• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The NHS

Just spoke to my sister who is an experienced district nurse

For the past three weeks the NHS seconded her in to a managerial role to sit between the head honchoes and the in the field staff to work on organising distribution of the virus testing procedures for her area. She said it was daft as she was just doing paperwork and shifting boxes meanwhile the district nursing service was suffering big time due to staff shortages. So today she got her bosses to allow her to go back to district nursing going out seeing patients to make proper use of her skills that she has built up in nursing for 30 years.

This was not before tho today she was asked to go in to a 'Virus Prevention' meeting. She opened the door to the small meeting room only to find it rammed full with a dozen people sitting shoulder to shoulder. She declined to go in and instead got any questions for her relayed to her in the corridor.

On the way back home today too she got delayed in her car at a roundabout unable to move for 40 mins due to the queues of people waiting to use the McDonalds drive-thru.

It's a strange world

87 more deaths yesterday. Please stay at home.
11,700 ex NHS returning to the front line, that's brilliant.

5th year medics and 3rd year nurses getting called up early.

I think I heard that's 35,000 extra NHS staff in total.

Last edited:
Someone today came up with an absolutely cracking idea. You've probably seen the photo's of jam packed tube trains this morning and yesterday. That really is going to spread the virus, and needs sorting. A lot of those people are NHS staff in one way or another. This person said let those NHS staff that have a car, travel in by car, and park for free at any car park that is now not being used, and is doing nothing being empty. So for example, Bars, Restaurants, Gyms, Cinema's, etc, etc. The thing that stops them using the car even tho there's less traffic, is the cost of parking and the congestion charge if applicable. So free parking, no congestion charge. Less people using the tube, making more space to keep distance. Less spread of the virus. NHS staff will get free parking at Hospitals from April2020, but only night shifts. Come on government. Get creative, and reduce people using the tube.

Bannatyne has agreed to let NHS staff use his car parks.

87 more deaths yesterday. Please stay at home.
11,700 ex NHS returning to the front line, that's brilliant.

5th year medics and 3rd year nurses getting called up early.

I think I heard that's 35,000 extra NHS staff in total.
Re my earlier posts-earlier years are also being asked to volunteer . 1st years childcare for NHS staff, other years porters, admin , etc.
My daughter was due to start work as a doctor in September, they have been told this will be brought forward but no gate given, unofficially June- but they know could be earlier

The government has issued an urgent call for a quarter of a million people to register as a volunteer for the NHS to help tackle the coronavirus crisis.

safe_image.php

My daughter is a 2nd year Student Nurse looks like she is getting called up. Emergency education measures. She will be supernumerary so included in the official head count. Only just started her 2nd year on 1st March.

80% of her time in clinical practice all unpaid!
Scrap the uni fees for nurses NOW.

Update she might be getting paid.

Last edited:
My daughter is a 2nd year Student Nurse looks like she is getting called up. Emergency education measures. She will be supernumerary so included in the official head count. Only just started her 2nd year on 1st March.

they are getting found out now ... scrapped the bursaries ,, and nurses doing the training do 50% of course as hands on work .... in effect paying for the privelege of looking after our sick ....

not scrap the fees PAY THEM for training .

Some PPE in a major London hospital is goggles from Screwfix .

I have tried to get them to issue parking permits so they can drive in ....

a really simple thing that takes an hour and a photo copier - council says hospital have to do it ... pass the effing parcel bureaucrats.. like the hopsital know how to suspend parking bays ..

My daughter has been told the pay will be £9.21

and 100% they should not be paying fees, and every nurse/ trainee nurse should be getting a refund ( nothing to do with Coronavirus- it’s just wrong)

they are getting found out now ... scrapped the bursaries ,, and nurses doing the training do 50% of course as hands on work .... in effect paying for the privelege of looking after our sick ....

not scrap the fees PAY THEM for training .

Some PPE in a major London hospital is goggles from Screwfix .

I have tried to get them to issue parking permits so they can drive in ....

a really simple thing that takes an hour and a photo copier - council says hospital have to do it ... pass the effing parcel bureaucrats.. like the hopsital know how to suspend parking bays ..

My wife was a bank nurse until recently. Last year they cut her hourly rate down and removed her holiday entitlement. It was such a good way to motivate her that shes ended up quoitting the job. When this is all over I hope there is a reckoning, and we can pay people what they are worth. We have virologists who trying to fix this on 18k a year and footballers on more than that a week.

All I've seen the last 3 days on all the news channels, is NHS staff saying that they haven't got the various PPE equipment, despite Hancock saying they have. He should have said that only some have got it, and hopefully all will get it. Some were in tears saying they are seeing death, so need the equipment to try and ward it off. One large firm that makes it, said on Monday, that they are getting loads of orders from other Countries, but none from our government. There seems to be delivery problems, and a shortage of certain items.

Not sure whether this has already be mentioned but the the current position on the availability of dentists is this:
  • All routine, non-urgent dental care should be stopped and deferred until otherwise advised.
  • All practices should establish (independently or by collaboration with others) a remote urgent care service, providing telephone triage for their patients with urgent needs during usual working hours, and whenever possible treating with advice, analgesia and antimicrobial means where appropriate.
  • If the patient’s condition cannot be managed by these means, then they will need to be referred to their local urgent dental care system.
We only discovered this as Mrs RHB has an abscess forming on one of her teeth. She was given an emergency contact number when she rang her surgery via a recorded message. Rang that and actually got her dentist who is going to check her notes and then prescribe antibiotics today. I was impressed at that!

Wishing her the very best of luck! You should be very proud of her.

Just noticed on my BT account that they have finally addressed the sports subscription issue
You can either have your account credited until such time live sport returns of they will donate your subscription to the NHS.

Back