• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The official 21/22 Division 5 thread

Not Southend-related per se, but this is what we're up against with Wrexham and Stockport this season. I'll be shocked if those 2 don't run away with the the top 2 spots.

Screenshot_20210723-125215_Twitter.jpg

Not Southend-related per se, but this is what we're up against with Wrexham and Stockport this season. I'll be shocked if those 2 don't run away with the the top 2 spots.

View attachment 16238
Seem to remember seeing that the National League clubs had voted in favour of a wage cap. How have Wrexham managed to get around that? (Unless it isn’t in place yet). This is a crazy signing considering every L1 club and maybe even a couple of smaller Championship clubs would have probably taken him.

Just goes to show how expectations of promotion this season are well wide of the mark.

Seem to remember seeing that the National League clubs had voted in favour of a wage cap. How have Wrexham managed to get around that? (Unless it isn’t in place yet). This is a crazy signing considering every L1 club and maybe even a couple of smaller Championship clubs would have probably taken him.

Just goes to show how expectations of promotion this season are well wide of the mark.
Doesn't come into force until next season, so they will be gambling on promotion this season.

And if that £3k per week was 10% of the entire budget then people would be rightly suggest no lessons have been learnt. And if that striker gets injured first game of the season and is out for 3 months...

I think thus far the approach has been pretty sensible. Two or three gaps we must still fill with right people but positive so far..

BTW interesting to go on the Wrexham forum and see many on there are pretty underwhelmed with their signings to date. Supporters generally are never happy.
Think that might have changed with them signing Paul Mullin though, what a signing that is for them. Anyone who thinks we're walking the league is going to be in for a big shock.

View attachment 16238
That's incredible, a non league club signing a prolific striker from a League 2 club who I am sure would have had offers from Championship and League 1 clubs. Shows that money rules.

That’s an incredible signing for this level. I personally wasn’t expecting us back up first time. But this shows the clout of others and to be honest I’d be surprised if we got near. (Would be pleasantly surprised though ?)

They will certainly be expecting the Mullin from last season than the one from the seasons before- last season with Cambridge scored more goals than in his previous 200+ appearances.

Question- who is the better bet a Murphy who has consistently scored regularly wherever he has been in both EFL and NL- or someone who has had one fantastic season having been far from prolific prior...
I guess it’s something else to find out in the coming season..

They will certainly be expecting the Mullin from last season than the one from the seasons before- last season with Cambridge scored more goals than in his previous 200+ appearances.

Question- who is the better bet a Murphy who has consistently scored regularly wherever he has been in both EFL and NL- or someone who has had one fantastic season having been far from prolific prior...

This is the thing. Sometimes a certain team style, squad and manager all fits for one season.

I take a genuine interest in everything football in the lower leagues, not just my club, and I would never have guessed Mullin would be that good last year.

It happens all the time though. No one would have predicted that Gavin Tomlin would have done as well as he did the season he played with Britt, but everything worked in his favour. He never replicated that thereafter.

Like you say, investing in a steady consistent scorer would normally be more favourable than a player that has done it once. Huge gamble like I said.

Wow! That some signing for wrexham...... show you what money can get you. If brown gets sufc into the play offs then in my opinion he done decent job.

Last season was Mullin's most consistent run in a team. Prior to that his minutes were either limited or was played in a wide position.

His record reminds me of Barry Corr. Did average elsewhere, but found a team that played to his strengths and got the best out of him. Similar age too, both were 25 before they had their break through season.

I know that money talks, but it will be interesting to see how he does. From the outside it looked like Cambridge suited him and another great season in League 1 could have earned him a much bigger move with a bigger wage. If he doesn't have a prolific season, he could easily be put in the "one-season wonder" category and not playing above League 2 again.

Happy with this, but thats 6 strikers on the books. Keeping them all happy will be a problem.

Attachments

• A72774AA-E59C-49AB-9328-7F0F59C0A02D.jpeg
    A72774AA-E59C-49AB-9328-7F0F59C0A02D.jpeg
    274.5 KB · Views: 16
A canny signing this too.

Stockport County have signed Manchester United centre-back Will Fish on loan for the 2021-22 campaign.

The 18-year-old was a regular in the Red Devils' under-23 side last season and made his Premier League debut as a late substitute against Wolves in May.

Back