• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The money in football

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
Is it me or has football gone mad. Rank average prem players going for 20 million +. Championship players going for 15 million. It's complete madness.

I don't think it will be long before league 1 clubs start regularly start paying 1 million + for players.

Something has to give. It's a sad day when players turn down contracts worth 9 million pounds per year.

Greed is a cancer that is killing the game.

I swear that the Premier League is now more about transfers than football. It's a soap opera with some football thrown in.

The money is insane. It's bad enough at the top level but the second tier is insane too. Many clubs think that selling someone to a prem club sorts them out for life. the money knocking around is just unreal

"I don't think it will be long before league 1 clubs start regularly start paying 1 million + for players.

I doubt it. They don't have Sky money.

I swear that the Premier League is now more about transfers than football. It's a soap opera with some football thrown in.
For context, I'm involved in a football news site which during the season covers analysis, tactics, etc, and then covers transfers during the windows. Deadline day we got more hits on one day than we had across the whole month for February, March and April. Sad state of affairs really.

The thing about transfer fees, particularly at the top level, is that they're hugely subjective to a whole raft of internal and external influences to such an extent that they're useless as a true gauge of "market value".

Let's strip out the Neymar deal as an example. Is Neymar, as a company asset, worth €188m? Probably not. But what he meant to PSG extends far beyond his worth to the club. They royally screwed Barcelona - a rival with which a significant grudge has festered - while catapulting themselves onto the main stage as one of Europe's true elite. There's also significant geopolitical stature involved with the Qataris flashing the cash at the moment.

That's not to mention the suggestions that PSG are intentionally inflating the market at the moment to short it and ensure only them and a handful of other clubs can truly afford the top talent, but that to me sounds like a tactic that's destined to fail.

Premier League transfers have inflated partly because of those factors, but also because the last two years have been the first to truly reap the benefit of the new TV deal, so there's just a lot more money swilling around anyway. It's not really value though, it's just twenty clubs trading paper assets.

It's gotten out of hand when clubs start hiking tickets prices to compete.

The thing about transfer fees, particularly at the top level, is that they're hugely subjective to a whole raft of internal and external influences to such an extent that they're useless as a true gauge of "market value".

Let's strip out the Neymar deal as an example. Is Neymar, as a company asset, worth €188m? Probably not. But what he meant to PSG extends far beyond his worth to the club. They royally screwed Barcelona - a rival with which a significant grudge has festered - while catapulting themselves onto the main stage as one of Europe's true elite. There's also significant geopolitical stature involved with the Qataris flashing the cash at the moment.

That's not to mention the suggestions that PSG are intentionally inflating the market at the moment to short it and ensure only them and a handful of other clubs can truly afford the top talent, but that to me sounds like a tactic that's destined to fail.

Premier League transfers have inflated partly because of those factors, but also because the last two years have been the first to truly reap the benefit of the new TV deal, so there's just a lot more money swilling around anyway. It's not really value though, it's just twenty clubs trading paper assets.

It's gotten out of hand when clubs start hiking tickets prices to compete.

I think the transfer market has become totally insane simply because incredibly wealthy club owners can spend 200 million which in real terms is like us mere mortals spending a quid.

Honestly I don't get why anyone gets bothered by stuff like this. It's multimillion pound businesses owned by billionaires. They can afford it. The players generate huge money and are rightly paid for it. It doesn't negatively impact any of us, the money is in line with (indeed often less that) other sports and other forms of entertainment.

Personally it's the oversaturation of the game that has put me off of it more than anything else. If the players earned agents of the money that wouldn't change it's just that the rich owners would be even more rich.

Disagree in that I prefer to see players actually earn their money not have tons of it chucked at them with paying fans expected to put up with witnessing umpteen indifferent performances at club (and national) level each season. The age old excuse of it being a short career doesn't wash either. Greed is the word, from the owners to players and all the way down to the agents. If the Premier League or Chumpions League disappeared tomorrow I wouldn't miss either of 'em. Scudamore and his tv chums couldn't care a toss about the fans, it's all image and cash.

That's just meaningless, popularist ******** though isn't it? Footballers earn their money or else they wouldn't receive their money. Football generates an insane amount of cash and so why shouldn't the guys whose talent get people to buy tickets and to pay for TV subscriptions get their cut of that money?

Who are you to tell people that they're greedy? It's the market that dictates their wage, nothing else.

Disagree in that I prefer to see players actually earn their money not have tons of it chucked at them with paying fans expected to put up with witnessing umpteen indifferent performances at club (and national) level each season. The age old excuse of it being a short career doesn't wash either. Greed is the word, from the owners to players and all the way down to the agents. If the Premier League or Chumpions League disappeared tomorrow I wouldn't miss either of 'em. Scudamore and his tv chums couldn't care a toss about the fans, it's all image and cash.

That's just the market at work though. Clubs compete in various tournaments, their success in which enables them to enjoy various revenue streams to certain degrees. The clubs then pay the workers that help them achieve that success, and therefor revenue streams, in what's deemed to be an appropriate and just fashion. Where would you rather that money go? Out to employees where it is taxed and invariably spent, or hoarded on the balance sheet?

They don't earn it, they get paid it.

Again, if they are directly responsible for a company's success, should they not be rewarded for that? Also, at the top level - where players are paid the kinds of wages I assume most of the ill feeling is directed to - clubs trade off the name of their players through merchandise or sponsorships. I don't know about you, but if my company was turning a profit off replica shirts, action figures or whatever in my name, I'd be expecting a slice of that cake.

That's just meaningless, popularist ******** though isn't it? Footballers earn their money or else they wouldn't receive their money. Football generates an insane amount of cash and so why shouldn't the guys whose talent get people to buy tickets and to pay for TV subscriptions get their cut of that money?

Who are you to tell people that they're greedy? It's the market that dictates their wage, nothing else.

No it's not, it's my opinion from being a long-time follower of football, so who's talking ********** now, eh? As for 'earn and 'talent', really now, are we talking of the same sport ? My opinion again.

That's just the market at work though. Clubs compete in various tournaments, their success in which enables them to enjoy various revenue streams to certain degrees. The clubs then pay the workers that help them achieve that success, and therefor revenue streams, in what's deemed to be an appropriate and just fashion. Where would you rather that money go? Out to employees where it is taxed and invariably spent, or hoarded on the balance sheet?

Again, if they are directly responsible for a company's success, should they not be rewarded for that? Also, at the top level - where players are paid the kinds of wages I assume most of the ill feeling is directed to - clubs trade off the name of their players through merchandise or sponsorships. I don't know about you, but if my company was turning a profit off replica shirts, action figures or whatever in my name, I'd be expecting a slice of that cake.

Okay, just as a throw away, how's about these mega-rich clubs doing say a free entry match in recognition of their fans and the continued dosh they provide through tickets / merchandising etc and that many supporters travel all over the UK (some Europe and further) in support of their team. Not as though they (the clubs) can't afford it is it, is that so cuckoo?

How about this? Because of the money Sky give to Premiership clubs, all the Prem' clubs should give all current season ticket holders a free one for next season.

Back