• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Morning After

I think Ron's exit might be closer than many assume. Fossetts Farm is the golden egg for Ron and once that gets the green light and the work gets going, I don't see any reason for him to hang around any longer.

I've just been for an early morning walk to reflect on all of this.

I'm gutted at a second successive relegation, years of mismanagement by Ron Martin that (to borrow the analogy speaking about the ESL) "spits in the face" of us loyal fans. The insipid performance by so called professional footballers that seemed unable to grasp the urgency of our situation last night.

Then I remembered my friend Colin, a Sheffield Wednesday fan (who are also facing relegation), he died of COVID two months ago aged 51 and leaves behind a grieving widow and a 9-year old daughter. How they would have loved to hear him bemoaning Wednesday's fate. How I would have loved to be debating the relative mismanagement of our respective teams with him.

My 25-year old son and I were talking the other day about next season, already resigned to our inevitable relegation. He said we'll still be there, we'll still celebrate the highs, bemoan the lows, sing with our friends, shout at the linesman. Once restrictions are lifted, we'll be back supporting our team - whatever league they're playing in.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still angry and upset about this. But I have had time to reflect and put a little bit of perspective on this.

I think Ron's exit might be closer than many assume. Fossetts Farm is the golden egg for Ron and once that gets the green light and the work gets going, I don't see any reason for him to hang around any longer.

How will he get the green light, though ? without EFL football, I think he'll struggle to convince the council and the population of the town that it needs a shiny new stadium now.

I'm gutted at a second successive relegation, years of mismanagement by Ron Martin that (to borrow the analogy speaking about the ESL) "spits in the face" of us loyal fans. The insipid performance by so called professional footballers that seemed unable to grasp the urgency of our situation last night.

Then I remembered my friend Colin, a Sheffield Wednesday fan (who are also facing relegation), he died of COVID two months ago aged 51 and leaves behind a grieving widow and a 9-year old daughter. How they would have loved to hear him bemoaning Wednesday's fate. How I would have loved to be debating the relative mismanagement of our respective teams with him.

My 25-year old son and I were talking the other day about next season, already resigned to our inevitable relegation. He said we'll still be there, we'll still celebrate the highs, bemoan the lows, sing with our friends, shout at the linesman. Once restrictions are lifted, we'll be back supporting our team - whatever league they're playing in.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still angry and upset about this. But I have had time to reflect and put a little bit of perspective on this.
Couldn't have put it better myself

How will he get the green light, though ? without EFL football, I think he'll struggle to convince the council and the population of the town that it needs a shiny new stadium now.

The council have their eye on all the money they will make from the homes. I don't think dropping down a league will make that much difference to them.

Brilliant post and echos the thoughts of me and my 17 year old son. He was in pieces last night, he fights in the lower league corner with his friends who all support the big london clubs, but with a difference, we go! we are ST holders and will be again and go to around 14/16 away games, we will do again next season. Its our club, our love, a huge part of our life. Never did o think we would support a NL club, but if thats what it is then so beit, we are still Southend United

The council have their eye on all the money they will make from the homes. I don't think dropping down a league will make that much difference to them.

Yes. The stadium is not driving the development now. It is and will continue to be an afterthought, completely secondary to the housing. It will be the most basic stadium they can get away with, with the promise of "phases" of more development in the "future".

Yes. The stadium is not driving the development now. It is and will continue to be an afterthought, completely secondary to the housing. It will be the most basic stadium they can get away with, with the promise of "phases" of more development in the "future".

Can somebody explain what the covenant actually demands ? Just any stadium (1-3 sides ?) or just a home for SUFC to play (ie ground share ?). Basically, can Ron just sell the assets and walk away ?

that should be some quick decision making who`s worth keeping or who can go !

A lot of our experienced players will be retiring (kinda says it all) and I would guess some of the younger senior pros will be on their way (Elvis, Ox, Clifford, Hobson?) so the key thing is to understand who is worth keeping of who is left (clue: not many!) and then identifying and filling gaps quickly.

Key to this is to resolve the managerial situation quickly as we don't want to give other teams a headstart again.

In the cold light of day I wondered if I would feel any different, but I don't. The club (not fans) has got exactly what it has deserved and in that I guess, with a league competition being the ultimate meritocracy, justice this season (and last) has been done.

Any organisation, in any walk of life, that has been run as poorly as Blues has been done in recent years, autocratically, with a lack of honesty/transparency, muddled decision making and a failure to deliver on the fundamentals such as paying staff and your tax bill on time, never mind on a new stadium, is ultimately doomed. Nobody should be surprised. It is what happens next that will determine whether the club can return to the EFL in the next few seasons or whether it will go the same way as other long standing members of the Football League that suffered a similar fate as us due to poor leadership.

Can that happen with Ron still at the helm? I personally think it can, despite what I have said above. But he needs to completely change his style and approach, accept he has made some serious errors of judgement, set up a proper Board with all key stakeholders represented carrying genuine gravitas AND be 100% committed to 'the project' as they say in modern parlance. The work needs to start today as does preparation for next season in the National League. Honesty begins with accepting that fate now and the sooner that happens the sooner that can start.

In term of 'on the pitch' much of what happens in the next few weeks will determine the kind of players the club SHOULD be able to attract at that level to be very competitive. However to enable that to happen things need to happen off the pitch - and that, due to the current structure and philosophy at the club, starts and ends with Ron unfortunately. That needs to change significantly but in my view doesn't necessarily mean that he has to, or indeed should, go. Change and Ron staying are not mutually exclusive and anybody insisting they are run the risk -in my opinion - of repeating the mistakes of the past and forgetting the timeless adages of 'be careful what you wish for' and 'better the devil you know'.

Believe me, anybody who thinks things can't get any worse is very much mistaken. We need energy at the top more than ever - at a time when it is most difficult to find it. Come on Ron show some today and let's have actions rather than words. Are you up for the challenge or is it time to hand things over to somebody who is?
Still in shock after yesterday. I am trying to come to terms with the fact that we are all but relegated.

As many have said it is very difficult to get promoted from the National League and this is a disaster for our club.

I'm very concerned about our future. We need significant investment in our squad which is something we cannot afford. I can't see anyone wanting to buy the club from Ron and don't believe Ron has the funds to turn things around. Is administration our best option? Take the points deduction now? This may be the best option for option for the club and Ron. It will also be a more attractive proposition for a new owner.

If Ron does nothing I can see us folding within the year.

I will support my club until the end. Up the blues!!
That's why I favour evolution rather than revolution. The guy has probably been one of the longest serving Chairman in the clubs history and will have certainly lost the most money. Very easy for people say they are prepared to buy club - but what bit? It will require Ron to write off huge debts and give up the few assets he has to make it mildly attractive. Not sure that is likely and frankly unless supporters groups work with him, accepting that it is vital that he takes responsibility for our current plight and shows us tangible evidence of his determination to put it right, then we run the risk of getting caught in a cycle of blame (fans) and obstinacy (Ron). That might result in thing looking significantly worse this time next year for everybody. Conciliation, goodwill, energy and determination to put things right at all levels are the orders of the day - to create the kind of environment that gives the Manager and team the best possible chance of success on the pitch.
Last night I wept for the club I’ve supported since the 1950s but, as has been said, a new day brings renewed hope. Reading some of these comments has reminded me that our club has one priceless asset - a loyal fan base - and that’s going to prove vital at this lowest point in our history. No good looking back with regret, the club needs to use this opportunity to look forward and resolve to do things differently in the future. Let’s embrace the challenge of the National League and move forward with a group of officials, players and back room staff who are willing to give 100% for the club. A sticking plaster is no good if what’s required is major surgery. Sometimes it takes a crisis for everyone to step back and see the bigger picture. COYB!

Can somebody explain what the covenant actually demands ? Just any stadium (1-3 sides ?) or just a home for SUFC to play (ie ground share ?). Basically, can Ron just sell the assets and walk away ?
Just a place to play football I think. Might not even need three sides if we remain in non-league. Two small stands with fencing/ a small terrace at each end, would house 2-3000 supporters.

Yes, and Ron could decide to sell this land to housing developers whenever he wants and with no responsibility to the club, because there will be no covenant on the new 'stadium'. He could decide to leave us completely homeless. But I don't personally think he will do that.

However, it would be interesting to see if Ron would back a new covenant. That would give us an indication of future intentions.

The council couldn’t care less about the football
club or what division it’s in. They only care about the housing element and meeting the quota set by the central government. Us being in the NL rather than L2 has no impact on the housing side.

The council couldn’t care less about the football
club or what division it’s in. They only care about the housing element and meeting the quota set by the central government. Us being in the NL rather than L2 has no impact on the housing side.

Fair point ! but it still makes it harder to justify the idea to the local people, who ultimately vote the council members in

Fair point ! but it still makes it harder to justify the idea to the local people, who ultimately vote the council members in

Which is why, as I said elsewhere, the likely outcome will be a revised stadium plan of 8-10k capacity and fill the remainder with more housing, the council will have even more reason to approve it to meet quotas and RM will make even more cash from them.

Which is why, as I said elsewhere, the likely outcome will be a revised stadium plan of 8-10k capacity and fill the remainder with more housing, the council will have even more reason to approve it to meet quotas and RM will make even more cash from them.

Sadly, I think you're probably right.

Back