• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It always makes me laugh how in football you might get one injury in a match and in NHL/NFL, the injury list is comically long...
But how many times do you see a physio on the pitch in NFL? Most of the guys manage to hobble off to the touchline so the team can be ready for the next play. The stuff some the worlds best footballers go down for, and need treatment for is pathetic.

As mentioned, you'd do some serious damage (they do anyway) if they were unpadded. I presume they used to in 'the good old days' and I'm amazed if no-one was killed!

People were getting killed/paralysed and that's why they've got so much padding nowadays!

People were getting killed/paralysed and that's why they've got so much padding nowadays!

They still are. One of the reasons I was complaining about how depleted the Bengals linebackers corp was, is because their first round pick from 2005, David Pollack, suffered a serious neck injury early last season, from which he still hasn't fully recovered.

This season the Bills' Kevin Everett was paralysed and suffered a near-fatal spinal injury.

Its a dangerous sport.

Its a dangerous sport
And very tough, and its played by some very hard men who dont whinge and whine at the ref, and dont feign injury all the time.

Nice to see Chicago get back on track, couldn't face staying up to watch it though!

Wonder if Miami will win a game before they come to Wembley? Dolphins 0-5 now....

Just looking at scores at the moment.

Looks like impressive wins for the Steelers against the Seahawks and your Bears against the previously undefeated Packers.

Straight forward wins as expected for Colts, Pats to keep their 100% records. Cowboys should join them in the Monday night game.

New England at Dallas next week is one to make sure you're in for. Brady has thrown 3 TD passes in the first five games - an NFL record. And as YB says, Dallas are almost certain to be 5-0 as of 4am tomorrow morning.

A Super Bowl XLII preview perhaps?

I watched a bit of the Dolphins game last night, I made a good choice picking the "Red Button" game on Sky Sports as it meant instead of getting adverts I just got gratuitous stock footage of the various cheerleaders strutting their stuff every time there was an advert break (after each play)

dolphins 0-7?

Dolphins 0-6 with the New England Patriots up next so The dolphins will be 0-7.

A win at wembley will be great

Go DOLPHINS

NY Giants:flamer:

My Bengals managed to lose at home to the hated Steelers yet again, which pretty much makes the season a write-off. No doubt they'll finish strongly to lower their position in the draft, as they've an easy month coming up plus Chris Henry's suspension is nearly over.

Edit: Just seen the highlights from that game. Ouch. Two big calls went against the Bengals when Santanio Holmes was allowed to get away with a dropped catch - despite Marvin Lewis challenging it, and then Kenny Watson being adjudged to have been stripped of the ball when he was already down.

Last edited:
I watched the Chargers down Indianapolis last night. Or rather had the telly on and snoozed through most of it, rousing to see certain bits of it.

16-0 up in the first 6 minutes. A comfortable 23-7 ahead in the 4th quarter. And .... oops, squeaked a 23-21 win and only after Peyton Manning threw an interception with the last play of the game.

Chrgers, incredibly, lead AFC West with a 5-4 record. What a cr@p division!

Incidentally, Dick Nolan, former 49ers coach and father of the current incumbent, died today.

The AFC West is an interesting division. I think Denver, Kansas and San Diego are all OK teams who possibly aren't as bad as their records suggest. None of them look like division winners though.

If you want a really crappy division try the NFC West! Seattle are top without even a winning record and with their main man Shaun Alexander looking as if his legs have gone. The 49ers have gone from a team who looked as if they may be on the up to 6 straight defeats, plus the NFC West has the Rams.

Mind you my team's AFC North is looking pretty shoddy at the moment. Sunday saw the amusing match-up of the Bengals with no defence, against the Ravens with no attack. Baltimore went at one stage interception, fumble, punt, fumble, fumble, interception. Despite all these gifts of field position, the Bengals failed to score a single touchdown, mainly because the lack of a running game.

With the Colts going off the boil, its difficult to see who can stop the Pats. I don't see anyone in the NFC that is any good. The packers are decent, but nothing special, same for the Cowboys. I'm sure someone is going to emerge, its difficult to see who. Maybe Pittsburgh, but I can't see it at the moment especially as they'll be away, the Ravens might have the defence if everyone is fit but just havent' the offensive firepower, maybe the Colts will rebound stronger. There's still plenty of time for players to get injured and stars to emerge.

Also snoozed/watched the Seahawks v 49ers last night. What a sorry bunch the visitors were. Seattle won 24-0 without ever getting out of 2nd gear. No first downs at all in the first half told its' own story for San Francisco. Still, at least they have the pride march to look forward to.

What has happened to the Dolphins, they always used to be half-decent and were the team I followed when NFL 1st took off over here. I still look out for their results but that's about it.

What has happened to the Dolphins, they always used to be half-decent and were the team I followed when NFL 1st took off over here. I still look out for their results but that's about it.

They were expected to do ok this year but have had horrid luck with injuries. What's more, the Doplhins team of 72 are in big danger of losing their distinction of being the only team to record an unbeaten season (to New England). It'd be funny if that happened in the same season that Miami go 0-16!

On the plus side, they ought to be getting the No.1 pick in next spring's draft...

The NFL has a salary cap and a draft system that makes it very difficult for teams to maintain dynasties.

Imagine Man U who are already paying the likes of Rooney and Ferdinand top whack for their position. When Ronaldo's contract is up as he's developed into a star he'll want star's wages. Man U would then be faced with a dilemma of whether to make him the highest earner at the club, which would leave them with no money to spend on defence and they'd have to let Vidic go.

So instead of Man U being able to sign Tevez, Anderson and Nani they would have had Derby's signings instead and signed Earnshaw, Claude Davis and Eddie Lewis.

Derby would have also had the pick of all the young players in the country, whilst Man U would have had the last pick.

Miami weren't helped by losing star running back Ricky Williams a couple of years back through 'retirement' (aka as failing repeatedly failing drugs tests under the NFL substance abuse policy). i think they had a couple of arrests and failed drugs test for steroids for a couple of important players.

They are basically now a mess, but they'll be getting the first pick in the draft and can choose to rebuild around a QG like Louisville's Brian Brohm or a RB like Darren Macfadden or try and beef up either their defensive or offensive line. Someone like Cleveland have shown that you can go from stinking to competitive in a season or two thanks to free agency and the draft.

Back