• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Missing Gower

The trouble with squad numbers is you don't know where they are supposed to be playing!

Just watched Swansea on the league show, Gower played according to the pre match team sheet and i've just checked on the swansea website and he was on the pitch for the entire match.
They talked on tv about the wingers et al but no mention of Gower.

So what position is he now playing and are his talents being used to the full?

I think that he plays in the defensive midfield role and is doing pretty well there.

Seen Swansea a couple of times on the box this season and Marky G pretty much ran the show from the centre of the park, he took all the set pieces aswell.

Seen Swansea a couple of times on the box this season and Marky G pretty much ran the show from the centre of the park, he took all the set pieces aswell.

Yep, he's been pretty impressive when I've seen Swansea on the tele this season. I want Swansea to go up to see if he can keep that role in the Prem.

Is this the same guy who was crucified by some of the 'mouths' in the West Stand a few years ago!? You never know what you've got 'till its gone!

Will most likely always be my favourite shrimper of all time. Playing in central midfield now he is starting to get on a bit in football terms. Can't help but feel he could have played at the level he is at for most of his career, but so glad he stayed with us as long as he did.

Is this the same guy who was crucified by some of the 'mouths' in the West Stand a few years ago!? You never know what you've got 'till its gone!

Yeah to be honest when Gower was on form so were we. We relied on him as much as Freddy in my opinion as he, along with Maher to a certain extent was our playmaker. I think this is why people used to get on his back so much coz if he played poorly then a lot of the time we didn't get a result from the game.

Possibly my favourite SUFC player of all time and I'm chuffed to see him doing well. I really hope Swansea go up and that he gets a chance in the Premier League.

I was speaking to a couple of Swansea season ticket holders last week, who think Gower has been awesome in the holding role, was good on the wing but couldn't buy a goal !

Anyone see the Arsenal goal (was it Arshavin's v Barcelona) recently? Everyone was raving about the calmness and precision. Gower used to score them for us all the time.

Great player and fantastic to watch when on song. Frustrating when maybe not at peak fitness because we knew what he was capable of.

Gower was a class, quality player. One of my favourite Southend players ever and one of our most-missed former players. We haven't had a really good winger since he left.

Yeah to be honest when Gower was on form so were we. We relied on him as much as Freddy in my opinion as he, along with Maher to a certain extent was our playmaker. I think this is why people used to get on his back so much coz if he played poorly then a lot of the time we didn't get a result from the game.
True, and for the same reason that's why I've always considered the criticism of Freddy in the back end of the Championship season extremely harsh.

Wasn't gower midfielder when he signed and tilly pushed him onto the wing? A bit like the mooooooose.

Gower started his career as a central midfielder but he played wide for virtually his whole spell with us. It was Wignall who signed him and deployed him there, and Tilly followed suit.

Back