• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The No. 9 Question

With Ranger out for some time, who would you like to see given a run as our target man?

• Acquah

• Goodship

• Akinola

• Holmes

• Dieng

• Halford

• Rush

• Jay Simpson

• Someone else

Results are only viewable after voting.
Has been playing either from the start or coming off the bench nearly every game and has scored one goal, not up to this level and he won’t keep us up, the quicker he goes the better complete waste of space.

His stats aren't much different than any of our forwards - so you want to get rid of all our forwards or is there another reason you're picking on Acquah?

Think Acquah is the only one who can play that position- my concern is Tuesday would be his 3rd game in six days.

Why are you concerned about Acquah playing 3 games in 6 days; half our team are in the same boat, and some have been playing a lot longer!

Has been playing either from the start or coming off the bench nearly every game and has scored one goal, not up to this level and he won’t keep us up, the quicker he goes the better complete waste of space.
As opposed to Akinola (who has played only 14 minutes less than Acquah) who has scored 2 goals. I'm guessing you don't think Akinola is rubbish, is that one extra goal really that important? Both are important players for us despite their lack of goals.

I think Acquah has to continue at No9.
Yes a WIP , but I think he's performed really well in our recent run of games and despite him not scoring ( maybe when he could have done better ) he has allowed ANG and Akinola more freedom.
Akinola plays better out wide IMO and playing Acquah gives us that option.
I hope Good ship comes good ( no pun intended ) , but to me he is one of those players that doesn't want to get involves and frankly doesn't look up for the fight.
It maybe that his body language is different , but he doesn't look like he'll give defenders a hard time.
Yes I know Acquah needs to use his size more , but he's improving and think he's our best option right now.
Interesting to see other views on this. I'd have thought effort was the last thing to be questioned when talking of Goodship - granted he hasn't set the world alight but I generally think he puts a shift in. I tend to remember his quite passionate celebration when we beat Wallsall so I never questioned him being up for the fight.

Why are you concerned about Acquah playing 3 games in 6 days; half our team are in the same boat, and some have been playing a lot longer!

Because if we lose Acquah, we don't have any other obvious options whereas we have more cover in defence and midfield

I actually think acquah hold up play is decent at times, it's just when he in front of goal he needs to be more clinical. Regards to the false 9 role, dieng might be decent shout due to his size and should be commanding in the air and does have shot on him.
Agreed on Dieng being an interesting shout, if he wasn't so important to our midfield at the second then he could be a good option to rotate when Acquah needs a rest. When Olayinka is back we might be able to do that.

What is a false 9
It's when the player furthest up the pitch is actually a midfielder rather than a striker, e.g. with the current Liverpool side Firmino is usually positioned highest up the pitch yet rather than staying up field (as strikers normally would) his primary role is to run away from goal to help the midfield out and may even end up dropping deeper than the other midfielders at times. (This differs from a target man since, whilst a target man isn't expected to score too many goals, he is meant to stay high up the pitch the majority of the game rather than running back into midfield.)

The idea is that if the highest man up the pitch is actually a midfielder then it's a lot harder for centre backs to deal with because if the False 9 drops back to midfield then the centre backs can't really follow him without leaving a massive gap at the back for a winger to cut in and run in to. This often means teams using a False 9 can dominate the midfield because they'll have superior numbers.

I'm not convinced it will work out that well for us though. When a False 9 is used you typically need wingers and midfielders to push forwards so that there are still options up front (given there isn't actually a striker on the pitch), plenty of top sides like Barcelona and Man City have ample talent that can do that but we're a lot more limited on that front and I can see a False 9 resulting in us frequently playing crosses into an empty box.

Some, like me were hoping (maybe clinging to the impossible) that Nile Ranger could answer our target man issues. Obviously not!

Who would you play up top, say for the next 6 games?

I think Emile has improved in recent games, but I still think he’s WIP. But, we don’t have a lot of other options.

Maybe Goodship? Surely as an out an out striker, with good service he’d score - after all he does have a decent track record. I know he’s been criticised, but was generally played out of position in those games. I’d be interested to see how he fairs with decent service from Akinola, Holmes / Olayinka and ANG.

Anyone want to take a bite at this one?
Was he though? Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but from what I remember, when we signed him it was confirmed that he plays from a wide position and is, in no way, a centre forward 'line leader'.

I think Akwaaaaaah (FGR commentary voice) has to be start for as long as he can take the quick succession of games. He's really our only option for such a role and is learning and improving with each game.

It's when the player furthest up the pitch is actually a midfielder rather than a striker, e.g. with the current Liverpool side Firmino is usually positioned highest up the pitch yet rather than staying up field (as strikers normally would) his primary role is to run away from goal to help the midfield out and may even end up dropping deeper than the other midfielders at times. (This differs from a target man since, whilst a target man isn't expected to score too many goals, he is meant to stay high up the pitch the majority of the game rather than running back into midfield.)

The idea is that if the highest man up the pitch is actually a midfielder then it's a lot harder for centre backs to deal with because if the False 9 drops back to midfield then the centre backs can't really follow him without leaving a massive gap at the back for a winger to cut in and run in to. This often means teams using a False 9 can dominate the midfield because they'll have superior numbers.

I'm not convinced it will work out that well for us though. When a False 9 is used you typically need wingers and midfielders to push forwards so that there are still options up front (given there isn't actually a striker on the pitch), plenty of top sides like Barcelona and Man City have ample talent that can do that but we're a lot more limited on that front and I can see a False 9 resulting in us frequently playing crosses into an empty box.

Proper football explanation, thank you for that.

I agree, it sounds like something top teams can do with good effect but not so much at our level with the limitations that come with that. If the support was there then in theory I think acquah could pull that role off if he releases the ball earlier and the bodies are committed forward.

Division 4 scrapping for our survival, the form since the embargo indicates we are improved and are no longer the laughing stock of the division ( if only it was lifted sooner) so for me we keep it as is. Keep it simple and keep fighting for everything.

In answer to the thread question about no 9 question, it is emile for me. In the first 45 emile and dieng were our best players on Saturday if one of those chances had been buried that first 45 minutes would have been glowing from the majority. Wary of putting too many minutes into young legs tomorrow but emile Holmes and ANG to start for me. Rotate and take this is a free hit with focus turned to the run of winnable fixtures in March thay follows

Just out of interest --- does anyone know Roy McDonough's goalscoring record for us ? You need to discount penalties as a big portion of his goals came from the spot. I only ask as he was classed as a club legend, despite having a similar turn of pace to young Emile , and possibly the same chance/ goal ratio. I realise Donut had already lots of experience at Chelsea, Brum , Walsall etc before he joined us but i see similarities that we tend to forget. Both have a velcro like 1st touch . Can hold off defenders using strength and cunning.
Ok, so Roy could stand on his head whilst downing a pint , he could win a gold medal for elbowing a centre half off the ball , occasionally he could last 90 minutes without the early bath. My mate once had a t-shirt " I was there when Donut scored " . Club legend.

Now ive been a big critic of Emile as my thoughts over the past 2 years were : Doesnt win any headers. Cant sprint. No presence. No nastiness. His brain is 5 seconds too slow. No left foot. No movement off the ball.

But what we all forget is he is young kid learning his trade! Coz of his size we assume he should be better , but what i do see is big , big improvements .... His 1st touch has massively improved , He actually has really quick feet and his spin and turn onto his right foot is superb. His hold up play is getting much better, he is now learning to be more aware of his team mates. His chasing lost causes havent gone unnoticed. His brain i would say is now just 1 second slow - but this is a compliment compared to how he was 18 months ago. He is learning and i for one think he is now a valuable asset to our team. Who else are we going to play up front? Goodship isnt brave enough + wont put his head anywhere near the ball. Hackett-Fairchild can run the channels but not sure if he can nod a ball on? Holmes , ANG & Louie Walsh are better from wider + deeper. Akinola is absolutely superb but looks better coming from wide. Halford can do the job well for 20 minutes but looks sluggish if asked to do any longer.

If Acquah can continue learning , especially how to move off the ball , make space , put the CB under more pressure in the air , gain a little more aggression, i think he will become a fans firm favourite within a year. There you go . I never thought i'd say that !
:LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter:

As opposed to Akinola (who has played only 14 minutes less than Acquah) who has scored 2 goals. I'm guessing you don't think Akinola is rubbish, is that one extra goal really that important? Both are important players for us despite their lack of goals.

Acquah has scored the same number of goals this season as Akinola from a similar number of minutes on the pitch.

More importantly Acquah's last 8 starts since scoring the winner as sub at Walsall

Saturday H v 10th place Salford - draw
A v 2nd place Forest Green - win
A v top of the table Cambridge - draw
H v top of the table Cambridge - we lost but we were drawing when he was subbed
A v Mansfield -we drew but were winning when he was subbed
H v Grimsby - win but were drawing when he was subbed
H v Scunthorpe - win
A v Stevenage - draw

That's all his last 8 starts when he left the pitch we were winning or at least drawing.

Acquah has scored the same number of goals this season as Akinola from a similar number of minutes on the pitch.

More importantly Acquah's last 8 starts since scoring the winner as sub at Walsall

Saturday H v 10th place Salford - draw
A v 2nd place Forest Green - win
A v top of the table Cambridge - draw
H v top of the table Cambridge - we lost but we were drawing when he was subbed
A v Mansfield -we drew but were winning when he was subbed
H v Grimsby - win but were drawing when he was subbed
H v Scunthorpe - win
A v Stevenage - draw

That's all his last 8 starts when he left the pitch we were winning or at least drawing.
A lot of websites still incorrectly attribute the Morecambe own goal to Acquah so he's actually scored 1 less than Akinola but yeah I agree, the formation that works for us is reliant on a target man and Acquah is the most natural fit for that role, so we're a better team with him on the pitch.

Not too sure why 12 people have voted for 5ft 9 Jay Simpson who doesn’t even play for us to be our next target man!

I feel another difficulty for Acquah learning his trade is who he’s learning it from. We don’t exactly have another experienced centre forward to be passing on their wisdom do we.

Think EA may shade the vote here ! ☝️

FWIW We know Emile’s family, through teaching (as Emile’s dad is a school teacher) he’s a decent and intelligent lad and agree that some of the criticism he’s had is very unfair and at times shameful.

In terms of where he’s at and potential, right now L2 is his level, he has a lot to learn but at the same time experience will not do him any harm providing he gets the right support and guidance. Personally I think he needs to use his size to better effect and become a bit more aggressive, but he’s a young lad and that may come with time. I did think his positional play is improving so hopefully goals will come.

I also think it’s a lot of pressure for him and we need Goodship to step up. I’m still not sure he’s been given the opportunity to play as a central striker, and Emile will need a rest soon. Cannot see another option right now.

It’s also good that MM has faith in Emile. If Sol had his way he’d be out of the club by now, as there was a massive rift developing there.

Tell his dad to pass on the message to Emile, he need to run more, put real pressure on opposition defender as their control of the ball is poor, try put himself in good position to score, work bit harder and use his pace & strength as Salford defender don’t seem to try and win the ball off him when their keeper saved his shot. I think he playing 50% of his potential.

We are now roughly two thirds of the way through the season and a check of the leading League 2 goalscorers reveals that only twelve players have scored ten goals of more. Of those twelve two each play for Cambridge and Exeter (Mullin and Ironside and Bowman and Jay) which means that no less than fourteen clubs do not have even one player who has yet scored ten goals or more.
Posters can lament Acquah's deficiencies but the truth is that regular goalscorers seem to be very thin on the ground.
This may be partly due to the way the game is now played. Hard as it maybe for traditionalists to accept it may be now out of date to expect the man playing furthest up the pitch to be a prolific, or, even semi regular, goalscorer.
It seems to me that MM usually sets up to play a counter attacking game where he is happy to cede possession as long as space is denied to the opposition.
Acquah is not played as a goalscorer but more as a link man for when we transition from defence to attack. This is in addition to his expected duties off the ball when the opposition are in possession.
This begs the question: (to me at least) is this MM's preferred style of playing or is it the game plan he feels is best suited to the players he has at his disposal?

Back