• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
I went along this afternoon to see the Olympic Flame pass through our nation's fine capital. I for one, am excited about the prospect of the Olympics coming to Britain in 4 years time.

For me there is something special about the Olympics going all the way back to its roots in Ancient Greece. An event for which all wars ceased, an event for which all participants and spectators were given free passage there and back.

Instead of this celebration of the best of humanity, the event was hi-jacked by a handful of tree-huggers and I was frightened to do so much as light a match in case I was jumped on by some do-gooders armed with a fire extinguisher.

It made the event something of an anti-climax, instead of being able to reach out and pat on the back the bearer of the symbol, spectators waving their Olympic and Chinese flags were held back, with the bearer of this sacred flame that has burnt since 1928, obscured from view by the phalanx - who says the Olympic Torch organisers weren't keeping true to its Ancient Greek origins - of police officers, sinisterly dressed in black, running alongside.

I had read that the flame was supposed to be transported by bus at this point - ridiculously the flame was to be transported on foot, by bus, DLR, river etc to show off London's transport connections, which smacks of Red Ken - but I noticed that the bus following the flame was not a bendy bus despite the fact that it was only bendy buses which normally run along that route. 1-0 Boris obviously.

However there was more to view than just a torch being whisked past, as we were treated to some local school kids doing some ethnic dancing (no matter where you go in the world, ethnic dancing looks all the same, its amazing how cultures thousands of miles and oceans apart could come up with such similar yet boring routines - just wearing a brightly coloured costume does not make it interesting) and a large mechanical Chinese Tiger (sort of similar to the dragons they have at Chinese New Year, but seemingly constructed out of one of the market stalls that normally line the route) and Emperor on stilts routine. Apparently tigers aren't quite yet extinct in China. I checked and the tiger didn't appear to have a knob. No doubt cut off by poachers to be used as an aphrodisiac sold on the black market. Poor tiger, on another day it would have been animal rights protesters protesting and he might have been protected and still had his manhood entact.

Fortunately as it passed through the East End my faith in humanity was restored when the locals come out from a nearby boozer, pint in hand, to applaud the Olympic flame. When a couple of demonstrators started trying to politicise this non-political celebration of humanity, by shouting slogans and waving their flags, a handful of locals responded by telling them to **** off and aiming certain hand-signals - probably as old as the original Olympics at them - at the protesters.

Of course if you had been watching the blanket coverage on News 24 or some other rolling "news" channel, you'd probably be unaware that the Olympic flame was interrupting the Free-Tibet rally that is dominating the news, or that the majority were supporting the Olympics rather than protesting at China. Indeed, there were a surprising number of China flags being waved as it passed through the predominantly Bangladeshi community that I live in.

There is a certain irony though the politicisation of a non-political sporting celebration by the BBC, a organisation who seeks to de-politicise its own political coverage, eg having the last budget analysed by Jade Goody. Heavens knows what Vanessa Feltz and Colin Jackson (or whatever heavyweight pundits they had on the case) would have made of it back in the studio during their in-depth political analysis of the Tibetan situation. I hope the point they were forcefully pushing back in the studio was that if some of the refugees out in Darfur wanted to stop the mass genocide, they would have been best off finding a school child to build a cult around, take them off to Hollywood to meet with a couple of actors and turn it into the current cause célèbre.

While i get your point, to argue that the Olympics in its modern incarnation* is non-political seems to be stretching the evidence- given for example the corruption in the IOC in the 80's/90's, all the politics around location, the links to re-generation and planning agendas, the massive amount of money/sponsorship involved. The rolling news coverage was a pile of crap because they were trying to fill up 6 hours with some pictures of a Bus and some people (understandably) trying to manhandle Konnie Huq, but I don't see why the IOC and the Olympic Movement should be immune from protest. Indeed, as an organisation that seeks to represent positive things about humanity, they should expect to be held to high standards.

*I'm sure the same is true for the Ancient Games, but i don't know enough about the history to give examples. very, very few things that involve groups of people don't have a politics about them though, IMO.

If protesters aren't allowed to link politics with sport, then why the **** was Gordon Brown involved? Everything is to do with politics and the only disappointment was that, once again, the left was disorganised and up its own **** that it couldn't cause any real damage to the Olympic machine.

Anyway, I'm boycotting the Olympics for the simple reason that they're ****. Any organisation that can **** up football deserves nothing but contempt. It's two weeks of drug-addled rubbish that no-one in their right mind would watch outside of the tournament.

I love the olympics.

It reminds me of Track and field, Hyper sports and Daley Thompsons decathlon.

The olympics are dull, I always preferred the wacky races olympics with Yogi bear and the like.

Was hardly a shocker there were protests over the weekend with China's goings on.

If protesters aren't allowed to link politics with sport, then why the **** was Gordon Brown involved? Everything is to do with politics and the only disappointment was that, once again, the left was disorganised and up its own **** that it couldn't cause any real damage to the Olympic machine.

Anyway, I'm boycotting the Olympics for the simple reason that they're ****. Any organisation that can **** up football deserves nothing but contempt. It's two weeks of drug-addled rubbish that no-one in their right mind would watch outside of the tournament.

As much as I like watching the Olympics, certain sports (Track and Field being the obvious) are just a trade fair for the the various illegal drug companies.

Fortunately as it passed through the East End my faith in humanity was restored when the locals come out from a nearby boozer, pint in hand, to applaud the Olympic flame.

I find this very frustrating. Whenever I've tried clapping with a pint on I've ended up having to buy another.

You say Gordon Brown was involved, but according to his office he didn't actually touch the Olympic Flame, so that is OK.

I find this very frustrating. Whenever I've tried clapping with a pint on I've ended up having to buy another.

Keep the hand holding the pint glass still and ensure that your pint is half empty or half full (depending on your outlook in life).

I love the Olympics, me. Looking forward to a lot of staying up/getting up at silly o'clock this August.

I'd like to have seen the torch used to burn a few of those pro-Tibet protesters too.

The rolling news coverage was a pile of crap because they were trying to fill up 6 hours with some pictures of a Bus and some people (understandably) trying to manhandle Konnie Huq, but I don't see why the IOC and the Olympic Movement should be immune from protest.

Rolling news is always **** though isn't it? The thing about news is that it's always already happened, so all you get are tiny (usually insignificant or overly subjective) fragments of details or grainy mobile phone captures filtered through over an increasingly dull timespan. It seemed odd to me though that had the Tibetan protests not been what got this onto the TV, I'd have not known about the event this weekend just gone even occurring? I've not seen one thing in the press, print media on buses or tube about the day - and it looked like someone spent a fair few quid on it.

Odd...

I too have been turned into an old cynic and I am firmly in the 'their all on drugs camp' china have a very very dodgy record when it comes to performance enhancing drugs, on the political front I thought it was a shocking decision to hold the games in china, they have an appalling human rights record, complete media control from the government and for this they get awarded the olympic games, surely the 2016 games should go to zimbabwe

I watched the British/Scottish women's curling team, in the 98 Winter Olympics, who came 4th. Great times.

Precious moments Naps. Don't lose 'em.

Is there any word yet on when - European time - all the athletics will be? I remember a bit of a row between China, the US TV networks and the European TV networks re timing of events as there's not any time that's good for all parties.

I always watch them when they're on, and find some of the events great (over the years Boardman / Holmes / Redgrave / Edwards / etc). But the debate about whether politics should be brought into the Games is surely pointless, as its already too late for that?

Its an event that (supposedly) unites every country on the planet, so everyone's going to have an opinion or objective to get out of it. And now you have the added pressure of things like sponsors - I mean, how can Coke & McDonalds really be allowed to be involved no matter how great the sum of cash on the table?

Deviating slightly, I noticed The Wildlife Photographer of the Year awards are now sponsored by Shell. You couldn't make that stuff up could you?

Back