• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I was just looking at our historical stats V Millwall, and one thing caught my eye, which im hoping that some of the more "Mature" supporters (age related, not mentally) would be able to answer my question.
Which is according to records on the normally accurate 11v11 site, it mentions that in the 1957 season, we played them away on Christmas day and again the following day (boxing day) at home? Is this a typo error or was the match abanded for some reason or did we in fact play 2 full games in 2 days against the same team?

I was just looking at our historical stats V Millwall, and one thing caught my eye, which im hoping that some of the more "Mature" supporters (age related, not mentally) would be able to answer my question.
Which is according to records on the normally accurate 11v11 site, it mentions that in the 1957 season, we played them away on Christmas day and again the following day (boxing day) at home? Is this a typo error or was the match abanded for some reason or did we in fact play 2 full games in 2 days against the same team?

Confirmed on www.sufcdb.co.uk, that is bizzare! Looks like that the was the last season games were played on Christmas Day.

Last edited:

1957 was a bit before my time but I believe what you read was a common occurrence in that era.

Cheers Brettie.

Blimey!!.. Thats not much of a Christmas is it!!
Especially for the poor Southend players or fans for that matter, I can only imagine that on Xmas day after the match.... no doubt they barely got half way through the queue in the Accident & Emergency department before they had to whack on a plaster and head back to Southend to endure another kicking!! :smile:

That being said, we won on both occasions, so maybe we were "dishing it out" in those days.

1957 was a bit before my time but I believe what you read was a common occurrence in that era.

Yep, back then, as Cricko told me, games were always played on Christmas Day with the reverse fixture the following day. I think there are some bizaare scorelines in history of teams winning 7-1 at home and then losing 6-0 away the next day etc.

Yep, back then, as Cricko told me, games were always played on Christmas Day with the reverse fixture the following day. I think there are some bizaare scorelines in history of teams winning 7-1 at home and then losing 6-0 away the next day etc.

Perhaps the winning team hit the beer and fags resulting in a less than optimum performance the next day. Not much fun for the referee and linesmen either!

Back