• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

HudsonNo1

Manager
It's a great problem for PB to have, I think we have one of the best looking midfields we've had in a long time at the moment with,

Timlin
deegan
lenny
worrall
atkinson
wordsworth
payne
weston
hurst

Theres jack bridge coming through and the possible signing of McLaughlin.

so my question is, on the basis we will be playing a standard 442 just who would you pick? So many of those players deserve a starting berth after their performances last season. Who will provide the right balance of cover for the back four and the creativity coming forward. With many touting Payne to have a breakthrough year this season, will Wordsworth coming in put the buffers on his development. Is the left hand side strong enough?

The more I look at our squad the more excited I get, especially when you throw the possible strike force of Mooney, Hunt, Piggy and Williams in there aswell. Just to think a month A go I posted saying how no one in the squad really excites me.

I don't think we'll be playing 442.

In a 451 I'd go with:

Worrall Wordsworth Hurst
Timlin Leonard

If we were playing 442, then probably:

Worrall Leonard Wordsworth Timlin

Most likely 4-5-1 and I'd go with:
Worrall Payne Wordsworth
Timlin Leonard​

For the wide positions, we have Worrall, Atkinson, Weston, Hurst and possibly McLaughlin. I think Worrall and McLaughlin (if he signs) would be the main pairing. Weston has shown to be a good impact sub, but I think his lack of consistency stops him pushing to be a regular starter. Saying that, he did seem to strike up a good partnership with Mooney so he could be a backup secondary striker too. Can't see Hurst returning to his 13/14 form and he will have to show early on what he is worth. That leaves Atkinson, who can play anywhere in midfield if required and might be a good option if we are playing against a side who have a tricky winger so he can track back and double team them.

In the middle, we have Timlin, Deegan, Wordsworth, Payne and Leonard. Wordsworth looks quality and the most likely to make us tick and create chances. I think Deegan will be a back up and Payne will only play off the striker. That leaves Timlin and Leonard to fight it out for the 2nd midfield place alongside Wordsworth. If White is injured, then Leonard will slot into RB and Timlin taking the other slot. I would like to see Bridge make sub appearances throughout the season to slowly introduce him as he looks quality.

If Hunt signs we'll probably end up playing 4-3-3 something like this:

Mooney
Worrall Hunt
Wordsworth
Timlin Leonard

(formatting's a bit off - front diamond with Timlin & Leonard behind)

Weston has been one of the players of pre-season, him and Worrall working opposite wings has worked really well. It's great having Hurst who has shown improvement as cover either side. I'm not even sure McLaughlin is still needed, or Deegan for that matter, beard or no beard! Wordsworth has to play in the middle though. They're going to have to get used to a bit of rotation, I think.

Weston has been one of the players of pre-season, him and Worrall working opposite wings has worked really well. It's great having Hurst who has shown improvement as cover either side. I'm not even sure McLaughlin is still needed, or Deegan for that matter, beard or no beard! Wordsworth has to play in the middle though. They're going to have to get used to a bit of rotation, I think.

Indeed, keeping everyone happy could well be the tricky part.

oh and Beard.

Back