can cut in and shoot like Gower used to and he tracks back pretty well. Centre mid for me, despite his poor form its Jeff plus one other, probably the Moose because his pasing ability is far greater than Macca (witness a lovely through ball for Theo in the secnd half) and he gets in the box a fair bit. The right wing is a real problem, Betsy is awful, Grant would keep coming inside although away from home I think maybe this would work. IN all honesty though our midfield is toilet and wouldnt mind seeing us get at least 2 new ones this week but knowing Tilly he'll get another striker and 3 left backs.

Back