• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The NHS Is Safe Under the Tories

londonblue

Topgun Pilot
Targets missed again:

BBC

It's also interesting to see that before the last GE the targets were higher, and even when the NHS failed to meet them, it still outperformed the current targets.

Well done tories.

The other day a Tory MP made the claim that cancer survival had increased during the current government. It was quickly pointed out to him that cancer survival data is at least 5 years "old" and therefore any changes/policies that resulted in the rise in cancer survival seen in the data happened well before the Tories.:hilarious:

A serious question on health if I may.

All major UK parties are now seemingly opposed to private involvement in the provision of health care and the existing structure of the NHS goes unchallenged.

The NHS has an internal inflation rate of about 7% and will have a funding gap of an estimated £30bn by 2020. This is largely a product of demographics and assumes trend productivity gains, which aren't great.

To plug that funding gap of £30bn you would have to increase the basic rate of income tax from 20% to 27% for everyone. You couldn't raise it from higher rate only (the rate would have to increase from 40% to 60%) and the additional rate reduces revenues if increased.

Alternatively VAT would have to increase from 20% to 25%. Corporation tax would have to virtually double.

Taking any of these measures would have a major impact on growth and unemployment, which would reduce the tax receipts anyway.

So here is my question - if you want to protect the NHS as it stands now how would you pay for it?

All major UK parties are now seemingly opposed to private involvement in the provision of health care and the existing structure of the NHS goes unchallenged.

The NHS has an internal inflation rate of about 7% and will have a funding gap of an estimated £30bn by 2020. This is largely a product of demographics and assumes trend productivity gains, which aren't great.

To plug that funding gap of £30bn you would have to increase the basic rate of income tax from 20% to 27% for everyone. You couldn't raise it from higher rate only (the rate would have to increase from 40% to 60%) and the additional rate reduces revenues if increased.

Alternatively VAT would have to increase from 20% to 25%. Corporation tax would have to virtually double.

Taking any of these measures would have a major impact on growth and unemployment, which would reduce the tax receipts anyway.

So here is my question - if you want to protect the NHS as it stands now how would you pay for it?
How much is Trident? Job done.

Or a country that expects an excellent health service on demand?

I consider that we have it already

No complaints from me regarding the NHS. Had an ambulance called out for me last night as I had a fall which may have been stroke related. Got taken to the James Paget in Gorleston to get checked out and patched up and was home again within 1 1/2 hours.

Surely people do already pay for the NHS via their NI contributions and taxes?

So your question should really be: would you be prepared to pay more for the NHS via increased NI contributions and taxation?

On a personal note -and as the holder of an EIII health card,which entitles me to free NH treatment in any EU country-my answer would be no.I've already paid my whack into the system thanks.

So if a drunk punches you...you will pay for treatment....astonishing.

You know what I mean. A&E is full of drunken ***** on a Friday/Saturday night who have drunk so much ****** lager that they fight or fall over or just pass out.

Protected future funding which enables larger scale and longer-term investments which improve efficiency. IT, data systems, collaborative care rather than fragmented providers, research etc.

I'd also take a harder line with public health issues, and great support of lifestyle changes instead of medicalised care.

Also give NICE more power to say no to expensive pharma products (and getting rid of outdated practices - homeopathy anyone?), and reduce the influence of pharma companies by separating health objectives from business/innovation/UK pharma objectives. Controlling our pharma spend would go a long way to closing the gap.

Any injury caused due to alcohol should be chargeable.

It is already through duty levied on those products.

Smokers and heavy drinkers also save the NHS money. Not only do they pay more but they also die before they get expensive diseases that cost even more.

It may be an interesting question, but it is completely irrelevant to this discussion. This discussion is about what has already happened, and not what may or may not happen in the future.

What has happened over the last few years is that the tories have once again failed the NHS.

Back